Sheffield landlords and landladies past

Now we have the faceless 'pub manager' how about a walk down memory lane?

There was Bill Hoffman at the Stone House, a real gent, his daughter Jill runs The Sportsman at Lodge Moor.

George and Elsie Butler transformed The Hen and Chickens into the first carvery and self service salad bar in Sheffield, they also ran The Anglers Rest in Bamford and the very successful Three Cranes on Queen Street (I believe that George is still with us).

Then there was Frank and Kath Drabble who ran The Yorkshireman where workmen in work clothes were restricted to the taproom. Frank was resplendent in his Barney Goodman suit and Kath was always dressed as though she was expecting a visit from the Queen.

My favourite was the Nursery Tavern on Ecclesall Road that was run under the iron hand of the wonderful four feet eleven inch tall Vera Jenkins(Mrs Jenkins to the likes of me).

Mr and Mrs Garsyte ran the Ranmoor Inn on Fulwood Road; it was the friendliest pub in the area what with the singsongs featuring Mrs Garsyte.

Ozzie Tyler kept reinventing the Fleur de Lys at Totley and ran a Rolls Royce off the back of his wet sales (none of that food malarkey for Ozzie).

Was it Con O'Hearne at The Brunswick? It was definately the Nolans at the old Mulberry Tvern and there was Lady Pump at The Pump Tavern who was cruelly nicknamed 'Dirty Doris'. Do you remember Ron Gall at The Brown Bear on Norfolk Street with his handlebar moustache?

Just memories now, but very good ones.

We need CHAIRBOY in this thread as his knowledge of Sheffield pubs is second to none.

pete drabble at the globe howard street.

charlie bean nolfolk dixon lane

peter old queens head

dave jamieson crazy daisy

joe durrant and dave beech gossips

dave rothwell scamps

mick the landlord of the chantrey just died .ex blades player

len badger and howard shappel , sideings dronfield still got a pub near barlow [len]

just a few old landlords from sheffield area.

oh and little jerry and pat ,brittania ,nolfolk arms and sheffield arms.

Anyone recall my rellies??

Elsie & Harry Glazebrook - Roebuck Tavern 1950/60's

Hannah & George Lee - Shakespeare (heeley) 1940/50's

Fred Lee - Dog & Partridge 1950's also Wellington Arms (Darnall)

Also remember old friends of ours ran the Brown Bear & Stonehouse, Garth & Wendy

Ernie Blenkinsop and his wife ran the Sportsman at Crosspool. On a Sunday night a lady called Hetty used to collect glasses and sing us a few songs. This was early to mid sixties.

Harry Hart, 'Lion', back of the City Hall.

alf & rita pickering (lamburt gesslera) abourthorne hotel

:gag:Heres my twopennys worth from the 7os and 80s

Chuck Charlesworth-Golden Ball-Red Lion-Old Blue Ball-Three Cranes

Mick Lee-Mulberry Tavern

Roy Tomlinson-Crown INN-Neepsend

Curly Bill-Malton

Alan Barnes-Timbertops

Pete Barnes-Horse and Jockey

Jud Ingram-Captive Queen

oh the memories and the headaches

Now we have the faceless 'pub manager' how about a walk down memory lane?

There was Bill Hoffman at the Stone House, a real gent, his daughter Jill runs The Sportsman at Lodge Moor.

George and Elsie Butler transformed The Hen and Chickens into the first carvery and self service salad bar in Sheffield, they also ran The Anglers Rest in Bamford and the very successful Three Cranes on Queen Street (I believe that George is still with us).

Then there was Frank and Kath Drabble who ran The Yorkshireman where workmen in work clothes were restricted to the taproom. Frank was resplendent in his Barney Goodman suit and Kath was always dressed as though she was expecting a visit from the Queen.

My favourite was the Nursery Tavern on Ecclesall Road that was run under the iron hand of the wonderful four feet eleven inch tall Vera Jenkins(Mrs Jenkins to the likes of me).

Mr and Mrs Garsyte ran the Ranmoor Inn on Fulwood Road; it was the friendliest pub in the area what with the singsongs featuring Mrs Garsyte.

Ozzie Tyler kept reinventing the Fleur de Lys at Totley and ran a Rolls Royce off the back of his wet sales (none of that food malarkey for Ozzie).

Was it Con O'Hearne at The Brunswick? It was definately the Nolans at the old Mulberry Tvern and there was Lady Pump at The Pump Tavern who was cruelly nicknamed 'Dirty Doris'. Do you remember Ron Gall at The Brown Bear on Norfolk Street with his handlebar moustache?

Just memories now, but very good ones.

We need CHAIRBOY in this thread as his knowledge of Sheffield pubs is second to none.

How flattering, how amazing considering I'm TT!

I'll try and revert to the days when I wasn't and I certainly remember Vera Jenkins at the Nursery Tavern. Bryn at the Bull's Head, Wilf and Ella Garside were the sing-along hosts at The Ranmoor. Their son, John, was a school colleague.

Hilda Cliff or Clift, at The Prince of Wales. I have drunk in the Union Tavern at Nether Edge but never took to the Barwells.

Henry Bennett at the Rising Sun, Abbey Lane.

I remember Con Ahearne ? at The Millhouses. Frank and Ann Flynn at The Dog & Partridge, Vernon Hookway at the Original Grindstone (later Queen's Head), Bill Brookfield The Old Grindstone, later to be followed by the legendary Barry and Audrey Sandsby, then Ken. Blenky from the Sportsman at Crosspool, Tom ? King's Head - Manchester Road. Pat Shannon - Red House, Tom Boulding still at Fagin's, Les May - Hallamshire House (Commonside). A popular landlord at Crookes was John Pearson and his wife, Tina, mine hosts until a few years ago at The Noah's Ark - the likes of which have not been seen since but rumour abounds - reverberates even - that there is to be a change of ownership at the Noah's from Dec 18 - think we'll all drink to that!

I remember Bill Hoffman when he had the Sportsman at Redmires and after that the late Trevor Snell. Graham Pugh at the Rising Sun before moving to the Freemasons.

Harold 'Dizzy' Barton - Broomhill Tavern. I can't remember the landlord of The Masons at Crookes, before Maltese George, but I know he collected Wisdens! Stuart Axe - The Punch Bowl.

Ozzie Tyler - Fleur de Lys, taught his son at King Ecgberts.

Likewise a lad called Finch at High Storrs,- his dad kept The Stag on Psalter Lane. Mellors, Broomspring Tavern.

Rarely drank in town apart from D&P but recall a chap called Gagg who kept some brilliant hand-pumped Tetleys at the Red Lion on Charles Street. A similar prized product could be had at the Notty House. I remember in the 60's - a landlord called Wilson - who kept the Plough opposite Hallam sports ground - in fact the players changed kit, there. The old South Seas when it was at right-angles Crookes Rd/Fulwood Road.

Think I'd better leave it there Crookesey, otherwise people will think I'm TT as a result of liver damage!

Postscript - Club rather than pub but Joe Brown, mid 70's onwards, steward of Abbeydale Sports Club, cannot be omitted from my FORMER drinking culture!

I'll try and revert to the days when I wasn't and I certainly remember Vera Jenkins at the Nursery Tavern. Bryn at the Bull's Head, Wilf and Ella Garside were the sing-along hosts at The Ranmoor. Their son, John, was a school colleague.

Hilda Cliff or Clift, at The Prince of Wales. I have drunk in the Union Tavern at Nether Edge but never took to the Barwells.

I remember Con Ahearne ? at The Millhouses. Frank and Ann Flynn at The Dog & Partridge, Vernon Hookway at the Original Grindstone (later Queen's Head), Bill Brookfield The Old Grindstone, later to be followed by the legendary Barry and Audrey Sandsby, then Ken. Blenky from the Sportsman at Crosspool, Tom ? King's Head - Manchester Road. Pat Shannon - Red House, Tom Boulding still at Fagin's, Les May - Hallamshire House (Commonside).

I remember Bill Hoffman when he had the Sportsman at Redmires and after that the late Trevor Snell. Graham Pugh at the Rising Sun before moving to the Freemasons.

Harold 'Dizzy' Barton - Broomhill Tavern. I can't remember the landlord of The Masons at Crookes, before Maltese George, but I know he collected Wisdens! Stuart Axe - The Punch Bowl.

Likewise a lad called Finch at High Storrs,- his dad kept The Stag on Psalter Lane. Mellors, Broomspring Tavern.

Rarely drank in town apart from D&P but recall a chap called Gagg who kept some brilliant hand-pumped Tetleys at the Red Lion on Charles Street. A similar prized product could be had at the Notty House. I remember in the 60's - a landlord called Wilson - who kept the Plough opposite Hallam sports ground - in fact the players changed kit, there. The old South Seas when it was at right-angles Crookes Rd/Fulwood Road.

Think I'd better leave it there Crookesey, otherwise people will think I'm TT as a result of liver damage!

and you were a teacher :o:o top man:hihi::hihi:

and you were a teacher :o:o top man:hihi::hihi:

Absolutely! but not HEAD! Do you remember when breweries used to do promotions in The Star for free pints at certain pubs?

I used to offer a small stipend to pupils who brought me coupons to school! No wonder I can't recall all the landlords' names.

There were also the Guinness general knowledge and sporting cards where you scratched a 'veiled' face and four out of four, you got a voucher for a pint of the black stuff. It was like feeding strawberries to donkeys. I remember having 35, pint vouchers bound by a rubber band - nothing good lasts!

I also remember drawing Guinness's attention to some factual errors within their marketing department and their apology was more Guinness in cans.

I remember Con Ahearne ? at The Millhouses. Frank and Ann Flynn at The Dog & Partridge, Vernon Hookway at the Original Grindstone (later Queen's Head), Bill Brookfield The Old Grindstone, later to be followed by the legendary Barry and Audrey Sandsby, then Ken. Blenky from the Sportsman at Crosspool, Tom ? King's Head - Manchester Road. Pat Shannon - Red House, Tom Boulding still at Fagin's, Les May - Hallamshire House (Commonside).

Wow, memories indeed. The Prince of Wales at Ecclesall had the Churchillian Cecil Clift at the helm in the 50s - 60s, complete with large cigar and ably assisted by his wife Hilda who continued in the business after Cecil died.

Other Ecclesall area landlords of the day were Charles Barkwith Thompson, an ex-policeman who ran a tight ship at the Hammer and Pincers, Bents Green and Lilian Kinder the popular landlady of the Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow.

Wow, memories indeed. The Prince of Wales at Ecclesall had the Churchillian Cecil Clift at the helm in the 50s - 60s, complete with large cigar and ably assisted by his wife Hilda who continued in the business after Cecil died.

Other Ecclesall area landlords of the day were Charles Barkwith Thompson, an ex-policeman who ran a tight ship at the Hammer and Pincers, Bents Green and Lilian Kinder the popular landlady of the Norfolk Arms, Ringinglow.

Memories, likewise. We used to go to the Norfolk Arms after staff cricket at High Storrs. The penny has dropped with the name of the licensee of the Hammer. Wasn't that gentleman, C.B.Thompson the chairman of the licensed victuallers? if so, I can picture him now - gosh we went in enough times at the end of terms. I liked the PoW in that you could have a pint (DD draught with 1/2 a Tetleys). Can't remember the landlord of the Brincliffe Oaks but saw plenty off in there before Nether Edge Hall - latterly Turn-Ups.