Drake House, Beighton

Anybody like to identify photo No6 from the photographs submitted by Lostrider. For a while I thought it was down the backs of Victoria Road but after studying it I realize it can't be. Good picture though, full of atmosphere.

Isn't it looking towards Norcroft/Cliff Wheel from Woodhouse Avenue..?

Anybody like to identify photo No6 from the photographs submitted by Lostrider. For a while I thought it was down the backs of Victoria Road but after studying it I realize it can't be. Good picture though, full of atmosphere.

I think this is taken from my Grans window on Woodhouse Avenue. It is looking towards the hill which goes upto Woodhouse past the Recycling yard. The block of houses you can see were on the right hand side of the road heading towards woodhouse and were pulled down to make way for the new road system.

I think you will find that pic 3 was taken down the side of the slag heap attached to the old East Birley pit. Ran all the way from Coisley hill to Cliff Wheel bottom.

As a kid we used to go up the fields from off Robin lane and down on to the stream it was bright orange with what now know was iron oxdide and used to be warm

All gone now to make way fro Shirebrook VAlley and roads

Used to play down there as kids. Try to see who could jump across the widest bit until somebody fell in the water (if you could call it that). It was the treated but still smellly water from the sewage treatment plant at Shirebrook. How we never got typhoid I'll never know.

I think this is taken from my Grans window on Woodhouse Avenue. It is looking towards the hill which goes upto Woodhouse past the Recycling yard. The block of houses you can see were on the right hand side of the road heading towards woodhouse and were pulled down to make way for the new road system.

They were pulled down long before the new road...

Used to play down there as kids. Try to see who could jump across the widest bit until somebody fell in the water (if you could call it that). It was the treated but still smellly water from the sewage treatment plant at Shirebrook. How we never got typhoid I'll never know.

I can remember all the foam that ther used to be in the water...no idea what it was...

we used to call it dyke jumping. i remember falling in and getting socks full of little red bloodworm

Hi, I know it's ages since you posted the message about Beighton seeming like it was a nice place before Crystal Peaks was built....well it certainly was. I was born and was brought up there, and I have wonderful memories of living in the village. We lived in the Steel houses on Cairns Rd, with the single storey pre fabs across the road from us. There was a street full of kids, and we played out all day long - no cars - well very very few, so we played on the road a lot. All the houses had big gardens so we spent hours making dens and had the run of most of the gardens. From being about 9 or 10 we were allowed to go down to Sothal swings. We never called it Sothal though....that was the 'posh' name. It was (pronounced) Sewerter. In our teens, my friends and I would go 'ladding it' to Swallownest, Killamarsh, Hackenthorpe.....all distinct villages. All the families knew each other on the street where you lived so we knew we had better behave or our parents would find out - and we would be in trouble! Fantastic childhood - such good times. I don't envy kids today anything. I know it sounds corny, but none of us had anything to brag about - we were all pretty poor, but it never bothered us. We had the freedom to get outside with our mates and have fun without fear and anxiety about what might happen to us.

Regards

JuneLambert

It was not from the old sweage works it was pumped out of the pit that was why it had a lot of iron oxide in it giving the orange colour

my grandparents had sothall club in the 60s and it was a great club

Hi, I know it's ages since you posted the message about Beighton seeming like it was a nice place before Crystal Peaks was built....well it certainly was. I was born and was brought up there, and I have wonderful memories of living in the village. We lived in the Steel houses on Cairns Rd, with the single storey pre fabs across the road from us. ..........

I agree was a nice place to grow up in,a long time ago. I was wondering if you knew what became of a family on Cairns Road, Hutley, who lived opposite my grandparents place at 10 Cairns Road?

Hi, I know it's ages since you posted the message about Beighton seeming like it was a nice place before Crystal Peaks was built....well it certainly was. I was born and was brought up there, and I have wonderful memories of living in the village. We lived in the Steel houses on Cairns Rd, with the single storey pre fabs across the road from us. There was a street full of kids, and we played out all day long - no cars - well very very few, so we played on the road a lot. All the houses had big gardens so we spent hours making dens and had the run of most of the gardens. From being about 9 or 10 we were allowed to go down to Sothal swings. We never called it Sothal though....that was the 'posh' name. It was (pronounced) Sewerter. In our teens, my friends and I would go 'ladding it' to Swallownest, Killamarsh, Hackenthorpe.....all distinct villages. All the families knew each other on the street where you lived so we knew we had better behave or our parents would find out - and we would be in trouble! Fantastic childhood - such good times. I don't envy kids today anything. I know it sounds corny, but none of us had anything to brag about - we were all pretty poor, but it never bothered us. We had the freedom to get outside with our mates and have fun without fear and anxiety about what might happen to us.

Regards

JuneLambert

My wife Gillian comes from the steel houses on Cairns Road. number 61. next door down was Derek Norris and further down was her uncle Jack Turton. we lived there for the first year of getting married (1971). by then the prefab bungalows across had gone.

Have just come across the old posts re Drake House, Beighton. Did some genealogy research a few years back and found that a family called Scales lived in Drake House (farm) in the 16th and early 17th century. They were yeoman farmers. This old Drake House farm was probably on the site of the later 18th? century building, the photographs of which survive. Remember seeing a photograph somewhere of an old sword that had an association with Drake House - does anyone know more about its origins?