Radio comedy from the 50s-60s

Does anyone remember the radio serial "Journey into space" circa 1950,weekly on Monday nights. An absolute must. They landed men on the moon years before 1969!! Cast members included,Andrew Faulds,David Jacobs and David Kossoff. Millions would tune in - before TV of course.

Hello Blitzer. Used to scare the pants off me...Jet, Doc, Mitch and Lemmy if I remember correctly

Does anyone remember listening to "The Man in Black" (aka Valentine Dyall) in "Appointment with Fear" in the late 40's and early '50s?

The Man in Black

I do! :)

I was going to mention this one but it was hardly a barrel of laughs, was it? Listening to it on a winters night, just me and my Mom, scared the cr** out of us. That music, I can hear it now. A precursor to 'Psycho.'

I was going to mention this one but it was hardly a barrel of laughs, was it? Listening to it on a winters night, just me and my Mom, scared the cr** out of us. That music, I can hear it now. A precursor to 'Psycho.'

It certainly wasn't a "comedy" programme, Texas. That's for sure!

Sorry, I deviated slightly away from the Thread title.... :)

i have led a sheltered life. i thought it was only me who listened to old radio shows,cant go back as far as the 50`s though but they sound great.my favourate still is the clithero kid an it worked just as well on tv..saturday tea time after the wrestling.those superb athletes,it wasent acting you know,les kellet,mick mac mannus,big daddy an after footie results jimmy clithero.brill

For me it has to be the Goons. Only they could come with with digging up Dartmoor Prison, replacing it with a cardboad replica,and towing it across the English Channel to France - all because prisoners were cheaper to get in France!

For one of the all time favourite sketches listen

I think it was 'Hazel' who mentioned 'Wakey' Wakey' (the Billy Cotton Band Show), on her favorites on Sundays long gone. Well, I came across a obitury in the Times the other day, it was for Richard Willcox, who produced the show. Apart from 'Wakey, Wakey' he produced a number of programmes including The Impressionists, Pop Score, Jazz Score, and other variety shows. He also played a good jazz trombone. But best of all he was born in Sheffield, 1938, any old folk know him?

I should imagine he was up and gone as soon as he came of age.

Radio or tv not sure but Hilda Baker ( she knows you know ) what was her sidekicks name

For me it has to be the Goons. Only they could come with with digging up Dartmoor Prison, replacing it with a cardboad replica,and towing it across the English Channel to France - all because prisoners were cheaper to get in France!

...and whilst at sea, digging through the floor to get to the treasure.

As the water poured in, Spike (I think it was) cried out

"Look! We're rich! We're rich!"

Brilliant stuff.....

Radio or tv not sure but Hilda Baker ( she knows you know ) what was her sidekicks name

That was "Cynthia" (played by a man in drag). Hylda worked in music hall and radio but her real forte was TV, especially playing the part of Nellie Pledge opposite Jimmy Jewel in "Nearest and Dearest" (late 1960s/early 1970s)

Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewel

Which was the one about the Pickle factory owned by her and her brother, was that Nearest and Dearest?

When she looked at the time on her watch.....she said "Oh I must get another finger ut on this watch" Can't remember whether Cynthia was in that

hazel

Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewel

Which was the one about the Pickle factory owned by her and her brother, was that Nearest and Dearest?

When she looked at the time on her watch.....she said "Oh I must get another finger ut on this watch" Can't remember whether Cynthia was in that

hazel

Yes - that was it; Nellie and Eli (Hylda and Jimmy) had inherited a pickle business "Pledges Purer Pickles" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest_and_Dearest The watch with the missing finger was a regular Hylda Baker line.