Real wood v laminate flooring, advice needed.

Hi everyone,

Apart from the cost differences what are people's experiences of real wood v laminate flooring.

We were considering real wood but someone's told us that they show up scratches alot more than the cheaper laminates. As it will be used in the living room with kids/toys etc is laminate the better option? :help:

Also, any suggestions for where to buy would be good. Whats your good/bad experiences of places that sell flooring.

Cheers.

Go for good quality click laminate.

Real wood costs loads more plus it dents, scratches, fades in direct sunlight...allsorts

good laminate looks good, is tough, easy to replace and dosent cost the earth

well...i have laminate....and i hate it...its cold...really cold,

we have wooden floor in our bedroom and that is so much warmer.... it does show marks and scratches but to be honest i don't mind them...its natural.

we are now taking up our laminate..as it really is too cold.

laminate very soon looks nasty and cheep as it gets worn, i have real wood and it actually improves with age is nice and warm looks expensive and will last for ever

I have a laminate in the kitchen and its getting ripped up as soon as i can afford a new floor it is cold has worn really badly and was a false economy

If I was your neighbour, "Neither, thanks" would be my answer!

We have some laminate flooring in our flat (rented) and although it looks good I'd never by it for a place of my own. I think carpets make a place feel warmer and softer

Wooden flooring every time, it looks so much warmer and improves with age. However, if it's for kids to play on go for the laminate as it will clean more easily and won't break your heart when they dig sharp objects into it. When they're grown up, get rid of it.

My point with laminate was purely based upon it was to be used in the room with kids and toys, i agree its not as warm as carpet nor looks as good as a nice polished wooden floor but it is tough without breaking the bank and remember that there are cheap crappy laminates as well as quality expensive ones, just the same with carpets

If money is no problem forget laminate and wood, go for the best axeminster you can afford with 150lb underlay and a genuine persian rug to set it all off.

im sure it will look ace covered in ribena!

My point with laminate was purely based upon it was to be used in the room with kids and toys, i agree its not as warm as carpet nor looks as good as a nice polished wooden floor but it is tough without breaking the bank and remember that there are cheap crappy laminates as well as quality expensive ones, just the same with carpets

If money is no problem forget laminate and wood, go for the best axeminster you can afford with 150lb underlay and a genuine persian rug to set it all off.

im sure it will look ace covered in ribena!

Thanks squirrel. This post made me laugh. :hihi::hihi:

Yep, I prefer carpet but it just aint practical. My current carpet has been used by my kids for 1 yr now and its disgusting. I have a budding 3 yrs old picasso who is not only liable to draw on the walls if you take your eyes off him for one second but he has been known to take felt tips to our current carpet and rug!!!

I think my best option for the next few years is a quality laminate with cheap rugs on top to keep it warm and can be replaced easily should the worst happen. I would prefer real wood but these posts confirm what I have been told in that it will not go down too well with all the rough, tumble, scratches etc that will be inflicted on it.

Thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

we do not have any carpets at all. Try One Step Laminate flooring easy to clean with v grooves looks like real wood flooring and is guaranteed for 20 years. So it works out quite cheap in the long run, Remember in Summer its bliss, Winter there are rugs if you want one.

It is a case of balancing up the fact that you get what you pay for with how long you want your wood floor to last and how much effort you are prepared to put into refinishing it. How did you get on with the laminate flooring by the way?

Wood Floor Profiler Test

WHY do they make real wood flooring look like laminate???

Ive been hunting around everywhere trying to find real oak flooring but all i can find is solid wood flooring that looks exactly like laminate. Isnt the whole point of getting wooden flooring so that it looks and feels like wood? O and they are all giving the impression of short and thin tiny planks of wood. I want larger and fatter style planks.

Basically im trying to find some solid wood flooring that you can feel the grain in and that isnt super high glossy/ polished, i want a more natural look. I cant find this anywhere.

Any suggestions??