Police pay and strike action in Sheffield?

what do you think certain areas in Sheffield would be like if the police decided to go on strike over the recent pay rise offered by the government?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7132024.stm

do you think they should??

do you think they are paid enough??

i for one think they should be paid more but do not believe they should strike. i think no emergency service should be allowed to strike due to the nature of the job they carry out. BUT they deserve fair pay for a dangerous job.......give them (all emergency services and armed forces) what they deserve as they are the glue to this very fragile society we live in today

what do you think certain areas in Sheffield would be like if the police decided to go on strike over the recent pay rise offered by the government?

i for one think they should be paid more but do not believe they should strike. i think no emergency service should be allowed to strike due to the nature of the job they carry out. BUT they deserve fair pay for a dangerous job.......give them (all emergency services and armed forces) what they deserve as they are the glue to this very fragile society we live in today

A strike by the Police Officers in a civilised society is not an option.

The Government must listen to commonsense and back date the pay increase to September and stop listening to senior Civil Servants who are only interested in bringing the Labour Governments downfall. That is thee option.

No one wants a cop until they need one

Then they complain he did not come Quick enough!

There is an online Downing Street petition, We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to stop the Home Office from interfering in the negotiation of police pay

for anyone who feels strongly about the pay rise situation the Police Force now find themselves in.

There are other professions in the civil service where pay rises aren't backdated to when they were supposed to. I have a friend who works for the DWP and they find themselves in her area subjected to the same problem, then lose the majority of their backdated pay in taxation and deductions.

For additional information regarding the Police pay rise issue, visit Police Oracle website

i for one think they should be paid more but do not believe they should strike. i think no emergency service should be allowed to strike due to the nature of the job they carry out.

Which is, indeed, the case - only a certifiable moron would suggest the police should be allowed to strike. How many burglaries do you think there'd be on a weekend where the police have announced in advance they're not working?

But that's also the reason why their pay should be fixed by an independent body, and the Government should not be allowed to fiddle with it. If the pay increase was due in September, the Govt. should be forced to pay it from September. I believe the police union are looking into legal action to make this happen.

Well I hope they get the payrise they want, as a D.W.P worker and fellow civil servant I fully empathise. my bloody great payrise amounts to 19.50 a month (before tax) and I get to work with managers talking to lower level staff like dogs. Incidently it's right about the backdated bit just getting eaten away by tax and N.I conts.. It SUCKS

would we notice if the police went on strike then? dont think so oh hang on maybe we would the local chippy trade would be down and we could get away without car tax for a week

The lack of fully trained Police Officers on our streets is down to the Government, not the Officers themselves. They want to be out there protecting law-abiding people and catching criminals as much as we want them to, but they're trapped behind desks filling out duplicate forms to please politicians sat on their backsides in protected enclaves.

I fully support all those lads and lasses in that Thin Blue Line, but I don't believe they should strike.

Like the Armed Forces, the Police swore an oath to the Crown, and as such, their allegiance is non-political and their task is to protect Her Majesty's subjects from crime and lawlessness. The Government (and it's predecessors) have done everything in their power to control the Police and Armed Forces. I suppose theoretically, if Her Majesty told the Police to take action en masse, the Government would have no control or say in the matter.

I believe the Police were right in forfeiting their right to strike in the first instance, and feel it would be extremely detrimental to Sir Robert Peel's basic principles if they chose to rescind on that agreement. There has to be another way for these brave men and women to take action decisively, without adversely affecting the members of the public, and only the Government.

The lack of fully trained Police Officers on our streets is down to the Government, not the Officers themselves. They want to be out there protecting law-abiding people and catching criminals as much as we want them to, but they're trapped behind desks filling out duplicate forms to please politicians sat on their backsides in protected enclaves.

And some of us have met Police Officers who will use that as an excuse for not getting off their backsides. Much better to do a clerical job on police pay isn't it. Not saying that all police are like that but some seem rather reluctant to get out and do the job they're paid to do.

i thought the police were already well paid

And some of us have met Police Officers who will use that as an excuse for not getting off their backsides. Much better to do a clerical job on police pay isn't it. Not saying that all police are like that but some seem rather reluctant to get out and do the job they're paid to do.

Filling in those forms IS, now, the job they're paid to do.

would we notice if the police went on strike then? dont think so oh hang on maybe we would the local chippy trade would be down and we could get away without car tax for a week

It is the DVLA along with NCP who clamp cars and remove them nothing to do with the police. And police officers have to eat to or are they only allowed to bring packed lunches now?

:rolleyes: