Drag Hunts - Boxing Day

Does anyone know if there are any drag hunts going on on Boxing day around Sheffield/Derbyshire?? :help:

what is a drag hunt?

A runner is used to lay a scent about 20 minutes in advance of the hunt. The runner simply dips a cloth in the scent mixture and trails it along the ground behind him. The scent, repulsive to humans, is irresistible to hounds.

Its instead of chasing foxes

thanks Fox, maybe a bit far that one, i have heard there may be on at chatsworth, so i'll check that as well :P

Wow. I had no idea members of the public could join in with any kind of hunt, I thought you had to be invited by the master of hounds etc.

"A warm welcome is extended to all" - they'd withdraw that welcome if they saw my riding skills...

Presumably you have to have your own horsie to do this, its not possible to hire from anywhere?

(forgive my ignorance - drag hunting is something I've vaguely considered years ago, but I doubt I'll ever take the risk of actually owning a horse.)

Wow. I had no idea members of the public could join in with any kind of hunt, I thought you had to be invited by the master of hounds etc.

"A warm welcome is extended to all" - they'd withdraw that welcome if they saw my riding skills...

Presumably you have to have your own horsie to do this, its not possible to hire from anywhere?

Yes you need your own horse :P Plus you have to pay for the privilege.

Cap: Adults £45, under-18s £35, 2nd child with an adult family member £20 (all prices include VAT). Every meet includes a stirrup cup, port stop and tea afterwards (courtesy of a members’ rota)."

Attire:

A dark covered hat should be worn with a black coat; ladies may wear a navy blue coat, a white or cream shirt with a correctly tied white or cream stock and a pin to hold it in place. Dark gloves, buff or beige jodhpurs with black boots or half chaps. A crop or whip should be carried and now hip flasks are allowed to be carried.

Horses should be now fully plaited or hogged.

Children may wear tweeds and a shirt & tie at the Opening Meet and thereafter. If they wear a black coat, a white or cream stock should be worn."

The cost is surprisingly reasonable. The port stop sounds more fun than the riding though.

I'd never thought to investigate the posssibility of this, so thanks for the tip off, I think I might add this to one of my long term plans. I'll see if I can find some mugs to invest a part share and part responsbility in a quieter hunter one day. Maybe even try point to pointing if I'm not too old by then.

Enjoy boxing day!

what is a drag hunt?

They chase Lilly Savage instead of a fox.

I runined a pair of Manolos last year, not going again.

Does anyone know if there are any drag hunts going on on Boxing day around Sheffield/Derbyshire?? :help:

Yes - Lilly Savage will be chased from Dore to Fox House

and a bloody good thing too.

Damn.