Police Lorry Outside Train Station This Morning?

Does the ticket not say something on the back like "valid only on route specified" - I thought they usually did? If so, I guess it's only valid via Stockport - the issuer probably just assumed you wanted the quickest/cheapest option. Whether or not you'll get challenged for it I don't know.

Perhaps it says via Stockport as that is the earliest place you can change for Bolton coming from Sheffield? If you're planning on splitting your journey - ie going Sheffield to Machester, stopping off and then a few hours later going Manchester to Bolton then I would check with the National Rail to assess if it is, or isn't valid.

To save me starting a new thread I'll ask in here.

Got my train tickets to Bolton yesterday (Horwich Parkway actually but same place....), anyway, it says on them "Route - Stockport".

Does this mean we've got to go via Stockport? I hope not cause the whole idea was we're going to make a day of it in Manchester. I'm sure I've bought tickets to Wigan etc before though and its said Stockport on them but we've still gone via Manchester without any problems........

The woman who served me never said anything about having to go via Stockport, or asked me whether I wanted to go via Stockport or Manchester.

The routing "STOCKPORT" actually means that you must pass through Stockport on your journey but you don't have to get off or change trains there. As all fast Sheffield to Manchester trains pass through Stockport this shouldn;'t be a problem. Just make sure you avoid the stopping trains that leave from platform 2c at Sheffield; not only do they not go via Stockport but they also take twice as long!

It's one of the strange quirks of the railway that this isn't made clear, but basically a Sheffield to Manchester (or other local stations in the Manchester areas) ticket will be routed either "STOCKPORT" or "HUDDERSFIELD" (I think). In each case the routing only means your train must pass through that location.

According to this the £14.40 ticket (the one I've got) is valid on any route so why should it say Stockport on the ticket?

I won't even be able to swap them now will I?

The routing "STOCKPORT" actually means that you must pass through Stockport on your journey but you don't have to get off or change trains there. As all fast Sheffield to Manchester trains pass through Stockport this shouldn;'t be a problem. Just make sure you avoid the stopping trains that leave from platform 2c at Sheffield; not only do they not go via Stockport but they also take twice as long!

It's one of the strange quirks of the railway that this isn't made clear, but basically a Sheffield to Manchester (or other local stations in the Manchester areas) ticket will be routed either "STOCKPORT" or "HUDDERSFIELD" (I think). In each case the routing only means your train must pass through that location.

Thanks for that. I thought that was the case but didn't want to end up paying a penalty fare for getting off at Manchester Piccadilly!

And yes, we'll be getting the quick train, it only takes about 50 minutes.

As all fast Sheffield to Manchester trains pass through Stockport QUOTE]

Not if it's a weekend and there's engineering works on.....you'll go through Marple :hihi:

Not if it's a weekend and there's engineering works on.....you'll go through Marple :hihi:

Thankfully there is no engineering works this weekend.

There was when we went to Liverpool though, we were going to get the train and spend the day there but couldn't so ended up having to take the car.

As all fast Sheffield to Manchester trains pass through Stockport QUOTE]

But then it wouldn't be a fast train - in my experience it would be a painfully slow one, at least after coming out of Cowburn Tunnel ;)

But then it wouldn't be a fast train - in my experience it would be a painfully slow one, at least after coming out of Cowburn Tunnel ;)

If trying to be serious and helpful means you get loads of pedants arguing linguistics over your posts, I'm going back to being silly and flippant.....:P

Well, I for one wasn't arguing linguistics over your post, Basil - I was agreeing with you (as all the timetabled fast trains go through Stockport, as you rightly stated in your post). But I must confess that I find your "silly and flippant" posts much more entertaining.;)

If trying to be serious and helpful means you get loads of pedants arguing linguistics over your posts, I'm going back to being silly and flippant.....:P

As we're talking pedantics, once the train leaves Cowburn, it's actually the same speed whether you're going via Romily or Stockport. It slows down at New Mills.

Oh, and it's actually usually slightly quicker to get to Manchester via Romily on a TPE train than via Stockport.

Pedantics over :hihi:

you cant get past police at station yet it takes 45 mins to reply to a call at general cemetery where there have been numerous serious incedents in the past

Pedantics over :hihi:

Not so fast (no pun intended.;)). I wrote "in my experience". The only time I've been on one of these diverted trains it slowed down when leaving Cowburn Tunnel and then went at a snail's pace for miles and miles and miles...:hihi: