Morrissey leaves England over immigration

It always has me scratching my head a bit when people complain about immigration into London. Partly because it was founded by the Romans, then revived by the Normans, fought over between them and the Danes, and has been built on immigration ever since. I've seen people on here bemoaning the fact that immigrants have pushed out "proper Cockneys", when your "proper Cockneys" were Jews, Irish, Greeks, Italians and gawd knows what else. My mum's family are from the Isle of Dogs and Poplar, and were "proper Cockneys". We're Italian-Irish :huh:

Anyway so Morrisey said we're different from France Germany Sweden and Italy in that in those countries you know where you because they've retained their identity. IN our country in contrast you could be anywhere.

Is that what the anti-BNP brigade on here really want? we like not having an identity in the way other countries have one?

Why do 52% of the British population dream of emigrating?

The D-Day War veteran Walter chamberlain got very badly beaten while walking home from a rugby match through a park by a group of asians. This came in the wake of Chief Superintendent Hewitt's admission in the Oldham Chronicle, that racial attacks in Oldham were among the highest in the country. He revealed that 75 per cent of these were being committed by Asians on white people. Whilst Labour and the press strenuously denied no go areas for whites in Oldham,The police officer investigating Walter chamberlain's attack told the press that one of Chamberlain's assailants told him he was "not allowed in this part of town” because he was white.

Do you begrudge the BNP the right to stand two candidates in this town

The BNP lost no time in making use of the criminal attack on Walter Chamberlain despite his own views and his families views that it was not a racist attack. Those dirty tricks worked in Oldham, for a while although Maureen Stowe soon realised what sort of party she was representing and resigned from the BNP after being elected because of the lies they told on election election leaflets. Their credibility wasn't helped when it turned out one of their leafletters during the election was a convicted rapist, either.(Ref)

The tactics of exploiting a criminal act for the BNPs own ends worked well short term in Oldham were also used in Keighley, fortunately the mother of the victim was so disgusted at the exploitation of her daughters rape by the BNP she stood against them and won the seat back.

It always has me scratching my head a bit when people complain about immigration into London. Partly because it was founded by the Romans, then revived by the Normans, fought over between them and the Danes, and has been built on immigration ever since. I've seen people on here bemoaning the fact that immigrants have pushed out "proper Cockneys", when your "proper Cockneys" were Jews, Irish, Greeks, Italians and gawd knows what else. My mum's family are from the Isle of Dogs and Poplar, and were "proper Cockneys". We're Italian-Irish :huh:

It's a case of longterm of absorption. I don't know really- do people think the Asians of Netheredge today are to all intents and purposes just like a darker version of the sheffielders of Netheredge in the fifties? Or are they something quite different?

Plus, London has always had it's own identity separate to the rest of the country. It used to be a walled city, had it's own army, and the King had to request entry. At times in history, it's been a virtual City-state, and because it's built on trade, it's always been cosmpolitan. Londoners have their own identity, which Morrissey wouldn't really be party to, being a Manc. It's a mish-mash, but it's still identifiably London. Anyway, he's claiming defamation, so he may not have even said the things he's alleged to have said.

The BNP lost no time in making use of the criminal attack on Walter Chamberlain despite his own views and his families views that it was not a racist attack. Those dirty tricks worked in Oldham, for a while although Maureen Stowe soon realised what sort of party she was representing and resigned from the BNP after being elected because of the lies they told on election election leaflets. Their credibility wasn't helped when it turned out one of their leafletters during the election was a convicted rapist, either.(Ref)

The tactics of exploiting a criminal act for the BNPs own ends worked well short term in Oldham were also used in Keighley, fortunately the mother of the victim was so disgusted at the exploitation of her daughters rape by the BNP she stood against them and won the seat back.

We've discussed this many times. You know perfectly well families and relatives of white racial attack victims are leaned on to put out press releases denying a racial motive.One assailant told the police himself that the victim wasn't allowed in this part of town” because he was white.

How can that possibly not be a racial attack?

Plus, London has always had it's own identity separate to the rest of the country. It used to be a walled city, had it's own army, and the King had to request entry. At times in history, it's been a virtual City-state, and because it's built on trade, it's always been cosmpolitan. Londoners have their own identity, which Morrissey wouldn't really be party to, being a Manc. It's a mish-mash, but it's still identifiably London. Anyway, he's claiming defamation, so he may not have even said the things he's alleged to have said.

Is it idenitfiably London purely because of it 's complete sense of human dislocation? People may like london for the sights, I don't think you'll get anyone going back there because of the people. bemused foreign visiters ask where the real londoners are, assuming there should be some native british basis to the british capital city. It would have been interesting to have experienced London when it was predomantly as English as say sheffield. Now it's all a complete mish mash of turks and pakistanis and goodness knows what with no sense of shared heritage of place, or values or even reliable language skills. loads of immigrants from all over the world by no means under one umbrella- providing very little feel of being part of any society

Mod note

Please don't let this stray from the Morrissey topic stated in to the title to a general one about racism.

Well true yes let's forget race as such then and talk about mish mash. to what extent do we want to live in a mish mash. What does it mean to live in a mish mash. Aren't we proud of the England that the smiths used to reference - the kitchen sink dramas, northern icons, the back to backs in Rosserman street, the carry on films etc. Do we want this that we've got today instead?

Well true yes let's forget race as such then and talk about mish mash. to what extent do we want to live in a mish mash. What does it mean to live in a mish mash. Aren't we proud of the England that the smiths used to reference - the kitchen sink dramas, northern icons, the back to backs in Rosserman street, the carry on films etc. Do we want this that we've got today instead?

You do understand that it is very un-English to go on about Englishness all the time.

Mod note

No - go back to the title of the thread you started and keep to that.

Doesn't Morrissey spend most of his time in LA (rather large Hispanic population unless I'm mistaken) and Italy anyway? I've probably spent more time in London in the last five years than he has - feels similar to New York as a major international city - but still very British - just as NY feels American. OK Mozza - it ain't Salford.