Morrissey leaves England over immigration

Mod note

No - go back to the title of the thread you started and keep to that.

I am doing!!!!!

but i'm explaining that the possible background is that the smiths were about celebrating this british iconography in their songs. In terms of immigration Morrisey didn't like urban black music, presumably because black rap music is a long way from George Formby and charles hawtrey. Morrisey also had a sardonic british irony which presumably you don't get in immgrant groups but which has obviously influenced people like jarvis cocker and the artic monkeys

but i'm explaining that the possible background is that the smiths were about celebrating this british iconography in their songs.

Much of it gay iconography.

Much of it gay iconography.
well a lot of british iconography that counts as our identity is gay, especially the theatre. that's another thing that counts out these macho alpha male type male immigrants, particularly black men, muslims and eastern Europeans

well a lot of british iconography that counts as our identity is gay, especially the theatre. that's another thing that counts out these macho alpha male type male immigrants, particularly black men, muslims and eastern Europeans

Most blokes down my local who bang on about immigration would identify with the "alpha male" rather than "a lot of british iconography that counts as our identity is gay". ;)

Most blokes down my local who bang on about immigration would identify with the "alpha male" rather than "a lot of british iconography that counts as our identity is gay". ;)

Morrisey woudln't go into pubs i shouldn't imagine. At least not rough locals.

Besides yes but in the weird way of things in British culture, working class men would have been the very types to lap up genres like the carry on films and are you being served and some mothers do av em etc etc all those sort of peculiarly british comedies which relied heavily on ouvert or unspoken camp characters.

Someone even said even our football referees are camp. Which is actually quite true when you observe their gestures

People who complain that Londoners have nothing in common presumably have never lived there. Some aspects of an identifiable (altough of course by no means universal) modern London culture are: an openness to new experiences; a love of culture; a certain arrogance and perception that London is better than everywhere else; a pride in being tolerant; self-sufficiency. But London's population is so massive that it's totally unrealistic to expect homogenity - people need to find a "tribe" to belong to, in order to avoid a feeling of being subsumed, and these aren't always along race or heritage lines. There's Eastenders, North & South Londoners, clubbers, football team-based tribes, gay and lesbian cultures, New Agers, almost anything you can think of.

It's a myth that London was ever unified - previously it was two cities, the City of London and the City of Westminster. As it has expanded, it's taken in numerous villages and even towns, all with their own identities, and incorporated them. In a way its a confederacy. So people who haven't lived there who complain that it's disparate are completely missing the point.

Why do 52% of the British population dream of emigrating?

High taxes

Rising crime

The weather

The economy

House prices

The work-till-you-drop lifestyle (if you're poor)

The shop-till-you-drop lifestyle (if you're wealthy)

Political parties that don't listen

A media that promotes its own agenda

The obsession with celebrity culture

The rise of the emerging 'chav' underclass

That's 11 reasons.

Any publicity is good publicity and after a 6 days London residency sell out at the Roundhouse, tickets for Doncaster Dome, Sunderland and Edinburgh are on sale today.

High taxes

Rising crime

The weather

The economy

House prices

The work-till-you-drop lifestyle (if you're poor)

The shop-till-you-drop lifestyle (if you're wealthy)

Political parties that don't listen

A media that promotes its own agenda

The obsession with celebrity culture

The rise of the emerging 'chav' underclass

That's 11 reasons.

These things are all true. But according to the French estate agents there's only one reason that keeps coming up- one in your political correctness you haven't mentioned.

As to London I hate the place. It's a sprawling monstrosity- a sort of multi-racial no man's land. And the horribleness starts right at Victoria where the churlish Italian cafe owner informs you can't just sit in the cafe and have a cup of tea you've got to buy a meal- time and money you're taking up a table. I really envy countries like Ireland that have friendly human scale capital cities to be proud of like Dublin or even expensive but picturesque cities like Paris or Rome. Give me Sheffield any day.