40th Birthday Walk & Celebration Sat 19th Jan

Just wondering if we know what time we are all meeting at for this walk?

Hi rainbow Sky, nice to hear from you :)

We've been discussing the "do" today, and quite frankly are in a bit of a quandry about what to do about the arrangemets.

On the one hand there are people who think we ought to have a walk that day come what may, but equally there are others who think that the most important thing is to celebrate Nookas birthday, and want to just turn up for the buffet, and forget about walking that day,especially if the weather is awful. After all, who wants to do a walk in say pouring rain, and then sit in a pub in wet clothes and dirty boots?

At the moment I would say that the answer is that we might not do a walk if the weather is bad, and we'll leave it that way until nearer the day, when we'll see what the weather is like, discuss it with Nooka, and then make a decision about whether we do a walk or not.

Hope this is ok for everyone, but as always would ask that people voice their opinions one way or the other.

Cheers

Scoobz

I say we wait and see what its like nearer the time. If its a day like today then Im definately wanting to do a walk. I want to start my fourties as I mean to go on with plenty of fresh air, exercise and friends to share it with! :D

The meeting place for the walk would be the entrance to Endcliffe Park which is really easy to get to and we wouldnt have to be sharing cars etc so it could be organised as late as the day before if need be!

That sounds a good plan to me Nooka, fresh air, friends and....... beer, what more could a person want? Oh, friends to share it with of course :)

Just spoke to the pub, and the increased numbers are no problem. However, the manager is a bit concerned about the fact it's derby day in Sheffield, and the fact that the police might make him close early if there's the usual trouble on Ecclesall Road later in the afternoon. With this in mind, I've agreed with him that we'll meet there at 1 p.m. instead of 2, so if we do do a walk the meeting time will more likely be 10.00 at Endcliffe park entrance, to allow us to get back in plenty of time to watch Wednesday beat the Blades on the Sky TV at the Porter Brook.

Oh no! Why do football fans have to spoil things for everyone else! :mad: Hardly gonna be worth doing it! :roll:

Oh no! Why do football fans have to spoil things for everyone else! :mad: Hardly gonna be worth doing it! :roll:

Yes it will be worth doing it, and you are worth doing it for! All we have to do is turn up an hour earlier than we were intending to, and the pub manager has promised me that if the police advise him to close the pub, he will do so with us inside! How about that for preferential birthday treatment?

I say we wait and see what its like nearer the time. If its a day like today then Im definately wanting to do a walk. I want to start my fourties as I mean to go on with plenty of fresh air, exercise and friends to share it with! :D

The meeting place for the walk would be the entrance to Endcliffe Park which is really easy to get to and we wouldnt have to be sharing cars etc so it could be organised as late as the day before if need be!

This sounds like a good idea to wait and see what weathers like. I will keep an eye on this thread as well, thanks.

Ugh, don't EVEN get me started on football fans! The parking problems they cause around my house makes my blood boil! On another note am really looking forward to this! Not sure if I'll be driving or not but once plans are sorted will let you know so I can give a lift to anyone who needs it.

******A Change to the Arrangements*****

I have amended #1 to advise everybody that the buffet and party are now going to be held at the Fulwood Inn at 1pm, and not at the Porter Brook. This is because South Yorkshire Police have advised the Porter Brook to close Sat 19th, because of expected trouble from the Sheffield football derby. To be fair, I'm not disappointed that they have done this and neither is Nooka, because there were a number of things we weren't happy with at the Porter Brook to start with, so the cancellation, albeit at such a late stage has probably done Nooka a favour. Having just been to have a look at the Fulwood Inn I've also got to say that it looks a much more suitable place to hold a party too, and they couldn't be more obliging with our requirements if they tried. They also appear to be far more professional with their handling of the booking too.

Regarding the walk, Nooka and I think the best place to meet for this would in fact be outside the Fulwood Inn at 10.30. The no 40 bus stops outside there and leaves town every 10 minutes. Car users can leave their cars in the pub car park for the duration of the walk if they want to, and leave a change of clothing in their car if they so desire (guess who's told me that this is a good idea ;) )

From the Fulwood Inn, we can get to Whiteley Woods, and the Porter Valley in minutes, so the intention is that we do a circular walk down to Endcliffe Park, and back up the Porter Valley, probably calling at either Forge Dam or Endcliffe Park cafe for a cuppa along the way. I think this walk will be no more than 5 miles, and will be done at little more than a steady pace, so we can conserve our energies for the frivolities later!

See you all at 10.30 outside the Fulwood Inn. Nooka, I can come and pick you up if you want and you can leave stuff in my car. Anyone else want a lift from town about 10? Pm me if so.

Anyone arriving at the pub on the bus can leave any change of clothing, and mucky boots and clothes when we get back from the walk if they want.

Callum and I will just be meeting everyone at pub for 1pm. Decided not to go on walk ( if there is one), look forward to seeing you all there.:)

I have just confirmed final numbers with the Fulwood Inn at 22 from the Walking Group, including Jess22 and Steph as late confirmations, and 13 of Nookas family and friends, making 35 in total. I have given the Fulwood an approximate time of one o clock for the buffet but it won't matter if we're a bit later than that after the walk, they're pretty easy going about things there.

Regarding the walk, we can decide what the route will be on Saturday, but I think a 4-5 mile `lap` of the Porter Valley, including a stop at the Forge Dam cafe will be ideal for the day. Fingers crossed that the weather forecast is right for once, and we only have "light showers" on the day!