Dentists - Do You Go? How Much Do You Pay?

Have you been to the dentist in the last 18 months?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been to the dentist in the last 18 months?

• Yes Private
    • Yes NHS
    • No I haven't been recently

Little story about dentists.

We moved to Sheffield from Penistone last year but kept our NHS dentist in Penistone because of the hassle involved in changing. Two weeks ago we had a letter from him saying that "exciting new developments" were taking place. It went on to say that he was going private and you could like it or lump it. My wife went for an assesment only to find a revamped waiting room (wooden flooring, leather couches, LCD TV etc) and the dentists new X5 (with private plates) parked outside. My wife had a check and was told that it would only cost her £120 per year for Denplan cover. Previous costs were £30 for 2 check ups per year.

We decided that if we had to go private we might as well change to a local dentist anyway and after a recommendation phoned a dentist in Broomhill and found that they were still taking NHS patients. Happy ending to the story.

It's upset the folks in Penistone though and made the front page of the Barnsley Chron last week.

at least we're ok in sheffield with open nhs lists, rather than being somewhere with scarborough with none...

I go to porterbrook and had to have my first filling 2 months ago. After 5 appointments when Id been told the wrong time by the receptionist (and yes i was checking very carefully cos I thought i was going mad by the the 3rd wrong appointment!) I had my filling.

It cost £50 and 2 weeks later i had to have it removed cos theyd messed it up AND injected the wrong side of my mouth so i was a dribbling fool for a night.

Had it taken out and they injected into the nerve and it hurt loads, then they put a temporary one in.

Got another appointment to have it done again next week and now I'm really scared...