Dentists - Do You Go? How Much Do You Pay?

Have you been to the dentist in the last 18 months?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been to the dentist in the last 18 months?

• Yes Private
    • Yes NHS
    • No I haven't been recently

I to am terrified of the dentist...Always think they could have been doctors but like using the funky dental drills a bit too much.

After a gap of nearly eight years I signed up to Forge Farm on Stannington Road...really nice people and a painless root canal didn't cost that much.

...not too sure how much a painful one would cost though.

Originally posted by max

I have an NHS dentist and pay £17 about twice a year for a check up, scale and polish.

Same here. Had quite a lot of work done over the past couple of months (fillings,root removed ect) came to about £80,which i thought was pretty good value.

i have a very good nhs dentist (elizibeth heaney) at stubley lane in dronfield

Originally posted by Rich

I go to Forge Farm Dentists on Stannington Road every 6 months, but I don't pay due to being on disabled benefits... And no I am not workshy before anyone starts, I just can't get a job because employers won't employ me cos I'm disabled.

I go there, i dont like it much dentist scare me and mine was rude, all becasue i wouldn't have a scale and polish.

I don’t go to dentist’s full stop.

The only way you would ever get me in a dentist is if you knocked me out and carried me in there. I don’t care what people say but I am never stepping inside a dentist again. And that is how strongly I feel.

This time last year I got a dentist (my usual nice one was away) and she was like the evil dentist you have dreams about. She drilled right into my gum saying it was necessary and she had to get the bad out making me scream and cry even though id had anaesetic (sp)

its terrified me for life (I wasn’t too clever with dentists before that incident)

I now live with a crater in my mouth in one of my chewing teeth at the back that can fit a peanut in (gross I no) I look after the rest of my teeth religiously so that I don’t ever have any more problems because there is no way the dentist is going near me.

My mum keeps booking me appointments and I keep cancelling them. I don’t mind paying my mum the cancellation fee cos if it gets me out of the dentist I’m willing to do anything.

But before I was scared I went to Ffolliot and bird (I think?) on south road walkley and I believe that is a private dentist as my mum pays but I’m in full time education at college still.

I went for the first time in 14 years back in Feb. Now my gob is a mess!!

I have a stupid Gold half crown thing when i only wanted a tooth smoothing off that had been chipped when opening a bottle.

I also now have a couple of sensitive teeth that were fine before i went!.

Needless to say i will not be going back to the dentist's on Norfolk Park :rant:

Guest rosie

I go to Charles Cliffords and let the students practise.

After having dentists that caused pain and misery I would not go anywhere else. With being given the opportunity to have the students do my teeth I am so glad cause they are brill.

I go to the dentists at porterbrook even though i now live in hackenthorpe. I can't get into one round here. Porterbrook is ok except all the dentists look newly qualified. But they are NHS and it never costs me much more than £15.

A note on crystal peaks medical centre it is nearer to my house than hackenthorpe surgey but they wouldn't let me register because i live the wrong side of the line. i had always though you could chose your GP?

Originally posted by IanMitchell

I go to Forge Farm dentists on Stannington Road also.

Perhaps you might be able to help on this query in that case

A little birdy told me that they currently don't allow you to make appointments months in advance (like in the past), they instead advise you to ring up a month before you are due to go. I find this a strange change in policy and wondered what had brought it about?

I've been going to the one in Greenhill all my life. It's been good for me but I've never had any work done in my life..so maybe thats why I don't mind it.

I use Forge Farm and although I am quite nervous of the dentist I think they are great. No messing around/ waiting, no- nonsense in and out as quickly as possible.

The new appointment system is that they will write to you about a month before your check up is due to ask you to make an appointment. Basically giving everyone an appointment in 6 months time was leading people to forget and not turn up, so this way attendance is improved.

It costs about £5 for a check up and £20-£30 for a filling I think.