Diesel prices going crazy

A mate of mine (Green Party candidate the last couple of years) was telling me that now it's actually legal to mix veg oil with your diesel, but there are no guidelines/laws as to how much is permissible

My landrover has been running on it 50/50 for years :hihi:

glad we are moving to Bulgaria 08 diesel price is 60p Lt. just shows you how much tax we pay in the country

Yes there is. From 1st July 2007, the first 2,500 litres of veg oil that you rproduce is free from duty. Anything after this requires duty to be paid. You are suppsed to keep records for all duty-free fuel you use as evidence to HMRC in case they ask for them..

As for ratios - you need to be careful as veg oil is thicker than diesel (so think of your fuel pump) - plus it may confuse any onboard fuel management systems...

EDIT: Can't find the link as the HMRC site is down for maintainace

Thanks for the confirmation/info.

If anyone is thinking of using used chip shop oil and filtering it before mixing with diesel, be very careful - I thought I'd researched the subject well, bought a 50 micron bag filter bag -and came unstuck (or rather broken down on Millhouses Lane) :roll:

I'd only used four X 20 lites filtered veg mixed 50:50 diesel - put it this way, after doing my sums on the savings I was quids down after the tow in and repairs.

Stick with new oil, and try to research it! I'm so put off now, I just do 'straight diesel' :D

BTW the use of this may invalidate any warranty on your vehicle.

My landrover has been running on it 50/50 for years :hihi:

Can I ask - pure unused oil? Not recycled stuff from the chippy?

(see my post above) :)

Using red diesel in a vehicle on the road (apart from a tractor moving between fields via the road) is illegal and is likely to result in your vehicle being seized as a penalty and criminal charges being brought against you.

Veggie oil is an option - and increasingly tempting - but a word of caution before anyone bangs it in the tank. Even fresh stuff can destroy some engines. More modern CDi engines are more fussy than older one.

Do the research carefully and also Google 'ring gumming' as this is a hidden and progressive problem than can lead to total and sudden engine failure.

However, there's lot of success stories too so if you give it a whirl, good luck!

There is far more to just sticking veggie oil into your car. First of all you can't normally just run on 100% veggie oil - especially waste oil. Secondly if your engine is post 1997 or 'common rail' or an injection, I'd say forget it. And if your car has a Lucas fuel pump, also forget it. There are also issues with heating the oil that need to be addressed.

You need a pre 1997 (maybe even older) car with a Bosch pump, use about 30% oil to 70% diesel in winter, possibly a 50% mix during summer.

Some people fit a second tank - one running normal diesel for starting and warming up the engine, before switching to the veggie oil tank.

Diesel and petrol have gone up as OPEC have throttled back oil pumping as a big F U at Bush and Blair. BP, Shell, Texaco and the rest are minnows compared to OPEC in terms of oil production, which means the wholesale cost of oil is out of "big" oil's control, and the retail price is minimised due to forecourt competition.

Blame Hugo Chavez and the tax man for the high cost of fuel.

Get an LPG vehicle. I just pay 44p a litre on my fuel.

I avoid the BP garage on Leppings Lane who bumped up LPG prices to 58p a litre for no apparent reason.

Can I ask - pure unused oil? Not recycled stuff from the chippy?

(see my post above) :)

Mith my landrover being ex MOD it has the uprated bosch fuel pump and because its tax exempt too im quids in, I can use pure unused oil at 50/50 also as winter sets in i put 1/2 liter of unledded in a full tank which stops it from getting too cold and maybe freezeing. And the old girl loves it she just smells like a chip van thats all :hihi:, at the moment shes waiting for a new gear box from a series 3 so she wont be ready this winter :(