Sign in to follow this  

F drive gone after norton cloning

I have just made a clone to my spare drive (f drive) and it has now become inaccessible. I have tried everything I know to find the drive but its gone from my computer and when you click on its shortcut all you get is a box saying it is unavailable and to make sure its properly connected or that its network resource is available. Anyone got any ideas.

tch norton :P

now if that had important unbacked up data on youd have been up the swanny

tch norton :P

now if that had important unbacked up data on youd have been up the swanny

Are there any better freeware alternatives for entire and easy drive cloning or am I going to have to pay up.

Are there any better freeware alternatives for entire and easy drive cloning or am I going to have to pay up.

The finest is Acronis True Image

The older version from version 8, 9 and 10 can be found cheapish on-line.

My main drive is a SATA drive and it is partitioned into three drives, they are labelled Backup, Data and HDD. I cloned to an ATA drive if that would make a difference, I aint an expert.

When given the option to clone it gave me the three separate partitions in the list and thought you would simply copy all three one after the other. So I started with the sector partition called Backup and included the MBR in its options, it was all guess work :|

With Acronis you make a secure drive and then you can backup to there.

Tutorials here

For drive cloning or partition/drive imaging, - if you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive there is a free, but cut-down, version of Acronis ATI10 available from Seagate's support site.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

Like Acronis it creates a bootable Linux based recovery CD and I've used it to create and restore images of of my system partition.

Don't use it now though as I found the full Acronis on offer for £15 :)

The main drive is a Seagate SATA drive and the slave drive is a Maxtor ATA drive. Its just a test to see if I can do it when I buy a bigger drive.

Don't use it now though as I found the full Acronis on offer for £15 :)

Excellent price. :) I even use Acronis instead of uninstalling via Add/Remove in control panel.....get a virus or spyware...just use Acronis and it even does bare metal restores too.