Firshill school

I was at Firs Hill Primary during those years. The photograph you referred to in last Saturday's Star showed, amongst many others, an image of a boy who always struck me as a brilliant footballer in the making. His name - he's on the front row - was Michael Parkin, and after leaving Firs Hill, Michael and I both went to Firth Park Grammar School. If anyone cares to look at the hoardings on the Moor directly opposite Poundland, they will see there a Firth Park Grammar School class photo which once again includes Michael Parkin. It was our first year at senior school, and we were both in the same form. I write about school life in my new memoir, Headlong into Pennilessness, which has just been serialised in The Star. Two questions: what happened to Michael Parkin? And if any of the reader of this post were my classmates, do get in touch.

Michael Glover

I was there from I think, Sept 1953 for a year or two before moving to Hackenthorpe. Lived in those days at 24(?) Goddard Hall Road. My sister Susan was there before that. Is there a link on the internet for this picture? Would love to see it. Thanks!

Ask philuk for photo. He supplied it.

Iv heard keys jinggleing in both buildings its as though somebody wants you out of the building at a certian time or someones telling you there behind you are some were close did the caretaker with the dog have some keys and a cough:hihi:

did u live on passhouses rd wendy

thanks for replying dean... ive been in the dinner hall and felt someone push past me i turned to say sorry thinking it was a child..but no-one there.. i know the school was used as an orphanage (hence the road name) a long time ago and then it was used for injured soldiers... the top school (infants) seems to be worse for goings on...

The orphanage was at the top of orphanage rd on the left where the flats are now ,the school wasn't used has an orphanage.i went to firshill inf & jnrs .lived on roe lane till I was @20 yrs old .not sure about the school being haunted tho

I went to Firs Hill in the late 70's also.

I hope it's got better since me & Mal left !!!!!

The teacher I remember was a old grey haired lady ,she had 1 leg longer than the other but can't recall her name !

I went to Firs Hill in the late fifties and early sixties - I never heard tell of a ghost there, unless it was Mr. Cox the Head lol

The teacher I remember was a old grey haired lady ,she had 1 leg longer than the other but can't recall her name !

mrs vere:) headteacher then mr woodcock

Firshill Headmistress Miss Mekin ? 1942 ==1947 then went to Scocrofts Academy 47-51 Burngreave Jasper Holdsworth, John Holden , Mr Ferneough.

mrs vere:) headteacher then mr woodcock

That rings a bell ,also musi c teacher was mrs Middleton ,lived down Crabtree rd area .there was mr rodgers aswell

Yes, I was there from 1952 until 1958. I was in the B stream all the time, I was in the classes of Miss Brookes, Mrs Chinnaworth(?), Mr Robinson. I remember some class members: Philip Scott, Barbra Orvice.... I will remember others in due course I am sure. I will be delighted to hear from anyone who wishes to get in touch.