Kickboxing Instructors

There are many Kickboxing clubs in and around Sheffield claiming this that and the other. We all do it to attract our new students etc.

One I know of is advertising and I know that the instructors are not classed as qualified instructors.

Now, I have been qualified through my national association and taken several courses etc. My experience through out the years, tournaments attended and high ranking masters that I network with has put me in good stead.

What are your qualification needed etc to be able to call yourself an 'INSTRUCTOR/COACH'?

I am not saying that everyone on here are not qualified by any means, I just was wondering what your club/association requires of you etc.

isn't this what this thread is about???

LOL thank you Uncle Junior. Yes you are right although Master J clearly has his credentials in "korean martial arts" he has not mentioned much to do with actual kickboxing.

Korean martial arts and kickboxing are two totally different things.

Karate is good for what it is, Taekwondo is good for what it is.

Kickboxing is kick-BOXING not just Karate/TKD minus the kata/forms/patterns. It needs to have its separate entity without confusing people like superstar1.

Kickboxing from my perspective is all about the ring sport.

Kickboxing is all centred around 2 guys wearing boxing gloves in the boxing ring punching and kicking each other to the head and body (sometimes the legs too).

Now there will be variations, e.g. Savate, Muay thai, Low kick kickboxing, K-1 kickboxing, Full contact , Light continuous ,...etc.

Again Chefkicker has totally missed the point of the thread. Firstly look to the origins of Kickboxing. I think you will find that it stems from United States of America. Formed from freestyle Karate without the use of boxing rings. It then was transfered to the 'rings' as exhibitions bouts inbetween boxing fights. At some point in its form of what ever kind, kickboxing is American Kickboxing. Here goes with big capital letters:

I PROFESSINALLY TEACH AND COACH KOREAN KICKBOXING.

It's a different MA to yours. No really it is! Unbelieveable but true!

2 minute round of Hand techniques, 2 mins round of feet techniques and 2 mins round of mixed hand and foot techniques. True skills of martial arts. That's what all martial artists are taught, in what ever way or form, hand and foot techniques!

(I absolutely hate what I am about to type. I do not like mentioning what I have won etc. Sometimes I have to do it, so here goes.) I have in my living room a samuria sword presented to me for 'winning' yes thats 'winning' the heavy weight 'Midland Open' WAKO 2006. Held in Dudley Nr Birmingham at the Brierely Sports Centre. Hosted by Del Sampson. (quickly look him up on the WAKO web site. I can wait........)That was the last tournament I entered. At 38 yrs old now, I have won a tournament that I was very proud of. I have nothing to prove to my self. I know who I am and what I can do. As for my students, they will be ready when I think they are, not when they think they are. They trust my judgement.

Is MA's all about ring fighting? Is kickboxing all about ring fighting? What would you do if one of your students didn't want to fight in the ring but just wanted to train and keep fit? Surely you would stop him from training because you only see it as a'ring' sport and they should be able to step into it?

(I can't believe I am now trying to prove to you that I deserve some kind of repect from you, am I that desperate? Have I sank that low. No I haven't. I know what and where I come from in MA terms)

Initially this was a fact finding thread, and again you have missed the point. It was not aimed at you personally, but you made it your mission to take it on without ever answering the question.You didn't have to answer the thread but you just couldn't help yourself could you?

So go and answer the question, I have had several pm's saying that you would not and could not answer it. Prove them wrong, not me, I have never questioned your 'qualifications or criteria', I accept other MA's.

LOL thank you Uncle Junior. Yes you are right although Master J clearly has his credentials in "korean martial arts" he has not mentioned much to do with actual kickboxing.

Korean martial arts and kickboxing are two totally different things.

Karate is good for what it is, Taekwondo is good for what it is.

Kickboxing is kick-BOXING not just Karate/TKD minus the kata/forms/patterns. It needs to have its separate entity without confusing people like superstar1.

Kickboxing from my perspective is all about the ring sport.

Kickboxing is all centred around 2 guys wearing boxing gloves in the boxing ring punching and kicking each other to the head and body (sometimes the legs too).

Now there will be variations, e.g. Savate, Muay thai, Low kick kickboxing, K-1 kickboxing, Full contact , Light continuous ,...etc.

Again Chefkicker has totally missed the point of the thread. Firstly look to the origins of Kickboxing. I think you will find that it stems from United States of America. Formed from freestyle Karate without the use of boxing rings. It then was transfered to the 'rings' as exhibitions bouts inbetween boxing fights. At some point in its form of what ever kind, kickboxing is American Kickboxing. Here goes with big capital letters:

I PROFESSINALLY TEACH AND COACH KOREAN KICKBOXING.

It's a different MA to yours. No really it is! Unbelieveable but true!

2 minute round of Hand techniques, 2 mins round of feet techniques and 2 mins round of mixed hand and foot techniques. True skills of martial arts. That's what all martial artists are taught, in what ever way or form, hand and foot techniques!

(I absolutely hate what I am about to type. I do not like mentioning what I have won etc. Sometimes I have to do it, so here goes.) I have in my living room a samuria sword presented to me for 'winning' yes thats 'winning' the heavy weight 'Midland Open' WAKO 2006. Held in Dudley Nr Birmingham at the Brierely Sports Centre. Hosted by Del Sampson. (quickly look him up on the WAKO web site. I can wait........)That was the last tournament I entered. At 38 yrs old now, I have won a tournament that I was very proud of. I have nothing to prove to my self. I know who I am and what I can do. As for my students, they will be ready when I think they are, not when they think they are. They trust my judgement.

Is MA's all about ring fighting? Is kickboxing all about ring fighting? What would you do if one of your students didn't want to fight in the ring but just wanted to train and keep fit? Surely you would stop him from training because you only see it as a'ring' sport and they should be able to step into it?

(I can't believe I am now trying to prove to you that I deserve some kind of repect from you, am I that desperate? Have I sank that low. No I haven't. I know what and where I come from in MA terms)

Initially this was a fact finding thread, and again you have missed the point. It was not aimed at you personally, but you made it your mission to take it on without ever answering the question.You didn't have to answer the thread but you just couldn't help yourself could you?

So go and answer the question, I have had several pm's saying that you would not and could not answer it. Prove them wrong, not me, I have never questioned your 'qualifications or criteria', I accept other MA's.

What a long post took me ages to read it :gag:

I personally hate blowing my own trumpet but for all it matters here goes.

Im a 3rd Dan in Kickboxing under the ISKA now that under PAul Henessey. Paul Henessey pretty much runs the sport in this country and has the SOLE rights for the K-1 franchise in the UK.

I have also won 3 title belts under Low kick kickboxing rules (not american kickboxing, sorry). My classes both at the sidney street gym and at my university AND my classes in schools are all insured under the Ring contact sports union which works hand in hand with the UK rep for ISKA. I am also a qualified instructor and grading examiner for this association.

I personally dont call anything kickboxing unless its one of the ring sport varieties. I dont care how much you shout ,scream or make threats.

My opinion stands.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion. :D

AN IDEA !

How about having a sticky tread in this section, where martial arts instructors could list their qualifications, CRB details, governing body and insurance details.

Not to list fight records or trophys won but a factual record of grades held, excetera.

It could be almost a Sheffield Martial Arts forum kite mark or seal of approval.;)

For one it would keep the GKR black and white belted "instructors" away.

I thought this was along the lines of your original idea Master J, which is why I posted my details. What do people think ?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion. :D

Like that Farhad - I might use it in one of my classes! :hihi:

AN IDEA !

And a good one at that.

Though perhaps rather than a thread a list in 1 post that is maintained?

Would need a volunteer to keep it uptodate as people submit/change their details.

AN IDEA !

How about having a sticky tread in this section, where martial arts instructors could list their qualifications, CRB details, governing body and insurance details.

Not to list fight records or trophys won but a factual record of grades held, excetera.

It could be almost a Sheffield Martial Arts forum kite mark or seal of approval.;)

I thought this was along the lines of your original idea Master J, which is why I posted my details. What do people think ?

I was going to suggest the same. That way, instead of searching through loads of topics full of arguments (and maybe put them off), people looking for new instructors etc can do it in one place. Perhaps allow one post per interested party to keep it simple,and let them edit it to there hearts content.

AN IDEA !

Whats this about GKR Black and White belts? :confused:

I for one am a GKR 17th DAN!!!

:hihi:

If people were happy, I would offer to look after the list or try and get the mods involved.

I would see it as a list,qualifications as mentioned, BRIEF summary of club. NO debate or comments. Policed by EVERY instructor on the list.

It would hopefully stop a lot of bickering and definately stop the countless " can anybody suggest a karate club threads ?"

If people were happy, I would offer to look after the list or try and get the mods involved.

I would see it as a list,qualifications as mentioned, BRIEF summary of club. NO debate or comments. Policed by EVERY instructor on the list.

It would hopefully stop a lot of bickering and definately stop the countless " can anybody suggest a karate club threads ?"

Sounds like a great idea matey!

P.S are you one of Paul power's crew? They are SDF arent they?

Go for it Junior, make a post and ask folks to pm you with their relevant expirience. You can then edit your original post to include details as you get them.

Go for it Junior, make a post and ask folks to pm you with their relevant expirience. You can then edit your original post to include details as you get them.

I agree , do you think that my 17th dan in GKR is worth mentioning?

:confused: