Kickboxing Instructors

There are many Kickboxing clubs in and around Sheffield claiming this that and the other. We all do it to attract our new students etc.

One I know of is advertising and I know that the instructors are not classed as qualified instructors.

Now, I have been qualified through my national association and taken several courses etc. My experience through out the years, tournaments attended and high ranking masters that I network with has put me in good stead.

What are your qualification needed etc to be able to call yourself an 'INSTRUCTOR/COACH'?

I am not saying that everyone on here are not qualified by any means, I just was wondering what your club/association requires of you etc.

I spent a few months looking for a class to train eventually found one i did train at a few and was keen to know the instructors qualifications but found it a little intimidating when trying to ask, Karate, Kungfu, tae kwon do, Ju Jitsu, BJJ, judo instructors are easily checked out as they have completed a syllabus for their discipline (i.e. they need the knowledge in kata, poms, ect) to become black belts, but what about an instructor in Kickboxing do they have grades and belts from an instructor or association ?? or are we back to the weeked warrior qualification.

Nice one Master J

Hi, I am an instructor/ assessor for the Self Defence Federation. In terms of qualifications to teach or call myself an instructor I hold all seven of the SDF training diplomas and have been personally taught and assesed by Dave Turton 8th dan and SDF head.

I am Insured and CRB checked. I also hold a 1st dan in Wado Ryu karate, Intermediate Level 2 in Muay Thai and minor qualifications in Wing Chun,Judo and Kickboxing.

I currently train under Paul Timmins and Mick Mullaney at the Wicker Camp, Mark Hayes at Sheffield Martial Arts Center and have regular training sessions with Dave Turton.

All my certificates and licences are available for inspection at any time.

There are many Kickboxing clubs in and around Sheffield claiming this that and the other. We all do it to attract our new students etc.

One I know of is advertising and I know that the instructors are not classed as qualified instructors.

Now, I have been qualified through my national association and taken several courses etc. My experience through out the years, tournaments attended and high ranking masters that I network with has put me in good stead.

What are your qualification needed etc to be able to call yourself an 'INSTRUCTOR/COACH'?

I am not saying that everyone on here are not qualified by any means, I just was wondering what your club/association requires of you etc.

Which kickboxing club is advertising "master J" it would be interesting to know.

Also to my knowledge a lot of the people who advertise under the "kickboxing" banner are really from Karate/Kung Fu or Taekwondo.

Now no problem if you have left the original style behind or even teach it as a separate entity as well as teaching Proper kickboxing.

But when a club use the name "kickboxing" then they really should be involved with kickboxing as a sport as well as the self defense and fitness aspects. Master J , which kickboxing circuit are you or rather have you and your students been involved with?

I have never seen or heard of any of your students ever competing in kickboxing , you mention "tournaments". But im talking about proper kickboxing shows , even "small hall " shows at an amateur level.

Kickboxing is more about the sport than about any of these "high ranked masters". Are any of these high ranked masters Don "The Dragon " Wilson or Jean Claude Van Damme by any chance?

Proper shows you say!!!!!!! Hmm, Chefkicker, me thinks I may have hit a nerve some where. Well here goes. (breathes) I have already explained to you about my credentials in an earlier thread. My qualifications have been awarded to me by true masters in various MA's. Who gave yours? Your self? I have represented my country numerous times in full contact TKD. British Champion and undefeated too! No gloves, very thin pads, shins of stell as they said. The great 'Arthur Loughlan' saw me win it as a ...wait for it....A WHITE BELT. The rest followed. But enough of my egotistical banter, I know to leave that for you!

Master Davies(Martial artitst of the year 2006) Grand Master Liversidge, Grand Master Siddall. Hmmmm Again you won't recognise the names as you do not recognise any other martial art out side your 'ghetto' gym.(Sorry I just had to mention the reply you got in an earlier thread)

If your tiny simple, narrow mind you thought that this thread was aimed at you, do not flatter your self. It wasn't.

You again continue to totally disrespect others on here as though this forum is soley for you. I can more than match your personal trophy cabinet if that is what excites you.

Once again, I teach KOREAN KICKBOXING. Look it up. Google it. Learn that there is other MA's out there. My KKB has a grading syllabus. Fully recognised by a 'national' association. Recognised by Grand Masters. The very same Grand Masters that have invited me to take my next Dan grade, my 6th Dan. ( We have to wait to be invited to have the honour of going for your next grade, not just award it your self! I have waited and learned and widened my knowledge for 6 years for this next grade.) Time served, fully qualified and internationally recognised. How about you?

You do a different MA to me. Yep there I go, recognising your 'art'. How about you don't use this forum just to promote your 'shows' but as to post threads that people can actually have a useful opinion on?

Hmmm then may be your 'ghetto' gym needs it.

Do not ever disrespect me again on here. Tell it to me personally.

This not by any means a threat, just someone who is sick to the back teeth of your negative postings and tirades of insults to other MA's.

Hi Chefkicker, I understand your passion for Kickboxing,

just one thing about your last post, how can you put Don "The Dragon" Wilson in the same category as Jean Claude Van Dame, thats the way it comes across in your comment,

I know he makes films,some people like them some don’t

but at least he was a “kickboxer”.

I think I didn`t read the thread properly when I posted my list of qualifications to teach or to be an instructor, so I appolgise If it sounded like I was blowing my own "horn" so to speak.

I found when i was looking for somewhere to train that the "qualifcations" of the instructor didn`t really matter, what did matter was, could I learn from them,could I respect them (and did I feel they treated me with respect) and could I afford to train there.

Titles or numbers of dan tags can easily be made up or exaggerated (NO, I AM NOT ACCUSING ANYBODY ON HERE OF DECEPTION !!!!!!) the hard part is living up to them.

The OP is asking a perfectly reasonable question, as far as I can see. Several posts have been deleted, please keep it on topic and pleasant. Thank you.

It's good that you are able to list your qualifications Uncle Junior i dont think any one can accuse you of blowing your own trumpet,its good to see what youve doneand the same for master J, but the annoying thing would be if i was to give my hard earned cash to some one who claimed to be something there not i.e the qualified coach or instructor.

Playing devils advocate though, my old Wing Chun instructor (4th degree black sash) has recently split with his instructor. He now teaches several different types of martial art combined in with the Wing Chun. It is now not Wing Chun so his 4th degree title does not apply but what he is teaching is valid and appropriate.

How does he advertise his skills and get recognition for his "new" style ?

Master J is obviously very well qualified in Korean Martial arts and has CV longer then my arm. Kickboxing is harder to quantify as Chefkicker rightly points out a lot of people from TKD and Karate backgrounds claim to teach "Kickboxing". Also there are more kickboxing governing bodies than you can shake a stick at.

I have not trained with Chefkicker but have no doubt he is a legitimate coach who is passionate about his martial art.

From my time on the forum I would say he rather has the habit of causing "healthy debate" though.;)

Playing devils advocate though, my old Wing Chun instructor (4th degree black sash) has recently split with his instructor. He now teaches several different types of martial art combined in with the Wing Chun. It is now not Wing Chun so his 4th degree title does not apply but what he is teaching is valid and appropriate.

How does he advertise his skills and get recognition for his "new" style ?

Master J is obviously very well qualified in Korean Martial arts and has CV longer then my arm. Kickboxing is harder to quantify as Chefkicker rightly points out a lot of people from TKD and Karate backgrounds claim to teach "Kickboxing". Also there are more kickboxing governing bodies than you can shake a stick at.

I have not trained with Chefkicker but have no doubt he is a legitimate coach who is passionate about his martial art.

From my time on the forum I would say he rather has the habit of causing "healthy debate" though.;)

LOL thank you Uncle Junior. Yes you are right although Master J clearly has his credentials in "korean martial arts" he has not mentioned much to do with actual kickboxing.

Korean martial arts and kickboxing are two totally different things.

Karate is good for what it is, Taekwondo is good for what it is.

Kickboxing is kick-BOXING not just Karate/TKD minus the kata/forms/patterns. It needs to have its separate entity without confusing people like superstar1.

Kickboxing from my perspective is all about the ring sport.

Kickboxing is all centred around 2 guys wearing boxing gloves in the boxing ring punching and kicking each other to the head and body (sometimes the legs too).

Now there will be variations, e.g. Savate, Muay thai, Low kick kickboxing, K-1 kickboxing, Full contact , Light continuous ,...etc.

Now the local clubs i have seen that have something to do with the kickboxing scene at present are:

AFK= Light continuous/Full contact/Low kick/K-1/ Thaiboxing (modified rules )

Wicker Camp =Full muay thai rules only!!! Although the legend Daniel Hudson once fought on a K-1 sanctioned event.

SDF= K-1 style and one fought Low kick kickboxing

Lau Gar= Light continuous mainly and a few fight Full contact.

Black Dragons = Light continuous/Full contact mainly although Lewys Stokes once fought Low kick against Naz Khan and Richard Mayo did K-1 style against a Welsh thaiboxer.

KTBF = Light continuous mainly.

Marsdens = Another Light continuous based club (and they are good at the light contact) and one of their guys once did a Full Contact bout against Hamza Jet Li Majeid.

Andy Marlow's gym= Thaiboxing/K-1/Low kick/Full Contact (They wont do light at all!!! The less protection the better in andys mindset.)

Paul Oxtaby has talked about getting people on shortly and he was not a bad kickboxer himself i have heard.

Phil Glover (rotherham i believe) = REAL LEGEND , his guys fight Full contact/Low kick and Thaiboxing!

If i have omitted anyone im sorry!

Hi Chefkicker, I understand your passion for Kickboxing,

just one thing about your last post, how can you put Don "The Dragon" Wilson in the same category as Jean Claude Van Dame, thats the way it comes across in your comment,

I know he makes films,some people like them some don’t

but at least he was a “kickboxer”.

Hi mark

Only having a laugh, Don wilson fought for umpteen world titles!

Van damme fought a handful of fights i am lead to believe but was more an actor than a fighter.