Html Website help

Im in the process of tweaking our website until we have the chance to completely redesign it at some point in the new year and was after some advice.

I have added a large number of meta tags to the index page of the website. Do I have to add them to every page?

And I am wanting to add a box that people can fill in to sign up for a monthly newsletter, can anybody tell me the html code I need to add?

And lastly (sorry), on the contacts page It would be good to have an enquiries box where somebody types their email address and a question and it is emailed to a mailbox, is it easy?

I have looked on google but it all seems a little too complicated..

until someone comes with a better reply...

if it's for search engines, yes you'd add the meta-tags to every page you wanted to be indexed... although i don't think the major search engines use meta-tags that much anymore. someone will clear this up below... :-)

for an enquiries box it's a simple task but you'd need to use a server-side programming language to recieve the form's data and forward it on to your mailbox. php is probably best. check if your host supports it.

I've got a query mailform on my site that I designed it needs php 5 and a couple of libraries on the server to work but it's pretty bombproof and hacker proof

sadly it's something I sell, but as an example it'll give you something to compare with

... although i don't think the major search engines use meta-tags that much anymore. someone will clear this up below... :-)....

major grey area now, some search engines use a weighted count of links both to and from your site plus meta tags and keywords, then they do all sorts of things to spot keyword and link stuffers who try and raise their ratings by putting lots of both in

g**gle et al won't release the details of how they come to a rank for a particular site as they are afraid of people exploiting loopholes and boosting themselves up the list

wish I knew how it worked, my site isn't even in the first 20 pages :hihi:

And I am wanting to add a box that people can fill in to sign up for a monthly newsletter, can anybody tell me the html code I need to add?

And lastly (sorry), on the contacts page It would be good to have an enquiries box where somebody types their email address and a question and it is emailed to a mailbox, is it easy?

Depends how you want it to work - you can esentially use the same code to do both of these functions as a simple form, or 'snazzy' it up a bit with something a bit more complicated with more features and making it more spam proof.

If you're going the simple route - they fill out the form to let you know they want to subscribe, it e-mails you and you add their address to you distribution list, and then a different (or combine the two) but very similar form to e-mail you their query. You should find some simple code for this if you google html forms

I've got a query mailform on my site that I designed it needs php 5 and a couple of libraries on the server to work but it's pretty bombproof and hacker proof

php5 and a couple of libraries to do the following?

<?php
if ($_POST && isset($_POST['email']) && isset($_POST['message'])) {
mail('[email protected]','Message!',$_POST['email'].' says '.$_POST['message']);
}
?>
<form method="post">
email: <input type="text" name="email" />
<br />message: <input type="text" name="message" />
<input type="submit" />
</form>

... it must be amazing!

<?php
mail('[email protected]','Message!',$_POST['email'].' says '.$_POST['message']);
}
?>
<form method="post">
<input type="submit" />
</form>

... it must be amazing!

Well... It would be safer than the snippet posted above (which allows injection attacks on the form):(

eww, eww, horrid IF format :\

but yeah, should work ;)

... it must be amazing!

Maybe your could would work, in the sense that an email gets sent, but no validation or filtering of input data it could be persuaded to do other things with some clever input.

So yes, your solution works. But Esme's will probably be safer.

Of course wether a plumbing website would ever become the target of a 'proper' malicious attack is another question :hihi:

<?php
}
?>
<form method="post">
<input type="submit" />
</form>

... it must be amazing!

so I needn't have written all that code to verify inputs and generate random graphics and check email addresses or anything then, well colour me embarrassed

there are spambots that trawl the web looking for mailforms and when they find them they try a couple of preprogrammed attacks and if one works they report back, next thing you know your ISP has blocked email access from your site because you are on a spam blacklist

but you go right ahead and stick with your example

Im in the process of tweaking our website until we have the chance to completely redesign it at some point in the new year and was after some advice.

I have added a large number of meta tags to the index page of the website. Do I have to add them to every page?

Hi, here are some advice.

Firstly for your contact page: Filter the emails addresses with a class, for example: cphplib.inc, which is free obviosly.

require("cphplib.inc"); //check domain of email address

$objeto_con = new cphplib();

if (isset($_POST["email"]) && $_POST["email"]!="" )

{

if($objeto_con->checkEmail($email, true))

{

// clean input and

// send the email with the "mail" function

}

}

- I do this in my projects

- I've got the code you need, PM me if you want it.

Miguel

Google still uses the Title & Meta Description Tag, this will not help your ranking.