'Survivors' to be re-made

Yup, I remember it from the first time round too...'74?

Started off OK, but quickly tailed off from what I recall.

Had an intensely annoying Welsh actor in it as well - I can picture him now, him and his buck teeth, but can't put a name to him - who was usually an extra in comedy TV jobs, and therefore seemed out of place.

For some reason, I also remember a very young Peter Bowles appearing as a helicopter pilot.....

As soon as I noticed the new series had that Scottish woman (ex-Bonekickers) in it, my interest waned somewhat.........

I'm not going to be watching this - my memories of the original version are too strong.

I remember the original version was a very hard-hitting affair, that was really quite tough tv for the time - in fact, it was really quite shocking in its own way, quite salutory and sobering. It brought it home to people with a vengeance that there was no point in trying to survive a nuclear attack - as life for any survivors would be so nasty and brutish that no-one in their right mind would want to be a survivor.

I think it had quite a large 'political with a small p' impact on people at the time - I'm not sure what it would take for something today to have a similar effect

StarSparkle

I'm amazed that Barry Hines 'Threads' hasn't been shown on TV!

I think some of the minority satellite channels (SciFi) have shown it over the past year or two. I taped "The Day After" off there.

I agree with StarSparkle. I'd be happy to watch a re-run of the original series.

I don't think The Saint was as good when Roger Moore was replaced. Don't think the Bond movies were as good when Sean Connery made way for an older man. I digress but shows don't always 'work' well second time around with a new cast. I think there was an actor called McCulloch in the original.

I loved it!! I was hooked right through and I loved the original series too.

Can't wait for the next episode on Tuesday!! :thumbsup:

Watched the 1st episode on bbc iPlayer last night... 2 things kept coming to mind...

"they're dead Dave, everybody's dead"

and found myself preparing myself for a zombie to appear behind someone!

It was ok. Not brilliant, but I will probably be watching the next couple of episodes at least before I decide if I will carry on with it.

Watched the 1st episode on bbc iPlayer last night... 2 things kept coming to mind...

It was ok. Not brilliant, but I will probably be watching the next couple of episodes at least before I decide if I will carry on with it.

I guess "Shaun of the Dead" has potentially ruined some of these apocalyptic scenarios for good now! :P

StarSparkle

God I thought the P was back then!

Get my bloody hopes up just to dash them muttermumblemutter....

If I'd noticed that particular line I'd have been thinking of Red Dwarf :D:hihi:

HOLLY: They're dead, Dave.

LISTER: Who is?

HOLLY: Everybody, Dave.

LISTER: What, Captain Hollister?

HOLLY: Everybody's dead, Dave.

LISTER: What, Todhunter?

HOLLY: Everybody's dead, Dave.

LISTER: What, Selby?

HOLLY: They're all dead. Everybody's dead, Dave.

LISTER: Petersen isn't, is he?

HOLLY: Everybody is *dead*, Dave.

LISTER: Not Chen?

HOLLY: Gordon Bennett! Yes! Chen, everybody. Everybody's dead, Dave.

LISTER: Rimmer?

HOLLY: He's dead, Dave. Everybody's dead. Everybody is dead, Dave!

LISTER: Wait. Are you trying to tell me everybody's dead?

I've decided as it doesn't clash with anything more interesting I'll probably continue to watch it although the acting isn't exactly riveting.

How come the only female survivors so far are all reasonably attractive by the way?

If I'd noticed that particular line I'd have been thinking of Red Dwarf :D:hihi:

That particular line wasn't in there...just in my head (a la the Dwarf) when there were scenes of single person wondering through corpses.