Sign in to follow this  

ITV news story on Sheffield.

for some reason far from not featuring sheffield enough when its something like this they seem to feature it more eg that traffic cops programme. This is plainly unfair when if you look at the crime statistics sheffield is the safest and least major crime-ridden large city in the uk and this drugs quote is pure rubbish...its crack problem for example is tiny compared with places like London Birmingham or Manchester and the reason why its such a tempting target for gangs from otrher cities who see it as "untapped territory".

Sounds like the sheffield old bill are just very accomodating(like publicity) to the telly people

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

it's

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." Benjamin Disraeli

LOL, mate - you either know far too much, or are incredibly proficient with Google :)

Originally posted by gloworm

for some reason far from not featuring sheffield enough when its something like this they seem to feature it more eg that traffic cops programme. This is plainly unfair when if you look at the crime statistics sheffield is the safest and least major crime-ridden large city in the uk and this drugs quote is pure rubbish...its crack problem for example is tiny compared with places like London Birmingham or Manchester and the reason why its such a tempting target for gangs from otrher cities who see it as "untapped territory".

Sounds like the sheffield old bill are just very accomodating(like publicity) to the telly people

Also, if the SYPF can get the message accross that they have a serious problem then they are in a better position to ask for more funds to police the city.

Originally posted by Hodge

LOL, mate - you either know far too much, or are incredibly proficient with Google :)

A search for "lies, damn lies and statistics" on google gave the Disraeli source 2nd on the list of results. I thought it was Mark Twain.

Confirmed the citation at http://www.quotations.co.uk

I don't know about incredibly proficient, but I do use google constantly as a replacement for my brain

The number of lazy journalists that do exactly the same is quite staggering. Often you will see old internet urban myths reprinted as "did you know" stories in the papers, not to mention coverage of more serious events too.

Even the government probably used google to find that old PhD thesis used in the dodgy dossier!

thanks for the correction Phanerothyme!!!! Was difficult to remember after the third beer!

It's hard enough for Sheffield to shake off it's reputation as a 'dirty' industrial town!!!

Did anyone see Top Gear a couple of weeks ago when Jeremy Clarkson took the new Nissan 300SX for a ride up at Attercliffe? Made Sheffield look DISGUSTING!

We need someone in the media to like Sheffield, please!

Originally posted by geoffbowen

Unfortunately you don't often get "news" and "positive story" in the same sentence.

To be fair, Calendar almost always ends on a good news story. I make a habit of watching it every night to show my other half how great it really is in Yorkshire!

Originally posted by Rican

It's hard enough for Sheffield to shake off it's reputation as a 'dirty' industrial town!!!

Did anyone see Top Gear a couple of weeks ago when Jeremy Clarkson took the new Nissan 300SX for a ride up at Attercliffe? Made Sheffield look DISGUSTING!

We need someone in the media to like Sheffield, please!

Jeremy is from Rotherham (or at least, he worked on the local newspapar there). I think he was just taking the mick.

Mind you, I think a lot of regional programmes are made by teams from Manchester and Leeds - so it is in their interests to ignore the positive aspects of Sheffield.

Don't expect them to do it for us - we need local media teams to do it.

they never caught me:Dcos im a good lad:hihi: