Do You Have An Allergy?

Do You Have An Allergy?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Have An Allergy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know/ Not Sure

Must be a nightmare for you poor people with allergies to metal. But I was thinking in the shower this morning (as you do!) - What about shaving?! Do you have to wax etc or is the minimal time of contact to a razor ok? Or is the type of metal of a razor ok?

Where can you get tested to find out exactly what you are allergic to?

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Where can you get tested to find out exactly what you are allergic to?

referral thru doc to hosp, or pay private

I waited 2 years for my doctor to refer me to the hallamshire, and then about 6 months for an appointment. It was brilliant to actually know what I was allergic to though, as the doc had been telling me all sorts, fungal infections, not washing properly at work, that sort of thing. It really brings you down mentally cos you know there's something wrong, but when the doc tells you otherwise, you have to go with their opinion.

I think some health food stores will do food allergy testing, and some of the chinese herbalists also offer allergy testing. Personally I would ask for a referral from GP (and be persistent! it might take a long time but it's worth it.) as the hallamshire is a leading institute in allergy research.

The patch testing for contact allergies is horrible as you are not allowed to wash the area being tested (usually your back) for a week, and you are deliberately irritating the skin. I finished my testing the day before xmas eve and immediately went home to spend two hours lying down in the bath (but unfortunately without bubbles!!)

Out of interest, did any of your parents smoke during pregnancy?

I've got hayfever, always thought I might have but wasnt confirmed until about 3 years ago when optician fitted me with contact lenses and said I had little bumps under eyelids which is one symptom.

Allergic to peanuts, itchy and make me vom

Also found out recently Im allergic to cashew nuts, passed out and vom'd for ages, which was not fun.

Just curious if Im now allergic to most nuts now, which is a shame as I love hazelnuts n can quite happily sit n eat a jar of Nutella. Dont really want to find out the hard way by being badly ill but do think forking out about £80 for a test is a bit OTT!!!!

You'd think if Lloyds pharmacy do free blood sugar tests and cheap cholesterol tests they'd do allergy checks???

Judging by the poll results I'm surprised how many people have an allergy. I thought the majority would have been the other way around.

It does seem high, but then I suppose there are so many things to be allergic to!

Might be that people read the title and decided that if they did not have an allergy they were not interested in looking at the topic and voting?

I am fairly sure my parents smoked when they were expecting me, but I never had any problems as a kid. The dermatitis started at 22.

I've wondered whether allergies are on the increase as I never used to hear of them. But it may be because I have only recently been interested that I have become more aware of them.

If I get bitten by a midgie or mosquito it comes up as a huge lump and blisters....I need to take antihistamines to control the swelling....:mad:

I have an allergy that makes my hair turn grey and fall out.

My babies :D

Seriously though, I'm indestructible, me. Apart from that time I got hit over the head with a metal dustpan, but we'll not go there... :suspect:

I am allergic to nickel so cannot wear fashion jewellery...only the real thing for me....:clap: