Who is allowed to use a yellow flashing unit on the car?

who is allowed to use a yellow flashing light unit on the car/van?

vehicle recovery, road works. who else?

Can any recovery service use them?

Does the vehicle, driver or company have to have some kind of legal

document allowing the use of this yellow flash unit?

This really made me chuckle! I had a sudden vision of you walking dogs round the park with a yellow, flashing light on your head .....

Think I should have something to eat soon, I seem to be getting a tad giddy :hihi:

As far as I know anyone can use one. They have no legal significance and are just used like an additional hazard warning light.

As far as I know anyone can use one. They have no legal significance and are just used like an additional hazard warning light.

Yes, come to think of it, I've seen a bloke in a mobility scooter in Meadowhell with a yellow flashing light on top of a pole - I suppose he got fed up of all the numpties walking into the scooter!

This really made me chuckle! I had a sudden vision of you walking dogs round the park with a yellow, flashing light on your head .....

Think I should have something to eat soon, I seem to be getting a tad giddy :hihi:

DAMN YOU SUSSED ME!! lol

its for a neighbour actually the enquiry, (not for them to wear on the top of their hat though lol)

Correctamundo. (Well, "Correct." on its own isn't long enough to be posted.)

Ok slightly different question, is it a legal requirement for certain vehicles to have them?

Ok slightly different question, is it a legal requirement for certain vehicles to have them?
I doubt it. It just a warning device.

just found this while googling

Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest on this one - but any chance of some advice.

I have put this on the responder safety part of the forums as I believe we are talking safety with this one.

(Webteam feel free to move it elsewhere if required).

Here in the UK, as in the States Vollies give up their time to the emergency services in order to help others within the community. May this be fire, ambulance, police, coastguard, mountain rescue etc (not in any order of seniority!).

My query is in relation to the display of flashing warning lights on volunteer's personal vehicles when attending the station in order to turn out on an emergency call.

In the UK - No flashing light is allowed on any personal vehicle of any colour with the exception of amber for road construction or break down vehicles. (not much use in an emergency).

In the UK the following flashing lights are used;

BLUE - ALL Emergency Vehicles<br />AMBER - Construction/Breakdown to mark hazards and/or slow moving vehicles<br />GREEN - Doctors<br />YELLOW - Airport vehicles<br />RED - Not Allowed - (to front)<br />WHITE - Not Allowed - (to rear)

I know that our laws are different, but I was wondering which statute covers this for the States and it's actual wording - is it a National Law or a State law etc etc. (personal interest point of view).

Although our laws state that vehicles displaying blue lights (unlike the States we can't use red) are emergency vehicles the definition, in the eyes of the services, not the law, of an emergency vehicle remains to be "One that is owned by the emergency service provider, fully sign written and insured for emergency purposes".

Whilst I agree with the insurance side of this, surely when the pager goes off - you are required to attend an emergency! Therefore your personal vehicle becomes an emergency conveyance!

Some vollies have been thrown out of their services for using flashing lights on their vehicles, but very rarely prosecuted.... Obviously the police have a very different view on this one!

Have your rights to attend the station with flashing lights been around for a long time or has it been a gradual thing over time.

Note: for any viewers in the UK - The reason this is on an American forum is that I feel they will understand what I am getting at and instead of giving mindless abuse, that has recently been seen on the UK forums, will be able to give constructive comment (moan over).

its from http://forums.firehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-33909.html