Should all Social Security Benefit awards be publically available for inspection

If I had such a view, it probably would. Since you can't read, it really doesn't.

Your view from what I read is that "From each according to his ability to pay, to each according to their need!" is the basis for communism and the welfare and has been discredited.

The phrase whilst commonly associated with Marx is also in the bible (Acts 2:44-45) and (Acts 4:34-35). It is also so commonly held to be right that in a survey almost 50% of Americans thought it was in their constitution. (ref)

What have you against the phrase? without it there is no welfare state which you now say you agree with.

Have I misunderstood, what was your point?

I think that this thread is an interesting one to debate and haven't quite made my mind up yet on it.

Do I take it then Red that as a public representative, you don't agree with us all knowing how much you claim? That information and that of our MP's is freely available so whats the difference there then? Your income, your business???

The thread is about whether the general public should have access, e.g., via the library and/or internet, to the details of whois in receipt of welfare benefits. I have already expressed my personal opinion that such a move would be to create a Snooper's Charter, and I am firmly opposed to the notion.

In the light of my stance on this subject, you question whether I therefore disagree that details of councillor's allowances (and MP's allowances) should be protected from being made publicly available.

You are though not now discussing welfare benefits, but something entirely different - namely the allowances (and also expenses) paid to people who have been elected to public office. Councillors are in receipt of public money in order to perform their functions as elected representatives, which is a different concept to that of the public purse supporting people with welfare payments due to disabilities, unemployment, etc.

I firmly believe that the general public have a right to know what payments are made to their elected representatives. For the record I receive an annual basic allowance of £10,515.95, (which is paid to every Sheffield City councillor) plus an annual £2,854.40 special responsibility allowance (for chairing an Area Panel). I do not claim any expenses. This information is published in the press each year.

To summarise, I firmly believe that it IS indeed your business (as a council tax payer) to know what your elected representatives are paid on your behalf, but it is nobody's business (except that of the recipient) what welfare payments they may receive.

Why have salary secrecy?

Because we are English Phan.

My post was to test opinion and views. Not to make a conclusive statement.

It was aimed at hopefully opening points of view and gaining alternative ideas or a different ways that exist today.

The method of adjudications and paying Social Security benefits has been in existence for roughly Sixty years. Should we now be looking at just having one unemployability pension, or a longer term re-training benefit or a training benefit each one paying the basic minimum wage with additional premiums to cover heating and/or mobility.