Cycle Lanes

I used to cycle everywhere but gave up for several reasons. 1. Because of the atitude of car drivers: deliberately squeezing into the kerb so I couldn't pass when car traffic slow, being abused, being knocked off several time because wasn't seen etc...

2. Cycle lanes, sharing with pedestrians and being told to dismount/give way to them - impossible, sharing with buses - not enough room for both etc..

3. The increase in the number of traffic lights, i.e. you build up momentum and then have to constantly stop for red lights

Shame really but there you go

Originally posted by MobileB

Was reading the Council Leader's comments about traffic in Sheffield in The Stir last night (I know traffic has been threaded to death on here but here goes..). It was interesting to read about the integrated cycle lanes we have in Sheffield and how they have narrowed lanes throughout the city centre to introduce these cycle lanes.

Out of interest, has anyone actually ever seen anyone use the cycle lanes in the City Centre?

I ask this as a Council Tax payer, Car Tax payer, Fuel Duty Payer which has no doubt contributed to the cost of putting these things down.

Please stop trolling us. Cycle lanes are a vital infrastructure for cyclists in Sheffield. Sheffield has a fair number of cyclists and there are plenty of people to use them.

Before you whine on about paying road tax consider that road tax does not go into a special road tax fund - it goes directly into the treasury. The road tax you pay doesn't even cover the cost of cleaning up the pollution that your car creates.

The highways are for the use of everyone: Motorists, pedestrians and cyclists alike and we all have a right to decent and useful provisions.

Please take your pompous "I'm a tax-payer" attitude away. As said before: Your fuel tax and road tax do not even cover the cost of cleaning up the polution that your car creates. Fuel is also taxed because oil is fast becoming a scarce commodity; but you knew that already.

Cycling is a very quick, clean and effecient way to commute around Sheffield without adding to congestion and causing more pollution and worse air quality.

You may not be a fan of cycling yourself but please do not use your oh so pompous attitude to shoot down those who do enjoy cycling in Sheffield.

Originally posted by ptigga

Please stop trolling us. Cycle lanes are a vital infrastructure for cyclists in Sheffield. Sheffield has a fair number of cyclists and there are plenty of people to use them.

Before you whine on about paying road tax consider that road tax does not go into a special road tax fund - it goes directly into the treasury. The road tax you pay doesn't even cover the cost of cleaning up the pollution that your car creates.

The highways are for the use of everyone: Motorists, pedestrians and cyclists alike and we all have a right to decent and useful provisions.

Please take your pompous "I'm a tax-payer" attitude away. As said before: Your fuel tax and road tax do not even cover the cost of cleaning up the polution that your car creates. Fuel is also taxed because oil is fast becoming a scarce commodity; but you knew that already.

Cycling is a very quick, clean and effecient way to commute around Sheffield without adding to congestion and causing more pollution and worse air quality.

You may not be a fan of cycling yourself but please do not use your oh so pompous attitude to shoot down those who do enjoy cycling in Sheffield.

Not much point in adding to that, your quite correct and any motorist suggesting cyclists should pay tax wants to look deeper into the real problems which are caused by cars.

Do I get a refund when I take my bike and leave my car at home,, NO I don't so maybe you car drivers who moan about cyclists should try getting off your fat behinds and try riding a bike to work and help the asthmatics who's life is made a mysery caused by car exhausts.

You can see from this forum alone that feelings are high between road users that commute in cars and those on bikes, so surely the council would be better to seperate the lanes from the road, if only to lower the tension between the two.

Both groups have a right to use the road and both should be safe and courtious etc. without having to worry about the dangers of each other if possible.

Seperate lanes seem the way to go, but will we get them?

I can imagine the cost and disruption to put them in and the council only seems keen to dig up roads if it gets to close them off or turn it in to a one way system.

Hopefuly someone with sense will realise that we need better cycle routes soon and do something about it.

And please do not think this is just another rant from a cyclist fanatic, I am not. I drive a car everywhere just about (and my Motorbike), but would love the chance to use my cycle to commute if it was safer.

Originally posted by lalaland

You can see from this forum alone that feelings are high between road users that commute in cars and those on bikes, so surely the council would be better to seperate the lanes from the road, if only to lower the tension between the two.

Both groups have a right to use the road and both should be safe and courtious etc. without having to worry about the dangers of each other if possible.

Seperate lanes seem the way to go, but will we get them?

I can imagine the cost and disruption to put them in and the council only seems keen to dig up roads if it gets to close them off or turn it in to a one way system.

Hopefuly someone with sense will realise that we need better cycle routes soon and do something about it.

And please do not think this is just another rant from a cyclist fanatic, I am not. I drive a car everywhere just about (and my Motorbike), but would love the chance to use my cycle to commute if it was safer.

Cycle lanes are good when they allow cycles to go places cars can't; but cyclists will always have a place on the roads. Cycle lanes are good for contraflows and rotes where roads don't go but in most cases I much prefer cycling on the road to using a cycle lane that runs parallel to the road. Such cycle lanes are invariably so badly designed that they introduce severe obstacles at junctions with minor roads that make them more dangerous than cycling on the roads.

On the road you have right of way over vehicles entering from the side road; on the cycle path you have to slow down and be prepared to give way, not only to traffc emerging rom the side road, but also to idiot drivers who turn into the side road without checking the cyclepath first.

This country needs a model of cycle provision akin to that in Germany where 1) Cycles are licenced and face fines if they break the laws - in the same way that motorists do.

2) Cycles on cycle lanes have right of way over cars wanting to cross the cycle lane.

This country needs a model of cycle provision akin to that in Germany where 1) Cycles are licenced and face fines if they break the laws - in the same way that motorists do.

2) Cycles on cycle lanes have right of way over cars wanting to cross the cycle lane.

I'm all for these two suggestion, especially number one as this would cut down on the bad cyclists that tend to jump lights and cycle dangerously without any care as they feel untouchable.

This would then mean the roads are safer for both car and cycle users. (not totally safe, but it's an improvement if some idiots not bunny hopping off the kirb or flying around you at the lights etc.)

I have cycled to work and back all my adult life without a single accident (if we do not include the tram track incident).

I was told as a teenager to beleive that all car drivers were useless and dangerous. Advice that has kept me safe for 14 years!

Originally posted by lalaland

I'm all for these two suggestion, especially number one as this would cut down on the bad cyclists that tend to jump lights and cycle dangerously without any care as they feel untouchable.

This would then mean the roads are safer for both car and cycle users. (not totally safe, but it's an improvement if some idiots not bunny hopping off the kirb or flying around you at the lights etc.)

how does this work for children learning to ride? (the licensing i mean)

Originally posted by Cyclone

how does this work for children learning to ride? (the licensing i mean)

Didn't think that children learned to ride on the road.

I've probably said this before, unfortunately the terrian in and around Sheffield does not favour cyclists, too many damn hills, you need to be pretty fit and keen to cycle up East Bank Road for example. If Sheffield was flat like Cambridge or parts of Lincolnshire then yes it would be viable method of commuting around Sheffield.

Bring Back the Horse and Cart !

Originally posted by mega_monty

I've probably said this before, unfortunately the terrian in and around Sheffield does not favour cyclists, too many damn hills, you need to be pretty fit and keen to cycle up East Bank Road for example. If Sheffield was flat like Cambridge or parts of Lincolnshire then yes it would be viable method of commuting around Sheffield.

Bring Back the Horse and Cart !

You better tell that to me and the other cycle commuters then, there's plenty of them and none of them seem to be overly bothered by the hills.

You better tell that to me and the other cycle commuters then, there's plenty of them and none of them seem to be overly bothered by the hills.

Although it would be easier if the terrain was flatter, I look forward to maybe having the chance to ride on the Sheffield terrain and adding it to my current workout at the gym.

The hills will do you some good...