Douglas German Wilson

A family history enquiry for you and perhaps someone with vague memories.

This is a real ' Long Shot ' but hopefully worth a try.

Douglas was an Uncle of mine I never met. He was at Hutcliffe Wood Road in Sheffield in 1940 and also lived at Ridgway for a short period. There is a possibility he also lived in the area of Ringinglow Rd. He worked for the Triumph Loan Co. on Ecclesall Road, possibly died late 50's early 60's. After the death of his wife Winifred ( the marriage was childless ) he had a relationship with a lady surname of Hornsey.

His unusual middle name was the christian name of his Grandfather German Wilson, who in 1864 was part owner of the mill at Malin Bridge.

!! I am aware of information resources such as The Sheffield & District Family History Soc.

Ancestry com. Directories and Electoral Rolls etc.

Hello this is a long shot given the amount of time since you posted but I may have information for you possibly not.  German Wilson was the name my late mother in law's grandfather (possibly great) was known by.  She was Norma Mary Wilson.  Sadly she didn't have much nice to say about the gentleman something to do with marital infidelity and an acrimonious will.  Unfortunately that entire portion of the family has now passed away even her son my late husband Carl Rose who I don't think German would not have met or heard of him.  She became Norma Rose in 1947, she had a brother John Wilson and sister Betty Wilson both younger.  I know John has passed away I'm not sure about Betty, she became Betty Russell.  I don't know if this helps in anyway or if you will even get this message

Hi Runningman,

I can just offer a little information from Kelly's directories. Firstly regarding the Triumph Loan Company; the 1931 and 1933 directories show this at 92 Ecclesall Road. The 1937 and 1940 editions show the "Triumph Loan Co. Ltd., money lenders" in the "Bodega Buildings, 66 to 70 High Street". They were evidently bombed out of there, and the 1942 directory shows Douglas G. Wilson resident at 88 Ecclesall Road with the "Triumph Loan Co. Ltd, financiers" at the same address, Douglas G. Wilson being the "director". The 1951 and 1954 directories have, in the alphabetical sections: "Douglas G. Wilson, manager, Triumph Loan Co. Ltd., Orchard Chambers, 27 Church Street.".

Probate data shows that Douglas German Wilson died on 9 December 1967, at which time he was resident at 130 Causeway Head Road, Dore. He is shown there in directories I have from 1959, his wife Kathleen being at that address in later directories up to 1974, the last published.

Hi Lynn135 and hillsbro

Quite a surprise relating to information I posted in 2007, thanks to both of you !

Your information hillsbro is very interesting, quite a bit there I was unaware of !

Unfortunately  that generation  of the family are all long gone.

Hi Runningman - glad to be able (belatedly) to fill a few gaps! One more snippet - the Triumph Loan Company was evidently formed in 1927; this appeared in the "Sheffield Daily Telegraph" of 14 November 1927.

xxx.jpg

Good evening hillsbro and once again thanks !

I will just add a little more information

Douglas was born I believe in Sheffield in 1894

He married my aunt Winifred Emma Stevenson on the 5th of August 1922 at Heeley

Winifred was born 6th November 1901, died 25th October 1940

Buried in Burngreave, grave no CC 1417

Douglas re married Kathleen Hornsey in 1941

Hello again Runningman

Public records confirm that Douglas was born on 9 April 1894. His father Easton Wilson evidently died when he was two years old, and his mother Jane seems to have married John Le Pla (I cannot find a marriage record but the 1911 census return - see link below - shows them as married, living at 54 Thorndon Road with the 16 year-old Douglas). The marriages index confirms that Douglas married Winifred E. Stevenson in 1922. As you say there is another marriage record of 1941 to Kathleen Hornsey, born 1908. She may perhaps have been his secretary, as the 1939 Register shows her as a "financial secretary". Kathleen presumably inherited the £2,742 that Douglas left in his will when he died in 1967.

https://ibb.co/XXQm04G

Good evening hillsbro, this all really interesting information !

Some family members did speak of Douglas's relationship with Kathleen and that was at the time that his wife Winifred was on her death bed !!

According to a family story, Douglas did once live at Ridgeway.

My Grandparents, my Dad and my Aunt once visited the house. Douglas gave my Grandparents a lift home, My Dad and Aunt had to walk back to their home at Heeley.

There was snow on the ground, I was told my Aunt spent most of that journey on her backside after continually slipping on the icy footpaths.

Tales from the past !!