How much can I earn as a Taxi Driver, working 9am-5pm, mon-fri? (not black cab)

Depends what you declare to our old friend the taxman, My uncle ran a private hire business as owner driver he reckons on average Fri,Sat night 400 pound each night is obtainable with long shifts, 70 hrs a week would on average get him over the 1200 pound mark, depends how much you wana put in.

Radio rent is around 75 pound a week, and i think the council mot is every 6 months, insurance you'd be looking at up to £3000 a year, with insurance this high must be worth the effort in terms of earnings etc

hummm, my dad misunderstood the tax thing i think and now has to pay £8k tax that he should have paid last year.not a happy man!

hummm, my dad misunderstood the tax thing i think and now has to pay £8k tax that he should have paid last year.not a happy man!

Thats taxman for you lol

My uncle ran a private hire business as owner driver he reckons on average Fri,Sat night 400 pound each night is obtainable

Rip dime your uncle is mistaken, even if he worked 24 hours non-stop he would be lucky to earn £400, let alone do it on friday and then do it all over again the next day.

My uncle ran a private hire business as owner driver he reckons on average Fri,Sat night 400 pound each night is obtainable

Rip dime your uncle is mistaken, even if he worked 24 hours non-stop he would be lucky to earn £400, let alone do it on friday and then do it all over again the next day.

only going on what he reckons, he did do a long shift though usually 16 hrs knowing him probly more not safist thing to do driving while that tired

but no reason to doubt him

My uncle ran a private hire business as owner driver he reckons on average Fri,Sat night 400 pound each night is obtainable with long shifts

That's as close to impossible as impossible gets.

The most I've ever taken in one day was £320, that was about 5 years ago. I'd taken £100 from 8am-6pm, then got a £200 fare to Plymouth (plus £20 tip as I got her there in 3 1/2 hours)-for legal reasons, I perhaps shouldn't mention my speed down the motorway. I got home at 3am -after breaks and finding my way out of Plymouth. In todays rates, that may come close to £400, but absolutely impossible to do on both Fri and Sat, even if there were regular jobs to Plymouth, (which there aren't) and it was physically possible to drive for 19 hours on a regular basis, as I did on that one day. (which it isn't)

Radio rent is around 75 pound a week, and i think the council mot is every 6 months, insurance you'd be looking at up to £3000 a year, with insurance this high must be worth the effort in terms of earnings etc

£90-£95 now. Your insurance guess is right though. Mine is just over that figure.

Lets put some real figures, so the OP isn't confused by inaccurate reckoning.

Rent £90/week

Insurance c£50/week

Fuel c£100-£150/week

Car rental £90/week (most drivers rent at first, and this includes council costs)

Total outgoing: £350 a week.

PHV look to take about £10 an hour in fares*

Work the rest out yourselves :)

*I say average, reason:

At weekends I would look to trying for 15-20/hr average, but there are quiet periods. (i.e when people are having fun and not requiring transport)

In the week, it's hit and miss. Some nights you're lucky to take £50 for 8 hours sitting around (and burning diesel too), when it's this nippy out. There isn't a lot of work in the evenings, unless a big student event or such.

In the daytime, as the OP requested.

In contrast to the lack of work that evening drivers suffer. The main obstruction for earning capabilities in the day is traffic.

As I sent in the PM to the OP, I think the earning possibilites with those hours is meagre.

Lets put some real figures, so the OP isn't confused by inaccurate reckoning.

Rent £90/week

Insurance c£50/week

Fuel c£100-£150/week

Car rental £90/week (most drivers rent at first, and this includes council costs)

Total outgoing: £350 a week.

PHV look to take about £10 an hour in fares*

Work the rest out yourselves :)

*I say average, reason:

At weekends I would look to trying for 15-20/hr average, but there are quiet periods. (i.e when people are having fun and not requiring transport)

In the week, it's hit and miss. Some nights you're lucky to take £50 for 8 hours sitting around (and burning diesel too), when it's this nippy out. There isn't a lot of work in the evenings, unless a big student event or such.

In the daytime, as the OP requested.

In contrast to the lack of work that evening drivers suffer. The main obstruction for earning capabilities in the day is traffic.

As I sent in the PM to the OP, I think the earning possibilites with those hours is meagre.

by the wording off your first paragraph are you infering that my figures are not real mine are bang on and the earning potential

Taxi drivers can also earn extra cash by stocking up on kebabs and selling them to hungry clubbers on their way home at prices that undercut the takeaways.

by the wording off your first paragraph are you infering that my figures are not real mine are bang on and the earning potential

Wasn't aimed at you. I just couldn't be bothered quoting everyone.

Having reread your posts, you probably posted the most accurate points. However you yourself said you've quickly worked out in your head, so my post still has some merit as I posted a breakdown of the figures. ;)

Taxi drivers can also earn extra cash by stocking up on kebabs and selling them to hungry clubbers on their way home at prices that undercut the takeaways.

Your humour has just given me a great idea :idea:

At night, loads of customers say 'can you stop at a bank machine'. I could install one of those rip off mini bank machines in the car and charge £1.50 per transaction.:)

(not quite sure how long my car would last on the driveway though:hihi:)

You should tell the taxman you earn £5k per year like many self employed people do :thumbsup: