How much can I earn as a Taxi Driver, working 9am-5pm, mon-fri? (not black cab)

I'm commenting on the fact you are advocating

a) not declaring a sizeable portion of your income

b) commiting benefit fraud

not only that you seem to be quite PROUD of the fact. Your justification for doing all of these ILLEGAL things is so that you can have a 'nice holiday'

It's like me going and robbing a pensioner to have a weekend break.

If you were just advocating the odd quid or tip, and not the sleazy wholesale vocation you appear to promote then maybe my shock and digust would be nowhere near as huge. You're a criminal, and I'll treat you as such.

a) i can assure you 90+% of taxi/minicab driver dont declare a sizeable portion of their takings

b) whats the problem at least i am not milking the system to the max like a lot of people i know,

a) i can assure you 90+% of taxi/minicab driver dont declare a sizeable portion of their takings

b) whats the problem at least i am not milking the system to the max like a lot of people i know,

and people that own restruarants dont neither you own one dont you

Well in this post you are calling Spruce an idiot & then later you are defending him.Hmm

i miss read spruce post and though he said one day, £1500 can be done in 3-4 days, but at the end of day, you have to know the area well, not afraid of hard work and bung the operator a few £££ each week so he keeps you busy by putting you on top of list or just keep texting you jobs and gives you the best jobs, there i have told you how you can make 3K + in a week easy

and people that own restruarants dont neither you own one dont you

yes i do and i get little mugs like you to do all the hard work for me @£6 while i go and earn more pocket money on taxis

youd make more being a muslim and charging double at christmass according to another thread :)

jamesconner3,

I haven't read the whole thread, only the first page, so see if you think this comment is relevant or not and do what you will with it.

DONT DO IT!!!

it IS possible to pull in £400 per week regularly, before tax, but you will be so mentally worn out from it that you wont want to go back to work the next week. But then you have to because you've got bills to pay. To earn this amount you WILL have to work peak hours at evenings and in to the early hours in the morning, and then it wont come easy. LONG shifts (which should be made illegal as they are dangerous, but everyone has to earn their wage to live on so it is ignored).

Oh, and it is rediculously dangerous as well. You know the people on buses who no-one wants to sit next to.... guess what, you're in luck!

You will hear people talk of carjackings, knives, guns, gangs, drugs and drug runs, violent non-payers, and probably a lot more that will occur to me later. Oh, and the Sheffield council will treat you like something they scrape off the bottom of their shoe. Do a different job, you have been warned :) people will $h!7 on you left right and center in this job, then you will bust your ass to get employment doing something else. Well 95% of drivers do anyhoo.

jamesconner3,

I haven't read the whole thread, only the first page, so see if you think this comment is relevant or not and do what you will with it.

DONT DO IT!!!

it IS possible to pull in £400 per week regularly, before tax, but you will be so mentally worn out from it that you wont want to go back to work the next week. But then you have to because you've got bills to pay. To earn this amount you WILL have to work peak hours at evenings and in to the early hours in the morning, and then it wont come easy. LONG shifts (which should be made illegal as they are dangerous, but everyone has to earn their wage to live on so it is ignored).

Oh, and it is rediculously dangerous as well. You know the people on buses who no-one wants to sit next to.... guess what, you're in luck!

You will hear people talk of carjackings, knives, guns, gangs, drugs and drug runs, violent non-payers, and probably a lot more that will occur to me later. Oh, and the Sheffield council will treat you like something they scrape off the bottom of their shoe. Do a different job, you have been warned :) people will $h!7 on you left right and center in this job, then you will bust your ass to get employment doing something else. Well 95% of drivers do anyhoo.

Having worked on taxis since 1978, I'll second that. Your comments regarding the council are utterly true. It was ok in my early days but costs got worse and worse. In 2003 I became one of the 95% you refer to in your last sentence. Unless you are willing to work very long unsociable hours and tolerate all sorts of abuse, you will not make a decent living.

Can i obtain a taxi license without sitting ANY tests? If so, which areas are they? Thanks in advance.

Can i obtain a taxi license without sitting ANY tests? If so, which areas are they? Thanks in advance.

no, basically, you have to have at least your driving license (which involves taking two tests, a written and a practical...) and a basic knowledge of your car etc.

This thread is really interesting. I am a taxi user, and I don't drive.

Sometimes going out in a group via a taxi reduces our daily costs.

I've moved to Cambridge now, and there is a LOT of taxi work here. Both for airport transfers, and/or local work.

Maybe the type of work in Sheffield are only that of nights outs? Maybe there are a few companies that requires their staff to be travelling to/fro Europe via this route?

What I have found is that, in Sheffield, there are not that many Airport Taxis. To be honest, if I can get rid of RCAs, and not use them as airport transfers, then I will. As I recall their charges were quite high. I used to use a company who solely used local drivers for pick-ups. Maybe it is time to be self registered, and then use companies to get the flow of customers in? That's how things work down here in Cambridge. You have to pre-book everywhere you go. Which is a pain.

no, basically, you have to have at least your driving license (which involves taking two tests, a written and a practical...) and a basic knowledge of your car etc.

I DO have a driver's license. The question was can i apply for a taxi driver's license without taking any tests? If so what are the areas? Thanks

To become a Taxi Driver you need to go through a taxi test, all information is available from the Sheffiled Town Hall.