'Priority' Council Housing- how long and where to?

Hi all,

The last thing I want is to see another thread of this type descend into the usual thread whereby it's an arguement about social housing, benefits etc. etc.

All I am after is for anyone who has been/is/has or knows someone who is on the council's 'priority' housing, for whatever reason. I mean the current system of where you have someone bid for all suitable properties on your behalf if you do not do so, and no choice of which area. How long were you waiting from being awarded priority, and what were you offered- what is one you had chosen? What happened if you didn't want to move into what you had been offered?

Any helpful replies appreciated.

My neice had overcrowding priority and was told a 16 week wait, it took a bit longer than that and she rang up to enquire why, only to be told that they had just sent a letter offering her a property at pasons cross (convenient!) shes accepted the property - and has waited well over a month for the keys, she still hasnt got them. So basically its taken from April until she signs for the keys, they keep promising her another week....for the past few weeks!

I currently have mobility priority which is a 13 week wait, again thats well out, but nothing has come up. We recieved a phone call asking if we were interested in a house, sadly it was too far away for us to accept, so we had to turn it down. They sent a letter last week offering us the same property, again had to explain that it was simply too far away (my daughters school and family support reasons). They then got a bit nasty (this could be just one person, not condemning the whole dept) and told us we would lose priority in that case. This was to my partner when I wasnt at home, so I rang up to find out what was happening, and was told they would ring back as the person I needed to speak to was off sick (???), this was Thursday and I'm still waiting....lol. I will let you know when I know if we've lost priority altogether or have to be reassessed!

We've had priority since August because of over crowding.

Not been offered anywhere and when i ring the property shop it's like banging your head on a brick wall.....they don't update their site that tell's you when a house was taken and when they place bid's for you, they bid on coming soon property's that no one can bid on yet......surely this is wrong, as when the property's go up for general bidding the property has already been alocated to someone else. :loopy:

Well at least I know what to expect, I am in need of a 2 bed property.. of course I would prefer a house but I am not deluded enough to think I would get one. Am registered with every HA going, too, but getting nowhere fast with those either. Just wish I could afford to buy or even privately rent! Even with a child, an upper maisonette in my local area or a couple of other areas, or in fact a lot of places with the exception of total dumps not suitable for a child to grow up in, would suit.

I thought as soon as I had priority I would have something within 4 weeks but they did say could be 12 weeks or more. Ah well, will have to wait and see.

my daughters been on priority for 23 weeks ,still no offers . it takes 7 week to get accepted on priority and they tell you 16 weeks but dont hold your breath .

They then got a bit nasty (this could be just one person, not condemning the whole dept) and told us we would lose priority in that case. This was to my partner when I wasnt at home, so I rang up to find out what was happening, and was told they would ring back as the person I needed to speak to was off sick (???),this was Thursday and I'm still waiting....lol. I will let you know when I know if we've lost priority altogether or have to be reassessed!

Not at all surprising - I had that with another council worker in a different council department - so much for the DDA.

People will be given a choice of area in some circumstances, particularly when being in a that area means they can get support they really need, as opposed to just being quite handy. If you look in the property paper from Sheffield Property Shop, the last page will tell you how long successful bidders have either had priority or been on the waiting list (waiting time) - some families have been waiting a couple of years for the larger properties (3 bed +). Sad, but Sheffield has lost just so many properties in the last 20 years, (about 40,000) there simply isn't enough to go round.

honeyB - you might want to ask to speak to the co-ordinator of Health and Housing Needs.

People will be given a choice of area in some circumstances, particularly when being in a that area means they can get support they really need, as opposed to just being quite handy. If you look in the property paper from Sheffield Property Shop, the last page will tell you how long successful bidders have either had priority or been on the waiting list (waiting time) - some families have been waiting a couple of years for the larger properties (3 bed +). Sad, but Sheffield has lost just so many properties in the last 20 years, (about 40,000) there simply isn't enough to go round.

honeyB - you might want to ask to speak to the co-ordinator of Health and Housing Needs.

Oh, thanks for that, what exactly do they do? Never heard of them?

Well at least I know what to expect, I am in need of a 2 bed property.. of course I would prefer a house but I am not deluded enough to think I would get one. Am registered with every HA going, too, but getting nowhere fast with those either. Just wish I could afford to buy or even privately rent! Even with a child, an upper maisonette in my local area or a couple of other areas, or in fact a lot of places with the exception of total dumps not suitable for a child to grow up in, would suit.

I thought as soon as I had priority I would have something within 4 weeks but they did say could be 12 weeks or more. Ah well, will have to wait and see.

Have you read the bits about priority in the council's lettings policy? http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/find-a-new-home/council-housing/lettings-policy

I'd be wary about basing your hopes on someone else's experience, as much will depend on what properties become empty. Sadly the general lack of available council homes is having an effect on how quickly someone can get a property. You're doing the right thing by registering with HAs as well, at least you're widening your options.

Oh, thanks for that, what exactly do they do? Never heard of them?

Health & Housing Needs are the part of the Housing Dept. that deal with medical priority. Of course, if your priority isn't a medical one, then it's not much use to you.

Health & Housing Needs are the part of the Housing Dept. that deal with medical priority. Of course, if your priority isn't a medical one, then it's not much use to you.

No, its mobility we have, well I assume medical and mobility are different?