Does anyone know how the Child Care tax credit works

I've come off maternity leave recently and want to start work part time. I want to know how much if any help I would get towards child care cost.

I have spoken to 3 different person at Inland Revenue, and although they were nice and helpful, each one has told me something completely different. And in the booklet it says you must be on family tax credit to get help.

Is anyone getting child care tax credit or knows the proper way it is worked out. Thanks

From my experience you get paid 70% towards the cost of child care charges, but from what I was told by inland revenue it is a maximum of £135 per week for one child and something around £230 per week for 2 children but that sum could be more I am not too sure.

I was also told that this only applies if your annual income doesnt exceed £22,000 for a family with one child and £32,000 for a family with two children.

If the income does exceed those amounts P.A. then from what I was told you are not entitled to the benefit.

My childminder charges me £600 per month and tax credits pay me £420 towards this leaving me the rest of £180 to pay.

Hope this helped.

Best Regards

Joanne

Thanks Joanne for your help.

It's quite sad as it seems that if I want to work I would need to find a job that pays me quite little in order to get help with child care cost.

So someone else looks after my baby while I do some low paying job. Why don't the government just pay me the money they would pay my childminder, I would be quite happy to mind my own child.

To be honest with you I wish I never went back to work, it seems I am just working to pay the childminder and this has cost me time away from my son.

I would of been much happier and so would of my son if I stayed at home but the problem for me now is that I cant just give up work because I wouldnt qualify for any benefits, I would have to be sacked or signed off sick.

The only reason I went back to work is because I didnt want to be pigeon holed as another single parent sponging off the state, but now I feel like Ive done myself and my son an injustice just to please society.

Do you have much support from your partner / family? if you do it may ease the pressure somewhat.

I agree with what you said though it seems pointless working in a low paid job while the government pay someone else to look after your child, I wish now I hadnt been so hasty in my decision to get back to the workforce.

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide to do

Best regards

Joanne

Just a thought, wait by 2010, the goverment are planning to pay for all chilcare costs, but your liitle one will be too old for help.

Please note this is not a dig at you, just 'venting, out loud' about people who don't have to claim child child care, but get employment expences to pay for wallpaper at 120.00 a roll of wallpaper and upto 70p per mile for petrol.