Steam trains in Sheffield megathread

Is anybody going on this?

Lincoln Christmas Fayre

Sunday 9th December 2007

Steam Haulage throughout behind 71000 Duke of Gloucester

Our steam hauled train leaves York at 08.30 hauled by the popular BR Pacific Duke of Gloucester, number 71000. We will call at Leeds, Wakefield and Sheffield to pick up further customers. Our locomotive will have to work hard on the climb to Dronfield Tunnel and then on past Chesterfield with its crooked spire. Leaving the Erewash Valley we take the Midland Railway route through Nottingham, to Newark Castle station and Lincoln where there will be nearly four hours to explore.

Lincoln Market is a huge festive market that takes over the grounds of the Norman Castle and most of the streets, with black and white timber-framed buildings, surrounding the fine Norman Cathedral. Brightly coloured stalls, decorated with lights, sell every conceivable Christmas gift and traders are in Victorian costume. Enjoy the smell of chestnuts roasting, mince pies and hot mulled wine, and the sound of hand bell ringers or local choirs singing carols, street theatre and perhaps a beautiful service in the majestic Cathedral. These are just some of the reasons people flock to this beautiful City at this special time of the year.

Our train departs Lincoln at 16.30, steam hauled again with the Duke, and retraces its steps back to York setting down as outwards. Our own Santa Claus and his elves will be making visits to our train with mulled wine, mince pies and presents for the children despite his busy schedule at this time of the year.

http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/2007pages/7uk12_09lincoln.htm

The Lincoln Christmas Fayre excursion has been subject to some changes.

The Duke of Gloucester has been replaced by LMS Class 5MT 4-6-0 no 45407 & BR Class 4MT 2-6-0 no 76079.

By the way, does anyone know where the watering point is mentioned for "Heeley Up Line" on the itinerary shown at the above Link?

Many thanks

Hi

This day sounds great, do you need to book, if so where can i book and how much will it cost, from sheffield to lincoln for 2 adults and a 4 yr old.

Thanks

I'm not connected with steam trains in any way, other than being fascinated by them, but found this page: The Railway Touring Co - The Lincoln Christmas Fayre. Down the bottom is a Link to click on if you want to book tickets.

I couldn't afford it, so I'll just be waiting along it's route in the hope of capturing it on film!

could anyone help me in finding out the expected times in the sheffield area of this train and vantage points to photograph it from

thanks

Here's the official itinerary for The Lincoln Christmas Fayre excursion.

I've made a note of the following as I'll be hoping to video the double-header as it goes past:

10:57am - Arriving at Sheffield Station from Rotherham

10:59am - Departing Sheffield Station for Chesterfield

11:07am - Stopping on Heeley Up Line for water

11:47am - Starting again on Heeley Up Line

12:03pm - Arriving at Chesterfield Station (via Dronfield Tunnel by Twentywell Lane)

6:07pm - Departing from Chesterfield Station for Sheffield

6:19pm - Arriving at Dore Station Junction

6:34pm - Arriving at Sheffield Station and stopping for water

7:12pm - Departing Sheffield Station for Rotherham

My dad and his brothers were major train spotters in the steam era, and used to observe trains from Hutcliffe Woods, the Abbey Lane road bridge, certain areas of Millhouses Park where you can get between the River Sheaf and the embankment chain-link fencing, Dore Station.......

Some of those locations aren't really suitable for photography due to fencing, trees or vantage points, but I suppose it depends on what kind of view you want. Abbey Lane road bridge at Beauchief would be a good one as the track's uphill with good visibility. Both engines will be labouring quite hard as it's all uphill from Sheffield Station to the Dronfield Tunnel.

Personally, I can't decide on Archer Road or Abbey Lane as a vantage point.

Hi

This day sounds great, do you need to book, if so where can i book and how much will it cost, from sheffield to lincoln for 2 adults and a 4 yr old.

Thanks

I think it's too late to book for tomorrow's excursion, but I can recommend the day trips organised by the Railway Touring Co. My wife and I enjoyed the "Cheshireman" tour from Cleethorpes (also Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Hatfield) to Chester and back on 17 November behind 60009 Union of South Africa. The tours are not cheap - they start at £69-£79 for a standard class seat, and for £90+ you get a first class seat including a morning snack and afternoon tea. If you want the full works, £159-£169 will give you a first class seat plus a (huge) English breakfast, light lunch and four-course dinner, all served at your seat. Children's fares are between about 60% and 75% of the full fare. The quality of the food served for the full meals is excellent, but the 12-coach train also includes a buffet car for takeaways. The coaching stock is 1950s ex-B.R., and very nostalgic for those of us who can remember steam-hauled trains (comfortably upholstered seats, windows that you can open, steam heating that you can turn up or down in each coach etc.) Only a few of the trips pick up at Sheffield or points nearby, but it's worth keeping an eye on the website for tours in the New Year - see http://www.railwaytouring.co.uk/

what time will it be passing through dronfield?

According to the schedule it should pass through Dronfield at about 11-55 am and 6-15 pm, but in my experience, good timekeeping is not these tours' strong point (for example, last month the Cheshireman was about 20 minutes late arriving in Chester, and about an hour late getting back to Cleethorpes).

Was this the train that was making steam (or whatever the proper phrase is!) at Sheffield this morning?

It was an impressive looking thing, and was billowing steam up and out over the road infront of the station.

I'm kicking myself!!!!

This morning, The Yorkshireman excursion (from St Albans to York and back) travelled from Chesterfield to Sheffield for water, and was due to arrive at Sheffield Station at 10:57am and departing towards Rotherham at 11:30am.

Grrrrrrr!!!! I've got to look more closely at these itineraries!

On it's way back it went via Treeton, Whittington and Chesterfield, bypassing Sheffield.

So annoyed I missed it. Then again, the weather was pretty poor. I just hope tomorrow improves a little.

The excursion today was scheduled to be the same two engines due tomorrow.

The watering point at helley is the loop line at the bottom of woodseats road .

I was at work this morning and just saw the top of it while in the office