Dawson & Patchett

I'm still (...) investigating William Johnson Patchett (1875-1931), builder - contractor - paperhanger - joiner, in Hillsborough.

I now find that in Kelly's DIRECTORY for the years 1902, 1903 and 1905 Patchett is listed as a partner in Dawson & Patchett, builders & contractors, Wardsend, Wadsley Bridge.

Dawson = Frederick Joseph Dawson.

Anyone ever heard of Dawson & Patchett, know of anything they built, or know anything about F.J. Dawson?

Frits

If any help he lived at 4 Crofton ave Hillsbrough in 1927 [builder] William Maxfield builders merchants Dodd st, house 4 Crofton Ave plus Patchets concrete Works Ltd floor layers hawksley Ave.Dawson not listed.

Thanks Hutch, I knew some of the stuff you cite. It so happens that 4 Crofton Avenue, William Johnson Patchett's 'mansion' for many years, is currently for sale (agents Haybrook); I wish I had that kind of money to spend ... William Maxfield Patchett (1901-1975) was William Johnson P's son; he did the building merchants business on Dodd St..

I don't know that Patchetts Concrete Works refer to the same Patchett(s)? At the least, William Johnson P, the father, had an older bro living in Sheffield, George Daniel P, who was a bricklayer; I should have thought that bricklaying skills was as good of a qualification for starting a Concrete Works as having been a builder & contractor. But what do I know?

Otoh, between 31 July 1925 and 16 August 1928, according to the Register of Approved Building Plans in Sheffield Archives, William Johnson Patchett undertook no building activities: possibly, because he was concentrating instead on getting the Concrete Works going?

Either way, the Concrete Works do not seem to have been much of a success. You report them 1927; I also find them in the 1928 White's Directory. I have no access to W's Directories for 1929,

1930; but by 1931, they are gone.

As to Dawson & Patchett, builders & contractors (= Frederick Joseph Dawson, Wlliam Johnson P.), the earliest I find them listed is in the 1901 Directory. The first Directory before that that the Local Studies library allows me access to, is 1898: which lists a Frederick Dawson, builder, 105 Springvale Road: surely the same guy as Frederick Joseph D of Dawson & Patchett. The next Directory before that on the Local Studies open shelves has no F. or F.J. Dawson, builder (and in fact 105 Spring Vale Road is not listed either).

So Dawson & Patchett still essentialy remains uncharted territory ...

Frits

I am trying to get a grip on the firm of Dawson & Patchett (F.J. Dawson; W.J. Patchett), builders & contractors in Wadsley Bridge / Wardsend around the turn of the century, 1900.

As recorded (at least) in the Directories for 1902 and 1903, for a time, Frederick Joseph Dawson lived 65 Vere Road and William Johnson Patchett lived next door, 63 Vere Road.

Last Sunday, I therefore went to have a look at Vere Road. It turns out that Vere Road, and the streets in that area (Bickerton Road, Farndale Road, Fielding Road, Leake Road; and the stretches of Leppings Lane and Penistone Road adjacent to them) are truly riddled with sanitary inspection covers inscribed "Dawson & Patchett".

All in all, some 280 houses; I assume that they were all built by Dawson & Patchett. The dates on the elevations range from 1899 to 1906.

Interestingly, one of the two 1899 dates is on the elevation of 220/222 Penistone Road: "TOYNTON - 1899 - COTTAGES". Toynton is the village in Lincolnshire where W.J. Patchett was born. It would seem that the first houses he ever got to build, he named them after his birthplace. How truly romantic!:)

Incidentally, much of this area was inundated by the floods this summer. A truly sorry sight, still.:(

Meanwhile, I keep being interested in anything anyone can contribute in re Dawson & Patchett and/or W.J. Patchett. Thanks.

Frits

WOW to think that the covers have been there over 100 years and the names live on.:o

Hi. I am interested in items appertaining to Frederick Dawson of Dawson & Patchett  (Builders) as Frederick Joseph Dawson was my Great Grandad. If anyone wants to know more about the houses they built and especially the names given to same, I am willing to explain some mysteries that have been commented on. Regards, Anthony Dawson.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2007 at 17:04, frits_stuur said:

I'm still (...) investigating William Johnson Patchett (1875-1931), builder - contractor - paperhanger - joiner, in Hillsborough.

I now find that in Kelly's DIRECTORY for the years 1902, 1903 and 1905 Patchett is listed as a partner in Dawson & Patchett, builders & contractors, Wardsend, Wadsley Bridge.

Dawson = Frederick Joseph Dawson.

Anyone ever heard of Dawson & Patchett, know of anything they built, or know anything about F.J. Dawson?

Frits

I believe W J Patchett was involved in building houses on Withens Avenue. I am in the process of having the original doors in my property stripped back and found a brass plate on the door fixtures that reads “W J Patchett Sheffield”. My house dates from around 1913. 

Hi.annaloves . It is a while since your request for information about Patchett (builders). My Grandfather Ernest Dawson was senior partner in the Builders Dawson & Patchett who also built over 300 houses in Sheffield. Most were in the region of the Sheffield Wednesday Football Ground i.e. Penistone Road, Vere Road, Fielding Rd, Bickerton Road. These can be seen to have 'Cottage' or 'Villa'  Names cut into the stone frontages of Lincolnshire Villages  where the Dawson's originated from! I am a  Grandson of Ernest Dawson the senior partner and am researching the family history of the Dawson's of Authorpe in  Lincolnshire to whom I am related.

Has communication ceased on this topic of Dawson & Patchett (Builders) started by Fritz Stuur ????