Welcome to Sheffield!

Did anyone see the BBC's programme last night entitled 'Welcome to Britain'?

For those of you who didn't, it was giving quite an objective view on the asylum process, following a number of asylum seekers that had been classified as minors that have entered the country from fear of persecution in their home country without parents or family.

I noticed that at least one had been shipped off to Sheffield. It appears that Sheffield is housing a large number of these indiviudals, and I was wondering what everyone's views on this were, as it obviously presents many social and economic issues having such an influx of people on one area.

I was surprised that it hasn't been discussed on here previously (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Whilst I do not like the pressures of assylum seekers on this countries social structure or economy, how the hell can you refuse a child?

I think it is important that checks are obvisouly made for surviving family, not only for the child's well being and happiness, but also to stop the kids being used by the families to gain entry to the UK.

Moon

I'm all for doing our bit as a country to help the asylum seekers but why the hell put them in areas like sheffield where there are already enough deprived people. Why not let the more affluent areas of the south east do their bit...

Originally posted by gloworm

Why not let the more affluent areas of the south east do their bit...

can I please be cynical and say 'because they'd all vote Tory at the next election'?

There are so many asylum seekers in the world that this will be a problem for the western affluent nations for years to come.

Sadly, due to the small size of great britain, we have already passed saturation point and I don't see how we can possibly take any more, without it doing irreversible damage to our economy.

Tom it has been discussed at great length on this forum here. Tempers were raised on both sides of the debate and I think that the thread was almost closed down.

Well my view may seem simplistic to some but I believe we should look after own own people and their problems first.

Originally posted by gloworm

I'm all for doing our bit as a country to help the asylum seekers but why the hell put them in areas like sheffield where there are already enough deprived people. Why not let the more affluent areas of the south east do their bit...

they do already

Archived