Fuel protests vote

Fuel protest, good or bad?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Fuel protest, good or bad?

• People who protested would get my support
    • I wouldn't support any protest
    • not bothered either way

Did you support the 2000 fuel protests and do you think there should be or will be more happening again soon

I supported it but the Government has us all by the nuts, public transport is dying on its feet so we all need our cars to go to work. If you have a car you need fuel no choice.

I supported it but the Government has us all by the nuts, public transport is dying on its feet so we all need our cars to go to work. If you have a car you need fuel no choice.

Apathy is the worst sort of sin you can commit, bottom line, if we have no fuel = no going to work = no wages = no tax revenue + no fuel tax revenue = no money for the goverment = goverment panics

I used to be quite passionate about apathy but now I just can't be bothered any more.

Back in 2000, the fuel protesters got us nowhere. They cost the country billions of pounds, and we had garages charging up to £14 for a gallon of petrol. And it was highly political, largely led by Tories (remember William Hague describing them as 'fine upstanding citizens' despite the chaos they caused?) who only did it for themselves and for nobody else - as admitted by one of the protesters themselves.

Apathy is the worst sort of sin you can commit, bottom line, if we have no fuel = no going to work = no wages = no tax revenue + no fuel tax revenue = no money for the goverment = goverment panics

But what are we going to do when the oil runs out, or supply starts slowing... then the price is really going to skyrocket!

Wouldn't it be better to protest the fact that we have no good alternative to oil driven cars? And while we wait for that, why not protest the fact that the car makers don't concentrate on giving us better fuel efficiency, and not be so bothered about how fast it goes or how many cup holders it has?

I'd support a protest to increase the price of petrol for private road users......

Back in 2000, the fuel protesters got us nowhere. They cost the country billions of pounds, and we had garages charging up to £14 for a gallon of petrol. And it was highly political, largely led by Tories (remember William Hague describing them as 'fine upstanding citizens' despite the chaos they caused?) who only did it for themselves and for nobody else - as admitted by one of the protesters themselves.

IIRC, the 2000 protesters actually were only interested in fuel duty being reduced on comercial fuel and were quite happy for motorists in general to bare the brunt of the taxation.

Of course, they kept this pretty much under wraps at the time for fear of reducing public support to 0%

IIRC, the 2000 protesters actually were only interested in fuel duty being reduced on comercial fuel and were quite happy for motorists in general to bare the brunt of the taxation.

Of course, they kept this pretty much under wraps at the time for fear of reducing public support to 0%

They tried to keep it under wraps but it didn't escape my attention.:hihi:

The thing is that fuel prices were lower then than they are now and we had protests. So whats keeping them in check now. We were talking about it the other morning in the garage after filling up. What is it about this government that keeps squeezing every last bit of our wages out of us.....Petrol, House prices, Mortgage payments....The list goes on. They can start today for my vote.

Tax on fuel makes more sense than the alternative, road pricing. Labour were stung by the fuel protests in 2000 and as a result are now obsessed with the idea of putting tracking devices in everyone's car. Given the choice I'd rather just pay a few pence extra a litre.

Besides, if fuel is so expensive, why do you see so many big thirsty cars around?

Tax on fuel makes more sense than the alternative, road pricing. Labour were stung by the fuel protests in 2000 and as a result are now obsessed with the idea of putting tracking devices in everyone's car. Given the choice I'd rather just pay a few pence extra a litre.

Besides, if fuel is so expensive, why do you see so many big thirsty cars around?

I agree 100%.

Also agree with Snook that we need alternatives. Perhaps £2 a litre might result in more alternatives, get a few cars off the road, and make city living more pleasant.