Gordon Banks Birthplace

On 08/11/2007 at 14:28, CHAIRBOY said:

http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=2496 Tinsley

http://www.treetonweb.co.uk/family/banks.htm - Catcliffe

No wonder he was rarely beaten with that span!

Without any of your background news, I always thought he was born in Tinsley but can't say definitvely.

He is regarded as a Sheffielder, isn't Catcliffe part of Rotherham, likewise, Treeton?

In those days they were neither Sheffield nor Rotherham. Catcliffe, Treeton and Brinsworth were all considered to be under the West Riding. I had a different bus pass to all the Sheffield and Rotherham kids, as I lived in both Catcliffe and Brinsworth as a kid but went to school in Sheffield.

7 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

In those days they were neither Sheffield nor Rotherham. Catcliffe, Treeton and Brinsworth were all considered to be under the West Riding. I had a different bus pass to all the Sheffield and Rotherham kids, as I lived in both Catcliffe and Brinsworth as a kid but went to school in Sheffield.

I remember going to an FA cup match at Leicester in the 1960,s to watch the Blades play them.Leicester had just sold Banks and the Leicester crowd kept shouting at Shilton not to play too good as they would sell him !!!!!

7 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

On 09/11/2007 at 07:15, himagain said:

My mom was called Binks and sat next to Gordon at school in Tinsley. She lived on Ferras road too.

I'll go ask her

On the same table binks and banks