Gordon Banks Birthplace

Thats very interesting indeed, I'm glad thats solved your argument.

I couldnt actually remember the street name my gran lived on, i looked in the street guide and only saw freerick street, so I presumed it was that one, but as you say Arthur street used to be next to it so this must have been the street she live on.

Isn't it funny how some things stick in your mind, this must have been on the tv about 34 years ago.:)

Full marks HILLSBRO for taking the bull by the horns and coming up with the definitive result.

It looks as though Arthur Road is now part of Southcroft Gardens.

I can vouch for him living in Tinsley. He lived at 138 Ferrars Road!

Maybe one day there will be a blue "Gordon Banks lived here" plaque on 138 Ferrars Road. They certainly couldn't put one on 15 Arthur Road! :)

Just a "postscript" to the thread. Not knowing what to do with Gordon Banks' birth certificate, I decided that it's more likely to be of use to him than anyone, and so I sent it to him. I received a nice handwritten reply, as follows:

"Dear Phil, Many thanks for the letter and birth certificate. I don't need to remind you of the old saying how time has flown, but it really has for me!! I did live in Catcliffe and Treeton for a while, but I was really brought up in Tinsley. I am proud to have made a name for my family and of course for Sheffield. I'll always remember my school days and how I started out. Thank you again and all the best, Yours sincerely, Gordon Banks".

well done hillsbro, excellent

Dean

Just a "postscript" to the thread. Not knowing what to do with Gordon Banks' birth certificate, I decided that it's more likely to be of use to him than anyone, and so I sent it to him. I received a nice handwritten reply, as follows:

"Dear Phil, Many thanks for the letter and birth certificate. I don't need to remind you of the old saying how time has flown, but it really has for me!! I did live in Catcliffe and Treeton for a while, but I was really brought up in Tinsley. I am proud to have made a name for my family and of course for Sheffield. I'll always remember my school days and how I started out. Thank you again and all the best, Yours sincerely, Gordon Banks".

Thats really nice of Gordon to write to you Hillsbro, what a nice fellow, where is he living now as a matter of interest? :)

Gordon now lives in a rural part of Staffordshire, not far from Stoke where he played so well (PM me if you'd like the address). The personal, handwritten reply that I received is typical of the man - he always had time for people. It's such a shame that a car accident should have ended his career so abruptly, but he is evidently enjoying retirement with his family, and he's in demand on the after-dinner speaking circuit.

Hi Hillsbro

I wonder if you could get in touch.

I'm just preparing the blurb (possibly for the cover) for a book - a new biography of Gordon Banks (not titled yet!). Should be under contract to write it in a couple of weeks.

So I'd really like to contact the man if you can help.

I have found the thread invaluable in background information.

Jim

I sure my dad once told me that he used to work with Gordon Banks dad at company called W T Flathers in Tinsley. The company closed many years ago during the demise of the steel industry in Sheffield. Sadly my dad died a few years ago so I can't confirm it with him.

I can vouch for him living in Tinsley. He lived at 138 Ferrars Road!
Yep - dead right Billy. The Kelly's directories for 1942 and 1954 show "Thomas Banks, grinder" at 138 Ferrars Road..:)