Gordon Banks Birthplace

Can anybody please help settle an argument....

Does anybody know the birthplace of the greatest goalkeeper this country has ever seen....i say he was born on Ferrers Rd in Tinsley....my mate reckons he was born in Catcliffe and there is a website claiming he was born in Treeton.

Does anybody have concrete evidence stating his birthplace..

http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=2496 Tinsley

http://www.treetonweb.co.uk/family/banks.htm - Catcliffe

No wonder he was rarely beaten with that span!

Without any of your background news, I always thought he was born in Tinsley but can't say definitvely.

He is regarded as a Sheffielder, isn't Catcliffe part of Rotherham, likewise, Treeton?

Does anybody Know relatives or friends of the banks family that could possibly find out?

These sites are both claiming his birthplace.

My mom was called Binks and sat next to Gordon at school in Tinsley. She lived on Ferras road too.

I'll go ask her

My mom was called Binks and sat next to Gordon at school in Tinsley. She lived on Ferras road too.

I'll go ask her

I would be very grateful if you would ask her as this may solve whats getting a heated dispute

Ok

According to my mom he moved into Tinsley and joined in their school mid way through. He lived on Ferrars in the last end Terrace (known as the Villas) as you go up on the left, just before the semi's start.

As for being born there, she's positive he wasnt born in Tinsley.

There is hope, my uncle knew him well. I'll I.M him when he's next online

David

his brother used to have the betting shop next to the george at woodhouse ,he look just like him.they also had a bookies at catcliffe

I get very irritated by imprecision at times. Gary Cahill is said in Wikipedia to be born in Sheffield. In my "bible" Sky Sports Football Yearbook, he was born in "Dronfield". Two different counties!

I have always seen Banks as born "Sheffield" - but the alternatives mentioned are suburbs of Rotherham - based on my LEA knowledge. At the moment, I'm awaiting something definitive and I shall make good note of it when confirmed.

Ok

According to my mom he moved into Tinsley and joined in their school mid way through. He lived on Ferrars in the last end Terrace (known as the Villas) as you go up on the left, just before the semi's start.

As for being born there, she's positive he wasnt born in Tinsley.

There is hope, my uncle knew him well. I'll I.M him when he's next online

David

Ok he's online now in Arizona.

He also confirms he wasn't born in Tinsley. He moved there around 1948, he seem to think from Stoke... might be why he ended up back there.

he's claiming Gordon learned how to be a goally by spending every hour that god sends saving his shots on Tinsley Rec.

Theres apparently an autobiograaphy in his Moms attic.. I'll dig it out

David

Ok he's online now in Arizona.

He also confirms he wasn't born in Tinsley. He moved there around 1948, he seem to think from Stoke... might be why he ended up back there.

he's claiming Gordon learned how to be a goally by spending every hour that god sends saving his shots on Tinsley Rec.

Theres apparently an autobiograaphy in his Moms attic.. I'll dig it out

David

Thanks for your help matey

Nick Banks of Pulp (his nephew) should know, will ask his wife (long convoluted link) when I see her on Monday. May be too late to help if argument really heated, please throw no punches