"KEEP CLEAR" - Let Me Explain

I'm sure there's cameras up there, it wouldnt be hard to spot anyone stopping where they shouldn't, and then a nice £60 fine can be dropped in the post for em.

Either that or the snipers.

Yep.... American would come in handy :hihi::hihi:

Would that translate to "YO, MOVE YOUR ASS"

It's just a lack of patience.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. It's mostly true, but even the drivers who ARE patient have, in many cases, come to realise that if they don't block a yellow box, they'll never reach the other side of it because traffic coming from another direction WILL block it and prevent their passage.

It's just a lack of patience.

Last week I went through Sheffield (from St Mary's gate) without exceeding the speed limit and observing polite driving etiquete. I was behind a boy racer who went tearing off at every opportunity, braking hard at every light / junction.

I was still behind him at Hillsborough.

Isn't that just sooo satisfying? :D

Drivers block all sorts of junctions - surely if you're queuing in traffic and there's a side road, you can leave a space for people to get in/out even without a keep clear sign? Isn't it just common sense? Were people not told to do this when learning to drive, too?

You'd think the fire station would be fairly obvious, but I notice that commuting drivers are often on auto pilot and don't often demonstrate much though/awareness.

The difference between Keep Clear signs and a yellow box is that you're allowed to stop on a yellow box - as long as you're turning right and only waiting for oncoming traffic.

I don't think it's a patience thing making people stop where they shouldn't; at the junction of Gleadless Road and Carrfield Road almost everybody ignores the yellow box - and sometimes they stop on it to wave me through. Then they get surprised when I pointedly wave them on because they're blocking half the junction. Fools.

Vince

My brother is a Firefighter and he drives an Engine.

If perchance you were in the way of his vehicle on his way to a shout or blocking the exit to the station, I'm in no doubt that he would move you himself with the front of said engine.

You see it all the time, Keep clear or the yellow hatching. But in some peoples defence, the markings in a lot of places are so old and broken up they are hard to make out.

The difference between Keep Clear signs and a yellow box is that you're allowed to stop on a yellow box - as long as you're turning right and only waiting for oncoming traffic.

Vince

I always thought the yellow hatching meant you could not enter the box unless you can exit it without stopping.

/goes off to look at the highway code.

You're right ...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332

Rule 174

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

driving in sheffield is so frustrating, as you can imagine i get to do alot of it. here's a few of my hates:

people who apply the handbrake at traffic lights then fail to notice the amber light that means take off the handbrake.

busses and bus lanes and the new bus gate at hillsborough which is not very clearly labelled and cost me £30, it makes my teeth itch when busses dive out of buslanes and accross traffic regardless of common courtesy, they also fill me with rage when they park in bus stops and leave the rear end sticking out.

and my all time favourite is people who park s close to the rear of my van that i cannot open my doors.

i also told a snob to shift his effing car out of the disabled spot unless he wanted a disability to match his choce of location!

My biggest bug bear about other people driving, well parking are those who just dump their cars where eve is closest to their destination not giving a flying **** that they have half blocked the road. Those people who will park on the opposite side of the road when all other traffic is on the other side because 'my house is this side' effectively creating a chicane really annoy me!

Police and traffic wardens should be given powers to ticket cars parked discourteously or those causing any disruption to the normal flow of traffic. Either that of all traffic wardens should be given steel toe caped boots and allowed to kick in the lights of offending cars :D

Anyone remember the advert on TV in the late 70's/80's with the yellow thatched box on the road at a cross roads junction. Anyone who parked there was picked up by a big hand in the sky. The same should be done to these idiots who seem to think they can park in these area's outside Fire Stations. Out of all the emergency services the Firemen and the Ambulance services do the best job. They should have mobile crushers at the roadside to punish stupid/ignorant drivers and who knows......It may be their house that is on fire that they are going to. People just do not think or read the raod anymore, as it will slow them down getting to wherever they are going. Come to think of it Sheffield Council already do a fantastic job of slowing people down to and from work.