Tracing Glossop Family

I am trying to trace my family in Sheffield and would welcome any background information on the Glossop family.

Maybe someone could tell me about links between the Glossops and the Lumleys (Earl of Scarborough family)

Can anyone give me any information on a member of the Glossop family who lived in a caravan on Myersgrove lane near the Robin Hood public house.

I believe he died some years ago after suffering a tragic accident.

Guest Ant
Can anyone give me any information on a member of the Glossop family who lived in a caravan on Myersgrove lane near the Robin Hood public house.

Probably not the same guy I know. The name is right, he lived in a caravan for a short while after getting married, but he's alive and kicking in Canada. Goes by the name of Jack.

The family you want to know about lived just up the lane from Robin Hood pub at Little Matlock . It is situated at the top of Myersgrove Lane Stannington . I was afriend of Harold Gllossop also his family But that was up to me going into the army in 1956. The old man who lived in the shack up Myersgrove Lane was partof the family He was called Darkie Glossop. he was very famous or infamous ?. if you enquire round that area you will find what you need to know plus some good stories about old Darkie . i hope this helps. Marnham

I did not realise you wern,t in the country if you get in touch i will tell you all i know Marnham

Hi Marnham

I'd love to hear from you. I will leave a message on the inbox messages.

Thanking you

PopT

Hi Pop T I have not got enough posts in yet to be able to contact you yet . I definately will when i can. Ihave found a couple of addresses and phone numbers from the area where they lived. will get in touch Marnham.

Hi Pop T I tried to send you a message today. i guesed wrong and cleared message , send me your E Mail and i will do it again my E Mail [email protected]

my husband is darkie glossops grandson, his mother was darkies daughterthere are loads of glossops in sheffield and around the country

God the Glossops in Stannington are we talking about. Brian, Derek, loads of sisters i can remember the names of just now!

I want to thank the people who have posted and if there is anyone else out there who could help me with the Glossop Family History any help would be well appreciated.

PopT

God the Glossops in Stannington are we talking about. Brian, Derek, loads of sisters i can remember the names of just now!

I remember a Sandra Glossop.

Hi,

I am related to "Darkie Tom" Glossop in some way but not yet got that far down the family line, I have a few photographs of him and a family stood outside the caravan, my father always said they were the Gypsies of the family. The connection to the Earl of Scarborough (According to my Aunt Edith, who has since passed away) was that he was the father of John Glossop (My Great Great Grandfather) born to Elizabeth Glossop in Laughton En Le Morthen, there is no father recorded on his Baptism certificate, only Elizabeth Glossop, who was a Spinster. I've not found any proof that he was the father, but have been told the Earl had quite a few illegitimate children, so who knows??? My grandfather was John Glossop who lived on Rudyard Road, Hillsboro, my father was Stephen Glossop, who remebers darkie Tom but thought they were Gypsies.

For Marnham, I would love to hear any stories you have of Darkie Tom, did his wife die in suspicious curcumstances?? heard rumours of this but nothing concrete.

All the Best Barry Glossop of Sheffield.