Northern General Hospital - Agenda for Change

Does anyone here work at Northern General Hospital, or Sheffield Teaching Hospitals as a whole?

If so, I was wondering if you had gone through the 'Agenda for Change' and wanted to know your thoughts on it.

For those who don't know, the NHS is supposed to be bringing everyone's wages in line nationally, so if you do a certain job at the Northern General, if you worked at a Trust in Leeds doing the same job you should be on the same pay.

Which isn't always the case! I haven't had my offer yet, don't know why...

I don't have to take it though, as I'm on an STH contract. I'll see what it is first :)

Some people I know of owe the trust thousands if they take the offer!

Does anyone here work at Northern General Hospital, or Sheffield Teaching Hospitals as a whole?

If so, I was wondering if you had gone through the 'Agenda for Change' and wanted to know your thoughts on it.

For those who don't know, the NHS is supposed to be bringing everyone's wages in line nationally, so if you do a certain job at the Northern General, if you worked at a Trust in Leeds doing the same job you should be on the same pay.

STH is the last Trust in the country to implement it apparently. I am still awaiting my offer. Most have my colleagues have theirs but mine has gone AWOL. I have been told by colleagues who are currently E grades that they will be worse off on AFC and are sticking with their Trust contracts. It's lovely to feel valued isn't it ?

That's sort of what has been happening to us for the last couple of days. Just really demoralising to know what your employers actually think you're worth

i went through it when working for SCT and the PCT and benefited in both

i went through it when working for SCT and the PCT and benefited in both

Me too at the PCT:)

My wife went through this at the Hallamshire and was "rewarded" with an extra £2k and more holidays. Much as she is not going to turn this down, "agenda for change" has wasted taxpayers billions and is a totally stupid idea.

If something highlights the inefficiecies of the public sector versus to private sector this is it.

Think about it. We are talking about salary structures that have evolved over many years, for a variety of reasons. Some idiot sat in an office thinks it's a good idea to bring everybody's pay "in line" with everybody else is only ever going to result in p****d off staff and money wasted. A lot of staff are going to be "rewarded" with more money that they didn't ask for, and a lot of staff are going to be demoralised.

That's sort of what has been happening to us for the last couple of days. Just really demoralising to know what your employers actually think you're worth

I know what my managers think I'm worth, without any AfC!!! :D

Some idiot sat in an office thinks it's a good idea to bring everybody's pay "in line" with everybody else is only ever going to result in p****d off staff and money wasted. A lot of staff are going to be "rewarded" with more money that they didn't ask for, and a lot of staff are going to be demoralised.

What gets me is the fact that they've decided that I'm two grades lower than someone doing the exact same job for a different Trust within Sheffield. So they are trying to bring it in line, but there are still huge differences between Trusts.

Its a bit of a con really as a foundation trust does not have to follow national payscales and the comparisons are not made nationally they are only made locally. Although i did alright it only really goes on what qualifications you need for your job.

I am better off under AFC but it seems this is not the case for everyone, E grades seem to be worse off, some are having to repay thousands and before christmas, and it would seem that if they don't accept this deal they will lose unsociable hours pay, if you consider night workers salary that is a lot of money to lose. Just a note to those who are accepting AFC as well as the pay increase you are also entitled to extra days holiday, this is also backdated to 2004, this is not made obvious, and you have to chase this up through your'e manager and HR.

Its a bit of a con really as a foundation trust does not have to follow national payscales and the comparisons are not made nationally they are only made locally. Although i did alright it only really goes on what qualifications you need for your job.
FT's are in the same position as everyone - see http://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-conditions/pay-conditions-697.cfm#question422 no-one has to actually do it, it's just looked on as "representing good employment practice"

If a job fits a national profile then it will be that particular band - no questions asked. It's only when they differ from national profiles that they are agreed locally - this is where the differences in banding appear for similar jobs.