Sign in to follow this  

Bottomleys, any one remember it.

It was a newsagents on Pye Bank Close during the 60s.

The owner Mr Bottomley was a chubby guy and sold it to a bloke named Brian who's surname escapes me.

Any memories on this.

yep,i used to do a paper round from there,my route was through andover drive,grey st,and then the flats.

It was in between the butchers,and what was then the betting shop!!

john t

Originally posted by john t

yep,i used to do a paper round from there,my route was through andover drive,grey st,and then the flats.

It was in between the butchers,and what was then the betting shop!!

john t

Brian Warsnip took it over after him you probably did a paper round when he owned it.

We always called it Bottomleys even years after he left.

Yes I remember Bottomleys. They had a paper shop on Spital St. which was pulled down due to slum clearance in the 60's. before they moved to Pye Bank. They had a son called Glyn also a daughter but I can't remember her name. I expect Mr. & Mrs Bottomly Snr. have passed away now Glyn & his sister must be in thier late 50's / early 60's now.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Brian Warsnip took it over after him you probably did a paper round when he owned it.

We always called it Bottomleys even years after he left.

i remember that brian, i always thought he was brian bottomly, he was a right miserable git, next door to him was the butchers and on from theres was pheaseys the greengrocers, i lived on pye bank close in the seventies wonderful childhood there :)

aunty witch xx

I took the papers for Bottomleys in 1966. In fact I missed the extra time of the World Cup Final cos I was taking the papers round. He gave us a plastic holder with all the streets and numbers in for each round. I dropped mine and it broke. He wanted to charge me for it so I left and went to Marshall's. I had friends who lived just a stone's throw from Bottomley's.

All my relatives lived on Bottomly's doorstep in the upside down houses.

Was the woman who worked with Brian Worsnip called Pat.

She had a daughter called Leslie who went to school with me.

Old Tommy Holland had the butchers next door and maybe if your unfortunate enough to have a memory that goes back as long as mine does, remember the wool shop which became the betting office.