Police ignoring Buses & Taxi only route - London Road

That would be the law that says they're entitled to use bus lanes and bus gates, then.

I guess....

This is the third occasion I have witnessed such a blatent violation of road law.

What were the other two occasions?

Wearing a loud shirt in a built up area? Stepping on the cracks in the pavement? looking at you in a funny way?

I assume you don't have a law degree?

What were the other two occasions?

Wearing a loud shirt in a built up area? Stepping on the cracks in the pavement? looking at you in a funny way?

I assume you don't have a law degree?

No I don't have a law degree.

Same incident on the previous occasions.

Have you considered going out onto London Road at night, digging a huge pit in the bus lane and disguising it with leaves?

Have you considered going out onto London Road at night, digging a huge pit in the bus lane and disguising it with leaves?

You'd have a job on finding a part of london rd that's not already being dug up !!!

I would draw your attention to the following:

"Essential service vehicles shall be allowed to use bus lanes at all times. These would include:

Ambulance, Fire, Police, Coastguard, or any emergency service vehicle (whether on an emergency call or not)

Hospital vehicles, National Blood Transfusion service, and other essential medical supplies.

Any Doctor, Nurse or Midwife attending a patient.

Any vehicle conveying a person requiring urgent medical treatment to Hospital.

Any veterinary surgeon or animal welfare service attending or conveying a sick or injured animal.

Utility company vehicles en route to an emergency (gas,electric,water,etc)

Breakdown service vehicles en route to a breakdown (AA,RAC,etc)

Royal Mail vehicles

Meals on wheels services

Military vehicles

Funeral cortèges

Lifeboat crew responding to emergency call

Vehicles transporting prisoners"

More at http://www.abd.org.uk/buslanes.htm

You had a valid question though and it seems the police did themselves no favours by possibly fobbing you off.

I think if you read the web site properly, you will find that this is the ABD's wish list and not in fact law............:(

Because they're subject to the law like everyone else.

Other police officers will arrest them if they are seen to be breaking the law.

As long as their lights and siren are going, agreed.

If not then they should answer for their mistakes like everyone else has to.

I don't see the problem... the police must operate within the law. If they don't they should be sanctioned.

Well, it has been established that "Essential service vehicles shall be allowed to use bus lanes at all times. These would include: Ambulance, Fire, Police, Coastguard, or any emergency service vehicle (whether on an emergency call or not) ". So what is the issue here?

A police car has been driven down a bus lane, the driver of which is perfectly entitled to do so... Big Deal.

Just because someone "believes" they are not allowed to do it, they jump to a conclusion and start taking photos, then go on about how bad the Police are and threaten to write to the Police to explain their actions?? :loopy:

If they were that bothered (God knows why) all it should have taken was a 2 min check on Google to prove that they are in their right to drive down a bus lane and this "major incident" could have been ignored.

Just seems to me that the OP has obviously more time on their hands than they know what to do with and nothing better to do than waste Police time - leave them to get on with their job and if you must be a "saviour" then choose something worthwhile.

Don't let it bother you.

I'm sure if you got mugged, assaulted or shot, you wouldn't expect to wait for the police to drive round a bus lane.

Your frustration should be aimed at car drivers who flout the rules.

I think if you read the web site properly, you will find that this is the ABD's wish list and not in fact law............:(

Excellent. Let the debate continue. That is until anyone can provide a valid reference to an actual law allowing them to use bus lanes.

If they were that bothered (God knows why) all it should have taken was a 2 min check on Google to prove that they are in their right to drive down a bus lane and this "major incident" could have been ignored.

Just seems to me that the OP has obviously more time on their hands than they know what to do with and nothing better to do than waste Police time - leave them to get on with their job and if you must be a "saviour" then choose something worthwhile.

Can you please provide a link to the actual law stating they can use bus lanes?

Wasting police time? They do enough of this themselves by stopping to ask if people are "alright son?" while apparantly on the way to an emergency situation.

"The actual law" will be a Traffic Regulation Order passed by Sheffield City Council.

You can find it if you wish.

I will illustrate a SCC reference to its existence:

"..... Bus lanes separate buses and authorised vehicles such as taxis, emergency services and bikes from other vehicles, giving priority to buses. Bus and tram ‘gates’ allow buses, trams and authorised vehicles to use lengths of road that other traffic cannot ......."

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/schemes-projects/bus-lane-enforcement