Police ignoring Buses & Taxi only route - London Road

i think we're missing the point here......

......VETS????!!!!!

:loopy:

i think we're missing the point here......

......VETS????!!!!!

:loopy:

Erm...what?

Nobody has mentioned vets, only you?

I'm starting to picture him as a caped crusader who flies through the streets of S2 armed only with a cameraphone, taking pictures that lead to evil villians being jailed for life for allowing their dogs to urinate against lampposts.

Now this idea I like:D

I really question the common sense of those who think emergency services should be constrained by bus gates.

In an emergency situation I don't have a problem but while just driving around I think they should obey the rules like everyone else. I know the law says otherwise now but what is to stop a copper using a bus lane just to get to the cafe for his breakfast?

Erm...what?

Nobody has mentioned vets, only you?

they're on the supposed "can use a bus lane" list on one of the early posts.

(i came in a bit late!)

what is to stop a copper using a bus lane just to get to the cafe for his breakfast?

Bus Lane Brouhaha - Bobby Beats Builder to Breakfast Butty.

Hold the front page.

Or rather, don't.

They also get to wear rather natty hats whether they're on an emergency or not. Double standards, I tell ya.

Well, it has been established that "Essential service vehicles shall be allowed to use bus lanes at all times. These would include: Ambulance, Fire, Police, Coastguard, or any emergency service vehicle (whether on an emergency call or not) ". So what is the issue here?

I guess it depends on whether what you say above is true. I can't find anything that says it is. Everything I can find says that the police are only allowed to use the bus lane while attending an emergency and must have their siren and lights on.

The only place is the list posted from http://www.abd.org.uk/buslanes.htm.

Which is a wishlist and bears no legal standing.

A police car has been driven down a bus lane, the driver of which is perfectly entitled to do so... Big Deal.

Is he?

Just because someone "believes" they are not allowed to do it, they jump to a conclusion and start taking photos, then go on about how bad the Police are and threaten to write to the Police to explain their actions?? :loopy:

It's not loopy at all.

If they were that bothered (God knows why) all it should have taken was a 2 min check on Google to prove that they are in their right to drive down a bus lane and this "major incident" could have been ignored.

I just did that, and of the few results that were relevant, all claim police can only use it when attending an emergency and the siren and lights must be on.

Just seems to me that the OP has obviously more time on their hands than they know what to do with and nothing better to do than waste Police time - leave them to get on with their job and if you must be a "saviour" then choose something worthwhile.

Or they were 100% right, and your rant is as illogical as you perceive theirs to be ;)

I'm not saying they are or aren't (I don't know), just that if the OP is correct then there is a case to answer and that the police are not above the law (in theory).

Added: It seems it depends on the council. There is no "right" in law for police to use the lanes (exccept in emergencies), but under the changes to parking/traffic calming the police will not recieve a PCN.

So, (depending on the council) the police have no legal right to use them, but they won't get nicked for doing so (by the council). Clear as mud then.

they're on the supposed "can use a bus lane" list on one of the early posts.

(i came in a bit late!)

That's just some wishlist!

What can or can't use a bus lane (or gate) is defined in the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO)

In Manchester's TRO it defines the exemptions in terms of the use to which the vehicle is being put:

"Police, fire brigade or ambualnce purposes or any vehicle being used in persuance of statutory powers or duties"

Importantly, the TRO also says you can also use a bus lane "upon the direction or with the permission of a constable in uniform"

This is pretty standard TRO wording and from my recollection, the Sheffield one says much the same thing.

Don't waste your time or mobile battery. Nothing will be done. You will get a letter, but it will still happen. Move on to something nicer.

I havent seen the bus lane/gate that you refer to, so cant comment.

However, many bus lanes/gates are only in force during peak periods e.g 08:00 to 09:30 etc as stated the repeated road signs.

It amazes me why so many motorists still keep out of the bus lanes outside of these times. Perhaps they cant read.

Oh, and when there is a lane closed ahead on a dual carriageway, why does everone start queuing in the other lane so soon?

If everyone made full use of both lanes and then gave way alternately at the obstruction then it would prevent the long tailbacks that create gridlock on other junctions.

Rant over.

Oh, and when there is a lane closed ahead on a dual carriageway, why does everone start queuing in the other lane so soon?

If everyone made full use of both lanes and then gave way alternately at the obstruction then it would prevent the long tailbacks that create gridlock on other junctions.

Good point Bear, this gives me an idea of something for "The Caped-Badger" to do with his new found free time :idea:.

He could stand in-between lanes (maybe on the Parkway given its current problems) and direct traffic - I recommend he use a large black cape for such work :thumbsup:

:wave: