Police ignoring Buses & Taxi only route - London Road

The amount of times i have been driving my taxi up ecclesall road during rush hour and some prat has decided to block my path thinking i'm trying to jump the queue. Once i've actually had to get out of my car and show the person my badge and explain to them that we can use bus lanes.

As for the police using them i'm not so sure they can but i haven't the time to chase that one up.

Excellent. Let the debate continue. That is until anyone can provide a valid reference to an actual law allowing them to use bus lanes.

This says they have to be responding to an emergency:

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/AtoZ/atozDetail?ID=6990

People shouldn't allow the Police to fob them off, they rely on the fact that you'll assume they'll know the law better than you... that won't always be the case.

These documents also say the same:

http://norwich.gov.uk/intranet_docs/corporate/public/committee/reports/2007/Norwich%20Highways%20Agency/REP_NHAC_Use_of_Bus_Lanes_by_Non_Emergency_Ambulances_2007_03_08.pdf

This says they can use them, although this is in London and so may be very different.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/finesandregulations/4768.aspx

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/schemes-projects/bus-lane-enforcement/questions

What are 'Authorised Vehicles'?

Typically trams, cycles, motorcycles and taxis may be allowed to use these facilities - but this is indicated using symbols which are also used on other standard traffic signs. Other vehicles that are allowed to use these facilities in Sheffield are called 'Authorised Vehicles'. These are Private Hire Vehicles, some NHS vehicles and some Council vehicles that are used to transport children and other people to schools and special units. Other Council vehicles are not exempt from these restrictions. Marked Police, Ambulance and Fire Service emergency vehicles may also use these bus facilities at any time. It is not possible to apply to become an 'Authorised Vehicle'. The exemption is for types of vehicle carrying out specific functions, not for individual vehicles.

Sorted!

This says they have to be responding to an emergency:

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/AtoZ/atozDetail?ID=6990

People shouldn't allow the Police to fob them off, they rely on the fact that you'll assume they'll know the law better than you... that won't always be the case.

These documents also say the same:

http://norwich.gov.uk/intranet_docs/corporate/public/committee/reports/2007/Norwich%20Highways%20Agency/REP_NHAC_Use_of_Bus_Lanes_by_Non_Emergency_Ambulances_2007_03_08.pdf

This says they can use them, although this is in London and so may be very different.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/finesandregulations/4768.aspx

cgksheff has already provided the link which includes Sheffield's rules on bus lane/gate usage. As this 'incident' was in Sheffield I think citing the rules of other towns and cities is largely irrelevant. Unless of course what you're arguing is that we have a nationally recognised policy for this?

And yes, poor source material on my part earlier, but the point remains regardless.

finally :D good work Leg-End :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

badgerslikeh - I wonder what are you going to focus your valuable time / attention on now? :huh: People not indicating when turning? or cars parked slightly over the white-lines in Morrisons? or maybe even notifying the council when they have a light out on their Christmas Tree? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

cgksheff has already provided the link which includes Sheffield's rules on bus lane/gate usage. As this 'incident' was in Sheffield I think citing the rules of other towns and cities is largely irrelevant. Unless of course what you're arguing is that we have a nationally recognised policy for this?

And yes, poor source material on my part earlier, but the point remains regardless.

Calm down you nutter!

I was looking for other 'evidence', i found some material from other locations and shared it with the people interested in the discussion. I then found something relating directly to Sheffield and posted it along with a very helpful quote for all those people that can't be arsed following links and now it seems like the problem is answered.

Calm down you freak!

I was looking for other 'evidence', i found some material from other locations and shared it with the people interested in the discussion. I then found something relating directly to Sheffield and posted it along with a very helpful quote for all those people that can't be arsed following links and now it seems like the problem is answered.

I think that's what they call cross-posting; you beat me to it whilst I was writing.

Yes, the matter is indeed sorted.

Fair enough on the freak bit though :hihi:

badgerslikeh - I wonder what are you going to focus your valuable time / attention on now? :huh: People not indicating when turning? or cars parked slightly over the white-lines in Morrisons? or maybe even notifying the council when they have a light out on their Christmas Tree? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'm starting to picture him as a caped crusader who flies through the streets of S2 armed only with a cameraphone, taking pictures that lead to evil villians being jailed for life for allowing their dogs to urinate against lampposts.

I think that's what they call cross-posting; you beat me to it whilst I was writing.

Yes, the matter is indeed sorted.

Fair enough on the freak bit though :hihi:

I thought cross-posting was posting the same message into multiple threads?

I simply posted once, found some new evidence so posted again!

I thought cross-posting was posting the same message into multiple threads?

I simply posted once, found some new evidence so posted again!

I meant that you posted a short addition to your original point which rendered my post irrelevant whilst I was still writing it. I posted mine without knowing of your edit.

Is there an accepted term for that?

finally :D good work Leg-End :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It wasn't valuable time, I was walking to work. Did you fully read this thread?

It wasn't valuable time, I was walking to work. Did you fully read this thread?

Very good point :hihi: