Police ignoring Buses & Taxi only route - London Road

I was walking to walk this morning when I noticed a police car approaching the 'Buses & Taxis' only straight on junction near Lowfield School. They crept up to it real slow, nervously checking to see if anyone was around then, ignoring the sign went straight through.

This is the third occasion I have witnessed such a blatent violation of road law. Just as they passed through I got my phone out to take a photo in the hope I could report them. By the time I was in a position to snap they had gone through and pulled up next to me to ask:

(approximation of conversation follows)

"Is everything was alright son?"

"Fine, just unsure why you have violated the buses and taxi only rule"

"On our way to an emergency"

"Really? I can't see any flashing lights or hear the siren"

"Thats right, we're just receiving the report over the radio now"

My next line would have been:

"So, while receiving an emergency report you have time to stop, ask a pedestrian if he is feeling alright, engage in a 2 minute chat and then persue the call. Makes us all feel a little bit safer"

I thought better of it and just waved my hand and put my headphones back on before continuing to walk to work.

I'm absolutely certain it will happen again and I will get the photo I covet. I wonder whether the police would do anything about it though. Are there any police officers on this forum who are able to enlighten me as to why it is one rule for the public and another for yourselves?

Right, I know thats bad but whats the rules exactly for that actual bus gate? I live at a flat thats near Ponsfords, and I took the "Acess only" to mean I could use it, a mate of mine came down and we went through it at about 2am and he got pulled over and fined, I've taken people down Queens Road since but just wondering if I have any right to acess through it as it seems stupid to divert when its a straight road.

It could have been one of those police-car themed taxis that are so popular with people who have a uniform fetish.

Right, I know thats bad but whats the rules exactly for that actual bus gate? I live at a flat thats near Ponsfords, and I took the "Acess only" to mean I could use it, a mate of mine came down and we went through it at about 2am and he got pulled over and fined, I've taken people down Queens Road since but just wondering if I have any right to acess through it as it seems stupid to divert when its a straight road.

your not a bus,bike or taxi dont use it unless you live opposite

the school.

What a crock.

Police can go through bus lanes/tram gates, they have legal access whilst on their regualr patrol duties and even more dispensations whilst answering an emergency.

Can you imagine what it would be like on bus only routes if police couldn't actively patrol them?

What did you expect to get from snapping a picture of them violating a Bus gate? a reward??

In the words of many a criminal spoken to a police officer, "haven't you got anything bettter to do with your time?"

What a crock.

Police can go through bus lanes/tram gates, they have legal access whilst on their regualr patrol duties and even more dispensations whilst answering an emergency.

Can you imagine what it would be like on bus only routes if police couldn't actively patrol them?

What did you expect to get from snapping a picture of them violating a Bus gate? a reward??

In the words of many a criminal spoken to a police officer, "haven't you got anything bettter to do with your time?"

Indeed. Let them get on with the job, it's hard enough as it is.

I was walking to walk this morning when I noticed a police car approaching the 'Buses & Taxis' only straight on junction near Lowfield School. They crept up to it real slow, nervously checking to see if anyone was around then, ignoring the sign went straight through.

This is the third occasion I have witnessed such a blatent violation of road law. Just as they passed through I got my phone out to take a photo in the hope I could report them. By the time I was in a position to snap they had gone through and pulled up next to me to ask:

(approximation of conversation follows)

"Is everything was alright son?"

"Fine, just unsure why you have violated the buses and taxi only rule"

"On our way to an emergency"

"Really? I can't see any flashing lights or hear the siren"

"Thats right, we're just receiving the report over the radio now"

My next line would have been:

"So, while receiving an emergency report you have time to stop, ask a pedestrian if he is feeling alright, engage in a 2 minute chat and then persue the call. Makes us all feel a little bit safer"

I thought better of it and just waved my hand and put my headphones back on before continuing to walk to work.

I'm absolutely certain it will happen again and I will get the photo I covet. I wonder whether the police would do anything about it though. Are there any police officers on this forum who are able to enlighten me as to why it is one rule for the public and another for yourselves?

I honestly think you need to get a grip and stop wasting Police time.

As has been pointed out, the Police have legal access to various parts of the road network that the rest of us 'civillians' don't.

Do you have any particular issues with the Police?

I do have other things to do but as I walk that way it doesn't put me out to take a photo should the event occur.

I would like to take a photo so that I can write to the police with eveidence and then receive an explanation.

If the police were on route to an emergency I have no problem with them using the route but it does seem like a case of double standards if they use it when simply driving around town. One of the replies states that if they were on patrol they are allowed to do this, why then were they so sneaky in approaching the junction and why did they feel the need to stop for a chat?

What about police speeding? The number of times I've been driving along doing the legal limit with a police car on my tail, which will then procede to overtake me along a duel carrageway. Surely that isn't legal if they have no lights flashing.

I understand they have a tough job, but they'd pull you for going a couple of mph too fast, yet it is fine for them to do it!

I find it ridiculous that the police can arrest and lock people up against their will, yet when I lock someone in my shed for days on end, it's me that gets arrested!

Double standards or what? :loopy::huh:

Why would they stop to talk to me if they feel they haven't broken any rules? anyone?

Perhaps because you were getting a camera phone out to take a picture of the car and they were suspicious? I certainly wouldn't be that impressed if someone decided to start taking photos of me in my car as I was driving around.

Seriously - They were using a bus lane. So what. I'm sure they're entitled to use it. Don't see the problem? Seems like a serious case of splitting very tiny hairs.