House Overcrowding

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knew of a website that gave details of the ratio to tennants to bedrooms for housing.

Ive got 3children and a partner and living in a 2bedroomed house with one of the rooms being a small box room.

The council have said that because ive got 3kids under 8 im not really overcrowded even though i can only just fit a double bed in the box room and in the other i cant put three beds in unless ones in the middle of the floor.

Lee

thats correct information my friend had the same dispute but your oldest has to be 10years old

not too sure on this one cos iv got 2 children (boy and girl 7&4),and the answer i got when i asked was "you know your living room is classed as a sleeping space".

I couldnt believe what i was hearing,so i guess me getting a 3 bed is out of the question...:confused:

stinks dunt it but yea its right i believe i been waitin like 8 years for a bigger house i got 2 beds ones 17 ones 5 lol argue like cat n dog i gev up a few years ago n split the big room myself x lol

there was a website ive seen were it gave the breakdown of tennants:bedrooms but cant find it anywhere now.

im gutted lol

i dont know if im correct but it used to say on the back of your rent book if you still got one if not im sure the council websight that you go on to bid for houses states the ratios ive seen it somwhere also try there

A household is overcrowded if the permanent residents exceed the limits set out

in the table below. For this purpose all occupants count as 1 person, except a

lone parent who counts as 2 people.

Number of bedrooms Number of people

1 3

2 4

3 7

4 10

5 12

http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/resources/Lettings%20Policy%20document.pdf?ID=C015D4FF0BAA45628CD69ADC0D11632A

It used to say in the back of rent books how many your home should occupy

A household is overcrowded if the permanent residents exceed the limits set out

in the table below. For this purpose all occupants count as 1 person, except a

lone parent who counts as 2 people.

Number of bedrooms Number of people

1 3

2 4

3 7

4 10

5 12

http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/resources/Lettings%20Policy%20document.pdf?ID=C015D4FF0BAA45628CD69ADC0D11632A

of course, you have to remember that a child under the age of 1 is not counted as a person, and a child under the age of 10 is only counted as a "half-person" for the purposes of calculating the number of "persons" occupying a property.

So, you could have a husband and wife, with 11 month old Quads in a one bedroomed flat, but under those rules, there might be 6 people in that one-bed flat, but there will only be "two" persons occupying it...

or a husband and wife, in the one bedroomed flat, with 6 yr old twins, and under those riles ther will only be three persons occupying the property, despite there being four people actually in the place.

Me and my wife 16 year old daughter , 12 year old son, 3 other sons and a daughter under 10 andanother baby due in march , all in a 3 bedroom house and fighting to try and get a larger property.

I was also told when I moved into this property that the parlour was classed as a 4th bedroom and was in fact even on the rent as a fourth bedroom until it was pointed out that it was ajacent the kitchen and didnt have a fire door. it got put back to 3 bedroom and told we couldnt use it.

I got in touch with the over crowding dept to see if they could convert the door way to have a fire door so we could use this parlour room as a bedroom , they told use that they couldnt do it because its got to be officially classed as a 4 bedroom house before they can do it, but, it cannot be classed as a 4 bedroom house because it doesnt have the firedoor !!! chicken and the egg ? :loopy:

There's a lot of confusion about overcrowding rules, partly because people believe they can't be all that restrictive. The minimum by law is very cramped indeed and is proving difficult to change because of the impact on the overcrowding situation in London.

On the other hand here in Sheffield, there are other problems with the current rehousing system not working properly and the Council is being asked to support a Green Party motion on Wednesday to overhaul the policy thoroughly.

It's item 13 on the full council's agenda: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/full-council/agenda-7th-november-2007