Driving instructor - Megathread

Thanks, Mr Squirrel and Cruella.

Every person I talk to is giving me a different opinion about the type of lessons I should take (intensive VS regular 2-hour-long classes).

It's a pickle.

Thanks very much for your help though ...

never mind i easily found it on their website :/ bit dumb lol.

£24 an hour!

has anyone been with mint? and how good/bad are they and how reliable etc??

Thanks

Thanks, Mr Squirrel and Cruella.

Every person I talk to is giving me a different opinion about the type of lessons I should take (intensive VS regular 2-hour-long classes).

It's a pickle.

Thanks very much for your help though ...

You can only do what you feel is right for you.

Given your OP, the fact that your instructor often missed lessons, sent different instructors with different teaching methods and your own 'admission' that you are a nervous driver... I feel that with an intensive course you will benefit more by having spent longer in the vehicle at a given time with the same instructor giving you more time to concentrate on learning to drive rather than getting acquainted with different instructors - their methods and the vehicle itself.

Let us know how you get on. :)

My old instructor was absolutely great. Very easy going and patient and definately knows his stuff. Even managed to get me through my test first time. He is called John McGovern and his driving school is called Banner School of Motoring his number is 07970687957.

I passed about 10 years ago, and I know he still teaches, and I couldn't think of a nicer bloke.

My old instructor was absolutely great. Very easy going and patient and definately knows his stuff. Even managed to get me through my test first time. He is called John McGovern and his driving school is called Banner School of Motoring his number is 07970687957.

I passed about 10 years ago, and I know he still teaches, and I couldn't think of a nicer bloke.

I passed a year ago with Horizon. I tried learning again after having a 10year gap. Alan was brilliant and has amazing feedback on here. I passed first time and he never missed a lesson and was so incredily supportive and encouraging.

Do you no how much he charges?

Thanks

Just to add a bit more weight to the claim they are probably the most recommended driving school on the forum - Horizon are great! (see Saxon's post above for link)

I just did a course of refresher lessons with Gavin from Horizon. He's a very good instructor as he teaches in a clear and very structured way. He always does a review at the end of each lesson, identifying what went well and what went less well (!). You then get to think about what you need to focus on next time. Also, they say on thier website that they are good with nervous drivers - I can vouch that this is also true. Ten out of ten (-:

I'm a driving instructor based at the South West of the city (Bradway)

When you're choosing an instructor recommendation is very valuable.

Make sure that you understand any so called special offers. For example, if you have made a block booking, do the lessons have to be taken in two hour blocks? This is cost effective for the instructor, but a two hour stint can be exhausting for a new driver. More learning would probably take place in seperate 1 hour lessons.

Ask if your instructor is fully qualified. Some are trainees who will display a pink badge in their widscreen rather than the green one of a fully qualified instructor.

Make sure that you are comfortable with your instructor and that you feel that learning is taking place. You should be able to express any concerns and have all your questions answered fully. It's your money and your instructor should be working hard for it!

Mike Lancaster

07793 372335

Patricia Holden Driving School

0114 247 0900

07733 295 473

and she has a nearly 100% first time pass rate!

Highly recommend.