Driving instructor - Megathread

try greenways not sure of no but blokes called paul.

hes passed my partner, is currently giving his brother lessons and i had some with him had 2 stop for financial reasons.

hes a really good driving insructor and will actually let you drive on 1st lessonhel even give you a info pack on everything you have learnt

Mod Note

Threads merged, please use the search function before starting new threads

hi folks,

i am looking at learning how to drive, i am 30 and have decided its something i need to do now, i may need to go get my pre-vision now to get the ball rolling,

i cant afford BSM or AA prices, but am looking for a local school in sheffield that will not rip me off and are actually very good but cheep on the wallet

will accept any help i can and if there are any suggestions then plaese post links or numbers as i would really appreciate that,

cheers

Depressing how price is always the first question.

I suppose that's how it will always be.

If only the focus was on value for money rather than price - 1 hour lessons are not as effective as 90-minute or 2-hour lessons so are likely to cost more in the long run. If only the focus was on learning to drive and staying alive rather than on merely passing a minimum competence test.

Value for money, in my mind, turns on whether the instructor is fully qualified or not (look for the part-qualified, not-passed-the-instructional-ability-test pink licence), how experienced the instructor is, how many extra instructional and driving qualifications he/she holds over and above the basic ADI qualification (many hold none or very few), what Grade was awarded at the last DSA check test, what car is driven (how old?), whether he/she is involved with an uptodate approach to driver training embraced by LearnSafeDriveSafe instructors and by those affiliated to a2om/DriveIQ ...

I hear you say, "we pass a test and then learn to drive" - well, inevitably, yes, you will soon double your hours at the wheel and double your experience after getting past the DSA. But, with the current "what price to pass a test" mentality, we are destined to see young experienced drivers continue to crash all too often within their first six months of independent driving (in the last four years the death rate amongst young drivers is said to have doubled.)

If only ...

and off at a tangent ...

I paid my window cleaner £10 this week for just 20 minutes work.

For driving lessons in the Rotherham & S5 area of Sheffield call Karen on 07940 376287. Safedrive Driving School.

Havent looked through all the thread but does anyone know of an instructor, who doesnt have a brand new car? It sounds daft, but once ive passed (currently driving on a provisional with L plates :roll: ) I wont be driving a brand new corsa, lets be fair here! So im wanting to learn in a big ish but older car. Money isnt an issue but need a few hours a week, upto 4 possibly so any good deals out there? Im in S5 area. :)

Every car is different so whatever car you learn in will be different to the one you buy and drive all the time, so it's pointless looking for an instructor with an older model because whatever you learn in is going to be different to the car you end up with.

Hi, can anyone recommend a very patient and calm driving instructor, someone who doesn't shout. S10 area of Sheffield. My friend wants to take lessons but is really nervous about it and needs someone gentle!

Thanks

Hi - If you havent found an instructor try Dave at AM School of Motoring he is friendly, patient and reliable. I passed first time with him and can recommend him 100%. I think he charges about £19 per hour and if you buy 10 lessons he gives you the 11th free so its even cheaper than £19 per hour. His number is 0114 264 2472 or 07711 454394. check out http://www.am-som.co.uk

Good Luck

Manzmanz