Driving instructor - Megathread

Thanks for your comments. It is appreciated!

I too would definitely recommend sandra from horizon. Im currently learning with her and must say i find her teaching methods to be spot on. Too be honest i did'nt think i would stick at it because i was so nervous, but sandra built my confidence up and made me feel comfortable behind the wheel.

Hi TS-B

I put my recommendation on another thread on the same subject that was closed, so I'll put it here too. I used Stuart from Fox Driver Training - I know he covers that area because he used to pick me up from work in Broomhill. He was very nice, very patient and I felt comfortable - which was probably the most important thing for me! I have to admit I didn't pass first time! - but that was down to me turning left with a right signal on, which I can't exactly blame him for! I know he does a student discount because my nephew is learning and he's at Notre Dame.

Hope this helps. His mobile is 07960 188 222. I have his home number on a card somewhere, but I think it's also in the yellow pages.

Interestingly you must have the wrong person so I cannot be the only person who feels that the tuition was not up to standard. The only reason I did not complain was that I didn't know any better at the time. The main problem I had was the fact that in an hours lesson, I was maybe only behind the wheel 40 minutes (less for the first 10 hours), with her driving the rest to get me to the place where she wanted to start. With Sandra I did most of my learning on quiet estates which does not reflect real life situations. I'm not saying she's a bad driving instructor, I just think that, in hindsight, her method of teaching was not right for me. Some people may find her method of teaching completely suitable for their needs

After I changed instructor he was surprised that I had no confidence in traffic or roundabouts and set about teaching me on busier roads where I could build up my confidence much more quickly. He was a level 6 instructor with 17 years experience though.

Funny you should say that, i had Sandra for about 8/9 lessons and all i did was go left/right and around roundabouts! She drove me to the place where i needed to start and back again.

I too changed instructor after i moved and she was also surprised that i'd not done anything else. At least i've passed now, though.

To be fair i think everyone is different as to how quickly they expect to progress. I personally prefer to perfect one thing before i move onto the next.

I've just passed my test, and have had lessons with Richard from Martin Woodward for about 5 months. I really can't recommend him enough - I didn't have a car to practise on, so was only getting 1-2 hours worth of driving experience a week and still passed relatively quickly...

This brings back memories of my first test and the instructorand his name was George Fogg and he taught my dad, my sister and I in the Woodseats area in the 70's.

He used to smack our wrists witha ruler if we didnt adopt the 'ten to and ten past' hands position on the steering wheel. On my first test his car broke down at the handsworth test centre LOL! and the examiner ripped up the test sheet and got out and slammed the door in disgust... The clutch had gone and I was so nervous I thought I'd broke it - how we laughed ! He was a great guy did anyone else have him in Sheffield - What's your favourite driving instructor story ?

What's your favourite driving instructor story ?

My Instructor must be the best in South Yorkshire.

He's too damn busy to be flogging his services on a Forum.

Has anybody learnt to drive with JDM Driving School?

I have a good offer of block bookings and would love to hear your opinions/reviews before I go ahead with them...

Cheers :)

Yes, me and I'd definitely recommend them, though it's a few years ago now when it was a smaller operation (just Alan the proprietor) so I can't vouch for any of the others.

There's a bigger 'recommend a driving instructor' thread on here somewhere which also has some comments about them.

JDM have a very good reputation

My boyfriend is currently learning to drive with them and is very happy