I have stopped smoking

i threw them all away

:gag::gag: well least it shows you are comitted (or is it want comitting) :hihi::hihi:.

Keep it up, the hardest bit is well past now :D:D

Its thirty six years since I quit smoking (when the warning labels appeared on the packets, I simply stopped putting them in my 'gob'). I have never regretted it.

Just don't fall into the trap in a few weeks time when someone offers you a fag and you think "Well, it was easy to quit the last time, so if I start again stopping will be easy". It won't!

I stopped smoking 4 weeks ago and i cant believe it because i didnt that i would be able to do it

Congrats if you really wanted to and did not feel 'pressurised' in to it.

I gave up a while ago - I honestly cannot remember when 6 months, 8 months, a year??

Anyway, 22 years on and off (mostly on) smoking. Never more than 15 to 20 a day. In the last few years I switched to roll ups and, although I probably smoked more than 20 roll ups a day, they were significantly smaller and contained far less tobacco than a conventional filtered cigarette. Anyway, that's beside the point.

Point is, I had stopped a couple of times in the previous 22 years, once for about 6 months, then I started again through boredom.

The biggest problem I found, apart from the habit of having a cig after a meal, when you first wake up, down the pub and so on, was knowing what to do with my hands.

Non-smokers will not understand, but when you stop smoking you suddenly become aware of your hands and that they have nothing to do.

I quit after I had been ill for two days - extremely high temperature (41+ C). It wasn't as bad as it sounds - I sweated alot and I felt drained of energy, but nothing else.

After two days, everything returned almost to normal. I rolled a ciggie, took a drag and nearly threw up. The taste of the smoke on my tongue :gag:!

Haven't smoked since. I consciously met all my habit-routines head on - my thinking was that if I could deal with not smoking after a meal, if I could deal with not reaching for the baccie when I woke up, if I could go to the pub without feeling the need for a cig, then I had cracked it.

The pub 'routine' really did test me. It took me months of visits before I felt fully cured :D.

Now all I need is the number for AA :hihi:

Just don't fall into the trap in a few weeks time when someone offers you a fag and you think "Well, it was easy to quit the last time, so if I start again stopping will be easy". It won't!

The voice of experience.

I've done that... several times:gag:. Silly boy.

Nice work Charlotte, make sure you put all the money you spend on ciggies in a box, so you can treat yourself.:thumbsup:

p.s can't believe you chucked em out.:hihi:

well done to you charlotte, you must have stopped not long after me, i stopped 37 days ago.

i cant say its been easy as such but its been easier than last time i quit. i've quit then started again a couple of times, the longest time i have quit for is 3 months & that time i started smoking again because i was very drunk in the pub & someone offered me a fag & i drunkenly took it.

i say its been easier this time because while i'm drinking all the smokers are outside smoking & i dont get a craving plus when they come back inside i can tell how much they smell.

even if i have been round smokers & i have had a craving one site i have been using to help me quit explained this visulisation technique. you watch the smoker take a drag off a fag & visulise the smoke going down the windpipe into the lungs then 90% of the smoke sticking to the lungs making them black with tar & the rest (10%) of the smoke comming back up & been breathed out. that has helpled me alot aswell as asking the smoker in question wether they enjoyed that fag.

when i started smoking again after my last quit i thought i could be a social smoker, dont make the same mistake because you cant. i've learnt that now & know that its all or nothing.

have you got a quit counter to show you how much your saving & how many cigs you've not smoked? you can get them through http://www.whyquit.com

i have stopped nicotine for 1 month, 6 days and 36 min's (37 days). i have not smoked 555 death sticks, i've saved £144.62 & 1 day, 22 hours & 16 mins of life.

yeah make sure you treat yourself & you can do this its so doable.

Good for you :)

The difficult bit is staying given up. I took it up again once after 3 years without. This time feels permanent though, six years.

Don't be tempted into thinking just one ciggie wont hurt. It will.

Well done, you must feel great. Alistair is right, one cigarette will hurt. I had given up many times and it always meant I was back smoking again.

I gave up a year ago, refused to have one and I am still smoke free.

You are over the worst, keep up feeling good about it and think of yourself as a non-smoker.

Even if you hit a problem, don't thinkd a cigarette will help.

Good luck at sticking to it.

I stopped smoking 4 weeks ago and i cant believe it because i didnt that i would be able to do it

That's great!! Really brave thing to do & hope you manage to keep it up!!!

Well done! I couldn't believe I would be able to do it, having heard so much about it being near-impossible and leading to endless misery from then on. But they were wrong. It is possible and it makes your life so much better. I hit the five year point this summer - it's easy to remember for me, as it's Elvis' death anniversary though there's no connection between the two. That would be weird. :D