What should I know about Florida and Caribbean?

my wife and i along with some friends went on a carribean cruise in feb this year( enjoyed it so much have booked another 2 cruises),

st lucia is a place to go, if you can get on a jeep trek, real eye opener shows how the locals really live away from the glitz.,

grenada too is a lovely place to go, as is st kitts, liked antigua too, not so keen on dominica. if you can get an excursion onto catalina island you won't be sorry you went.

i really can't tell you how great a time we had, thats why we've booked again, if your a king or a pauper theres something for you in the carribean.

only draw back is when you go off to explore with out a guide your pounced upon by hoards of taxi touts, some charge you one price to take you to a secluded beach then want 2 & 3 times that price to bring you back, never fell foul of that one our selves but know of several couples that did. oh and the american dollar is roughly equvilant to 2 carribean dollars, not a problem in the bigger stores & shops as everything is marked up in both, but in the local markets everything is marked in dollars but not normally which dollar so buyer beware the market traders will gladly take american dollars if you don't ask .

OOO In Miami I can recommend Monty's Crabhouse in Coconut Grove. Their happy hour on the patio is awesome. You get a tray with ice and then you get stone crap claws $2 each, oysters $1 each and shrimp 2 for $1 then 2 for 1 drinks it is awesome. Then go to the main drag of the grove to shop and people watch.

FOr a good upscale meal I recommend. Cafe Abbaracci in Coral Gables.

Not 100% sure of where we are staying in Florida....Kissami or something similar sounding me thinks!

Going to Miami shopping for the day and then to the Everglades, a beach BBQ and some alligator place.....

Caribbean, it's a cruise, so Dominican Rep for 2 days, Virging islands for 1 day, Nassau in Bahamas (sp?) for 1 day and can't remember the other one!! Then 2 days full cruising in amongst that.

Bit nervous about the cruise as i'm do not posses sealegs of any shape or form! Can you imagine if you got ill?!

Kissimmee is a good 4 hour drive from Miami. where is your Cruise out of Maimi, Port Everglades, Or Port Canaveral. Where are you flying into?

Dear Wondertec, Hope you enjoy your trip. It seems that you've had loads of advice about what and where to go already. One thing I might add is to use your credit cards as much as you can, as you won't get ripped off (as much) with the exchange rate and having to change money all the time. Around 3/400 dollars in $20 bills should see you okay for incidentals. Don't bring sterling travellers cheques or cash as, believe it or not, most banks over here are not geared up to change money.:confused: I've been over here for over twenty years now and I've never seen the dollar as low against the pound or euro, so you should have a great time.8) All the Best, ALZYMER.

I love Florida, Was there last year for xmas. It was great listening to the xmas songs playing on the radio 'let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, ... while sunbathing next to the pool with a nice cool drink and thinking about those back home freezing their bottoms off. The highlight for me was watching the live shuttle launch on tv and looking out of our villa and seeing it going up into the night sky. It was so bright.

Gator land is a great place to visit and if you get chance go and feed them though that was a bit scary being so close to 20 foot gators while holding a whole chicken in your hand.

Another place not to miss in Universal studios. Had a great time there and walmart really is the best place to shop, it has everything! Also as you go into Walmart they have coupon books with loads of money off vouchers which can be used for just about every attraction there.

Be warned though they put garlic in everything they cook, even mashed potato. I hate garlic and must have lost over a stone in weight with not eating in the month I was there.

Kissimmee is a good 4 hour drive from Miami. where is your Cruise out of Maimi, Port Everglades, Or Port Canaveral. Where are you flying into?

We have to drive down to Fort lauderdale to get the cruise....

Not 100% where we are flying into, can you fly straight into Florida?

be careful in miami stay safe. Also i looked at the weather the other day it's 81 degrees so be prepared for it to be hot.

You can fly into Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale,Jacksonville, Tampa lots of cities in Florida. It is probably as large as Great Britian if not a bit larger. Kissimmee is near Orlando Airport. Ft. Lauderdale has it's own airport but I don't know if they do international flights. It is only about 30 minutes from Miami.

Orlando and miami are 4-4.5 hours drive from each other.

You can fly into Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale,Jacksonville, Tampa lots of cities in Florida. It is probably as large as Great Britian if not a bit larger. Kissimmee is near Orlando Airport. Ft. Lauderdale has it's own airport but I don't know if they do international flights. It is only about 30 minutes from Miami.

Orlando and miami are 4-4.5 hours drive from each other.

there are three airports in orlando for some reason. I went over recently and stayed with a friend. I really recommend you hire a car as public transport seems non existent

The Main airport has the airport call letters MCO that is the international airport closest to Disney and everything.

Yes A car is a must. Public transportation is limited to a few downtown buses and cabs.

Not 100% sure of where we are staying in Florida....Kissami or something similar sounding me thinks!

Going to Miami shopping for the day and then to the Everglades, a beach BBQ and some alligator place.....

Caribbean, it's a cruise, so Dominican Rep for 2 days, Virging islands for 1 day, Nassau in Bahamas (sp?) for 1 day and can't remember the other one!! Then 2 days full cruising in amongst that.

Bit nervous about the cruise as i'm do not posses sealegs of any shape or form! Can you imagine if you got ill?!

I'm currently out working in the caribbean. the weather is very hot about 34C every day but feels hotter due to the humidity:cool:. The seas around the caribbean are quite flat & as you are on a cruise ship you won't feel any movement. Dom Rep. got hit with a tropical depression about 2 weeks ago killed about 88 people as it passed over the caribbean, Blew up our TV :o.

I cant wait to get back to sheffield for christmas 5 weeks & counting